The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:57 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:30 pm I would honestly rather have a top line centre and let Bo carry the second line. I know he’s our heir apparent for number one centre but I think he’s better suited to the number two spot.
I’ve always thought this way about Bo. I think he’s the heir apparent for the captaincy, but he would be an amazing 2nd line center. Probably the best in the league.

If he could end up with a pair of elite wings though, he could be a Patrice Bergeron kind of top line guy.

We need a real playmaker for centre. Bo is a drive to the net, pass sometimes type of guy. He’s great, love the guy and a true top six. I’d just love to have Tavares is all, or a player like him, to be the number one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning is a genius, he signed Gagner last summer as a way to get to his buddy Tavares
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm Benning is a genius, he signed Gagner last summer as a way to get to his buddy Tavares
Can you only imagine how he would fire up this fan base. Is there any smoke to this or is it more wishful thinking than...
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:50 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm Benning is a genius, he signed Gagner last summer as a way to get to his buddy Tavares
Can you only imagine how he would fire up this fan base. Is there any smoke to this or is it more wishful thinking than...
If he came and Dahlin came and Tryamkin came back.

I’d blow Don Cherry’s dog
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Shit that’s no good man
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Looks like your safe Blobby.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude pos wrote:Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm Benning is a genius, he signed Gagner last summer as a way to get to his buddy Tavares
No truth to it. It’s all good fun and rumour mongering.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:19 pm
RoyalDude pos wrote:Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm Benning is a genius, he signed Gagner last summer as a way to get to his buddy Tavares
No truth to it. It’s all good fun and rumour mongering.
4/20 kind of smoke
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nuckster wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:22 am
SKYO wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:57 am What components the current Canucks have to build around for the future:
____ - HORVAT - BOESER
Dahlen - PETTERSSON - Eriksson
____ - GAUDETTE - Virtanen
First of all they're gonna have Petterson on the wing, at least until he proves himself.
Yes I realize that, but in time they will have to convert Pettersson to center if they ever want to plan to build a Championship team, with the all-round Canadian center with the Euro center ftw.

Pens
crosby
malkin

Hawks
toews
____

Avs
sakic
forsberg

Redwings
yzerman
fedorov
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

What a long frikin process wut? No instant gratification here! When Horvat got injured late in the fall, it was like, well so much for this season, what's next? So we wait 4 mos. for a lottery that we just know is NOT going to deliver. Then it's waiting 2+ more months for the draft and then Oct then... kinda do it all again the next year while slowly improving and waiting for yet more draft picks to come along... and another year or two before reaching a meaningful level of competitiveness. Err gawd, im 55 now, i'm apt to be 60 before we sniff at a second round in the playoffs. An just think about All the diatribe, speculation, and drama that will play out on this here board between now and then!?

Yeah not so keen about these here frikin rebuilds. Probably have a stroke by the time we get to the 'promised land' and an outright heart attack if we actually get to the holy grail. I guess we have to be a bunch of hardy canuck tards to hang in until that long eh? Well until we get there, G'day my fellow long-sufferers - blog on, while some of us lurk away on the sidelines on this slow rebuild train.
cc oldtimer
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Nothing wrong with telling the truth.
I feel the same way most of the time.
Doesn't help seeing other cities carrying on with all the party-party, rock on shit either.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nuckster wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:53 pm What a long frikin process wut? No instant gratification here! When Horvat got injured late in the fall, it was like, well so much for this season, what's next? So we wait 4 mos. for a lottery that we just know is NOT going to deliver. Then it's waiting 2+ more months for the draft and then Oct then... kinda do it all again the next year while slowly improving and waiting for yet more draft picks to come along... and another year or two before reaching a meaningful level of competitiveness. Err gawd, im 55 now, i'm apt to be 60 before we sniff at a second round in the playoffs. An just think about All the diatribe, speculation, and drama that will play out on this here board between now and then!?

Yeah not so keen about these here frikin rebuilds. Probably have a stroke by the time we get to the 'promised land' and an outright heart attack if we actually get to the holy grail. I guess we have to be a bunch of hardy canuck tards to hang in until that long eh? Well until we get there, G'day my fellow long-sufferers - blog on, while some of us lurk away on the sidelines on this slow rebuild train.
The rebuild should have started in 2013 with the Corey Schneider trade. Think if Eye Bags didn’t bungle his second first rounder and came out of that draft with Bo Horvat and Shea Theodore. Instead he lost a power struggle with the Italians and was forced to hire Tortorella. Team shit the bed and both Eye Bags and Fonzerella got the boot.

So now you get Elmer interviewing for the job and tells Frank Aquillini that the team can be rebuilt on the fly or re tooled... whatever. He starts flogging picks and takes a mediocre package for Kesler that should have included more future pieces. The Canucks got every single bounce to their way to a playoff spot and get raped in the first round by the Flames in embarrassing fashion. Then Elmer tries to reload trading more picks for Sutter and guys like Gudbranson and signs a slug like Eriksson. Around Feb 2017, the light finally goes on for someone whether it’s Elmer, Trevor or the Italians. The rebuild begins in earnest.

Fact is the hard part is still coming. I see a few more years of pain and no playoffs. I think this thing would be a fuck of a lot further along had they started the rebuild 3 1/2 years earlier. You’ll be a pensioner when they play meaningful games in May again.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Sutter and Lockwood are still Canuck property

Bonino, Clendenning and Gustafson are no longer property of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Bonino would not have re signed with vancouver and resigned with Nashville for the same amount of money as Sutter

Forsling toiled down on Chicago’s farm the last 3/4’s of the season with Clendenning while the Blackhawks defence is a tire fire. Forsling a disposable asset that helped us landing our current assets Sutter and Lockwood

3 years left on sutters contract. After this year the last 2 years of his contract modified to a 15 team list he has to provide. Sutter will be 29 when the last 2 years of his modified contract begins. A very trade-able asset come then

Again, the Sutter trade isn’t the the tire fire you claim it to be Bub, but don’t let that stop your chicken little doom and gloom. The trade was brilliant asset management for the Canucks. Jimbro will be revered when he has finished building his Rome

Seriously who the fuck cares about the Eriksson contract. Every team has their Eriksson, see Ladd, see Okposo, see Lucic, see Alzner, see Nielsen. His stats are right in line with those UFAs. No asset was lost acquiring him. We are not a team now that has to be concerned with the cap

All teams try to field a competitive teams every year, sacrificing futures for winning now, including potential lottery teams, see Stepan trade, see Griffin Reinhart trade, see Hamonic trade, see Ottawa, Duschene and Burrows acquisitions. Wow apparently only Benning does this

And again, Bubbles ignoring the demands of this fickle fan base, gate money, the current contracts (respect for the Sedins) and owners. But carry on my wayward son, their will be peace when you are done
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nobody is chicken little. Just pointing out the obvious that the rebuild would have been damn near complete had it started at the 2013 draft. Could have been playoffs maybe next year and the twins still around to anhor a 3rd line and 2nd pp unit. They saw this team was still 3-5 years away so they said fuck it. Lots of blame to go around, Gillis, Elmer, Trevor and of course Frank. John Tortrella for all his faults was the only one that had the balls to say it publicly
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m not a huge fan of everything Benning has done. The real mystery is how much if this “retool” on the fly came from ownership. Remember as soon as Gillis wanted to rebuild, the Aquas fired him. When Nonis refused to trade futures for vets - Richards and Jokinen, he was fired. Let’s be honest, these silver spooned, born into it, owners havent a clue, nor the heart, and have been one of the major reasons for what’s gone on.

One Sedin instead of two may have made it easier to trade and kick start a rebuild. The canucks were never going to trade the twins, so doing a full gut rebuild with the current contracts wasn’t as simple as that and deserves some respect for what the mission has been

In my heart of hearts I believe the GMs here have wanted to tear it down and rebuild completely but have had their hands full with this market, current contracts and the owners

It’s just not that cut and dry easy with this team, for any GM, IMHO.

Honestly, under the circumstances, I think Benning has done decently