Jake Virtanen

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Jake Virtanen

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 am One where u load up on high picks by trading vets at the deadline. Tanking. Going "all-in" on a rebuild

Feb 2017
This doesn't work anymore. The way the odds ore set for the draft it makes zero sense to try this! The teams that did this successfully were guaranteed top picks when generational talents were up in the draft. And even then it took years of suckage, like worst team in the league with massive hits to the revenue for years where they almost were sold to a different city and then all of a sudden they picked up the next great players to help the team start winning but there's no league conspiracy, type suckage.

Never was going to happen for Vancouver, especially now.

You need to slowly rebuild doing what you can, drafting well through the top 3 rounds. Developing your prospects into roll type players. Constant turnover of young talent throughout the lineup. And mix in some elite level talent from a couple drafts and really build around them.

Back to Jake, I'm extremely happy h's turned things around! He always had the tools but it was the toolbox that was the issue. Rumours of him not following Canucks management recommendations and doing his own training, his dad apparently getting involved, not really taking the job seriously had me concerned about him as a player.

He's exactly what we need and always has been, he could be huge in the playoffs with his style of play and grit. Keep up the good work Jake!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 am Jake isn’t going to ever solve basic algebra for ya but he’s discovering what he does best and how to help the team and that’s all we can ask for for now. I anticipate some beast mode hockey in big games out of Jake as he matures. Would not be surprised with his size speed and natural abilities - shot etc., I believe he will be a very good weapon in the playoffs eventually. The thinking will come from Petty Hughes Horvat and Boeser.
A winning team will need a mixture of players. Besides talented players, a team still needs some North and South players.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 am
This I'll agree on and its the main reason the rebuild sputtered.
So we're 3 years into the rebuild, and you're saying it sputtered?

I guess that's what I'm not agreeing with, they're finishing 3 years in the basement and it sure looks like they'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot, which would actually be an extremely quick turnaround.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:49 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 am
This I'll agree on and its the main reason the rebuild sputtered.
So we're 3 years into the rebuild, and you're saying it sputtered?

I guess that's what I'm not agreeing with, they're finishing 3 years in the basement and it sure looks like they'll be in the hunt for a playoff spot, which would actually be an extremely quick turnaround.
Well this is specifically the source of all the blob/dude angst around here so i wont bother with debating when and where it all began

The summary is we have a stable full of forward prospects now and are busy working on the defense. The future is bright
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

I guess if it wouldn't have "sputtered", we could've had Matthews, Laine, or even McDavid, but hey, we got EP so is there really much difference between the two except being able to give the Sedins a dignified end to their careers.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What team is getting better value in return with these players of theirs

Ehlers - 15 goals 12 assists $6 million per year until 2024-25 NTC expires UFA

Virtanen - 11 goals 7 assists $1.25 million per year until 2018-19 expires RFA

Nylander - 9 games 0 goals 2 assists $6.9 million per year until 2023-24 NTC expires UFA

Remember both Nylander and Ehlers were god awful in the playoffs last year. Absolute no shows. Massive contracts for a couple of Mason Raymonds

Benning is clinical, tactical and patient

Blob wanted Nick Ritchie - 4 goals 8 assists
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Was Ehlers healthy in past years playoffs?

How many games has Nick Ritchie played this year?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:40 am Was Ehlers healthy in past years playoffs?

How many games has Nick Ritchie played this year?
Which of the 4 teams is getting better value per dollar? Rank 1-4 best value to worst. Answer the question for once. Ritchie makes $1.5 million per until 2019-20

Blob you’re always the one who keeps bringing up the return value in Eriksson, Sutter, Sbisa etc. This shit is right up your arse-hole
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ehlers played 15 of the Jets 17 playoff games. Tallying 0 goals and 7 assists, yet you blame it on injuries. I find this intetesting that you give $6 million per Ehlers this sort of injury mulligan and with how irate you get on contract values (Sutter, Eriksson, Sbisa) but whoop Olli’s ass constantly while neglecting his back surgery and knee surgery this season. Interesting how you move goal posts, Blob. It’s tough keeping up
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jake keeps doin what he's doin and one could argue: One of the best bargains in the league at this juncture in time. Awesome! :rockin:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:16 am Ehlers played 15 of the Jets 17 playoff games. Tallying 0 goals and 7 assists, yet you blame it on injuries. I find this intetesting that you give $6 million per Ehlers this sort of injury mulligan and with how irate you get on contract values (Sutter, Eriksson, Sbisa) but whoop Olli’s ass constantly while neglecting his back surgery and knee surgery this season. Interesting how you move goal posts, Blob. It’s tough keeping up
I know like injuries and games played actually factor in.

Tough for a guy with no team sports background whatsoever to figure that out I guess. I thought spandex mountain biking was kind of a team sport though
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Crawling under tables at the 5 as a 12 yr old kid is an olympic sport I'm pretty sure
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 pm Jake keeps doin what he's doin and one could argue: One of the best bargains in the league at this juncture in time. Awesome! :rockin:
Thanks for confronting the question for Blob head on, Mickey! All the while Blob deflects defends $6 million per Nikolai “Mason Raymond” Ehlers playoff woes (citing injuries) while throwing a Canuck prospect whom in one season has had knee and back surgery under the bus
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

micky107 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 pm Jake keeps doin what he's doin and one could argue: One of the best bargains in the league at this juncture in time. Awesome! :rockin:
Price point is weak argument. If he produced like Ehlers or Nylander, nobody would care how much he makes. A high first round pick, you hope the kid becomes a key point producer for the team. Jake may become that, but we’ll see.

Regardless, the tools he brings that the other two don’t in terms of physicality make me not mind Benning picking him. I’m not convinced that either Ehlers or Nylander will contribute in the postseason the way they do in the regular season. I don’t see them having the grit and will to fight through the checks when the going gets heavy in the playoffs. After seeing previous Canucks playoffs when the team got pushed around, I’m keen to see what kind of impact Virtanen makes in the second season.

Just have to give it a couple years. 😉
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.