The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:26 am Sutter isn't a blemish
He’s like a big oily mole with a clump of hair growing out of it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sutter and Eriksson will probably be the most vet players here!

SEDINS RETIRE FOR FUCK SAKES!!!!! like beating a deadhorse.
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 am
Would you trade him for Andrew Ladd?

Ladd is 32 years old his $5.5 million Cap Hit NTC contract carries him til the end of the 2022-23 season. He will be 38 years old when his contract ends

In 42 games Ladd has 9 goals 9 assists
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:36 am

Ladd is 32 years old his $5.5 million Cap Hit NTC contract carries him til the end of the 2022-23 season. He will be 38 years old when his contract ends
No I just would have never traded or signed for him in the first place. Not my type of player for the dollars he’s earning. Oh well he isn’t going anywhere and neither is Louis.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am

No I just would have never traded or signed for him in the first place. Not my type of player for the dollars he’s earning. Oh well he isn’t going anywhere and neither is Louis.

Do you agree that every team and GM has a bad contract or two under their belt, current and past?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I believe you had posted on a few occasions your desire for this team to go after the UFA Andrew Ladd

Do you agree that every team and GM has a bad contract or two under their belt, current and past?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:47 am

I believe you had posted once your desire for this team to go after Andrew Ladd

I wanted Ladd at lower term and money. Ditto with Brouwer.

Sure every team has a bad contract. We have two and a couple other weak ones as well. Thing is other than Boeser and Tanev we don’t have any bargain contracts. And even Tanev is hurt so fucking much he isn’t really a great bargain anymore.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sutter will be as old as Andrew Ladd is now when Sutters contract ends. The Modified NTC portion of Sutters contract kicks in after next season for the last two years of his contract. Ladds $5.5 Million cap hit will take him 5 more seasons after this until he is 38. Remember, Bubbles badly wanted Benning to sign him and Brouwer when they were UFA's. Brouwer is 32 the same age as Ladd and has 3 goals and 9 assists in 45 games. Brouwers $4.5 million cap hit contract takes him to two more seasons after this season. Bubbles has an eye for UFA players to sign.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol learn to read I said I didn’t like the term or the $$ for either guy.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Talking to myself<<<<

2020 Jim Benning GM of the fucking year.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am Lol learn to read I said I didn’t like the term or the $$ for either guy.
So should the Islanders znd flames GMs get fired for those terrible signings?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am Lol learn to read I said I didn’t like the term or the $$ for either guy.
So should the Islanders znd flames GMs get fired for those terrible signings?
I’m not sure. I don’t follow these teams as close as the Canucks
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The trade for Sutter wasn’t bad. I think we overpaid simply because the Pens weren’t going to be able to re-sign him. I would take Sutter over Bonino most days.

The optics are skewed because immediat after the trade Bonino got to play with Kessel and Hagelin behind a top 6 anchored by Crosby and Malkin.....no team can match up even remotely close when your 3rd line has Kessel and Hagelin on the wings. I mean really, Phil Kessel in the bottom 6? Bones has been a nobody again since leaving Pittsburgh. He had a strong season and playoffs followed up by a lesser season. Won a pair of cups, then left because he wanted Sutter money, Nashville paid him and he has given them 9 points in 33 games.

So the trade was good.

The contract extension was bad.

As far as trades to Benning has made a couple of head scratchers, but not many. It’s the signings and re-signings that feel out to lunch.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:35 am Sutter and Eriksson will probably be the most vet players here!

SEDINS RETIRE FOR FUCK SAKES!!!!! like beating a deadhorse.
At this point, I would much rather buyout Eriksson (or miraculously trade him) and keep the Sedins at a serious discount. To me, the Sedins are one of the major factors that stop this team from being Edmontonesque - they are true leaders (whether you like [or agree with] their leadership style or not). For sure, they aren't nearly as effective as they once were, but if they could stay as third line players until youth legitimately take their spots, I see benefit in that.
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:47 am Do you agree that every team and GM has a bad contract or two under their belt, current and past?
RD, do you agree that a "Genius" should be held to a higher standard than the average (or "every") NHL GM?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:47 am Do you agree that every team and GM has a bad contract or two under their belt, current and past?
RD, do you agree that a "Genius" should be held to a higher standard than the average (or "every") NHL GM?
DC, it's great to see you use the word "Genius" in regards to GMJB.

This thread should be entitled "Is Jim Benning a Genius?"
____
Try to focus on someday.