CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:03 am Who are your immigrants?

Interesting. Fair point.

I've always suggested that immigrants are usually the best and the worst of their society. Mediocre people normally stay behind.
Fortunately, the good ones tend to outnumber the bad ones, but the bad ones help create the crime stats that show immigrants to be overrepresented.

I once read an essay on crime and immigration that stated that whereas 99% of Swedish men will never be convicted of rape, the same is only true for 98% of immigrant men. A different take on the suggestion that they are twice as likely to commit this crime.

At the same time immigrants are also far more often entrepreneurs, starting and running their own companies. They tend to work longer hours and take on crappy jobs that Swedes don't want.

Now, migrating as a person to a nation that is already up and running, with army, police, government, etc, is not quite the same as colonialism, even if there are parallells. I would think the vast majority are farm colonists, looking for a better/safer place to raise their children than the war torn hell they just left. But of course there will be a number of opportunists among them that hope they can somehow cash in and then go back home.

This is probably more common as crime tourism though. A lot of those criminals never want to be registered with the authorities to begin with. In that regard, the immigrant group that is most overrepresented in Swedish crime statistics are Finns. Not necessarily because Finns would bemore prone to crime, but because Finnish criminals figure there is less risk getting caaught if they do their crimes across the border and then quickly head home again. When they are caught they go into the statistics as Finnish born criminals, even if they aren't really immigrants at all. They just happened to get caught on a cross border crime spree.

An extreme case of crime tourism is when young boys from Morocco arrive in Sweden, ask for asylum (which they will not get) and then disappear. There seem to be hundreds of these Moroccon street urchins in Stockholm now, and they would probably fall into the "exploitation colonist" category. Their intent has never been to become Swedes, or to get refuge from an oppressing regime or a war, they're just here as criminals. They just use the asylum thing to get through at the border, although I doubt they let them in any longer.

A problem in adressing the issue is that Morocco has for the longest time denied they are Moroccon citizens and has not been interested in having them shipped back. And since they tend to be under age, there are strict restrictions on locking them up (we don't have child concentration camps in Sweden - yet), so they often escape and disappear again as soon as they are given a chance.

I think Sweden has come to some sort of agreement with Morocco now though, so hopefully we will eventually be able to get rid of this problem.

The vast majority have come here looking for a safe haven though, and they tend to be loyal to Sweden.
Unfortunately the minority that is not, is more visible as they tend to get a lot more media attention.

It's rare that you write an article about the hundreds of thousands of immigrants that work and pay taxes, but as soon as one commits a crime - it's front page news.
Last edited by Per on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:10 am
As usual, when confronted with facts/logic he doesn't like

... Per floods the joint with silly graphs/maps and irrelevant history.

Denial is a funny animal...
Oh, sorry... You're feeling neglected? :|

Not sure what you wanted me to respond to. Your religious rant?
Where you state you prefer Islam to atheism?

Sure. That's only logical.

I mean, after all, Islam and Christianity are just two different versions of the same early iron age religion, adapted from and based on ancient bronze age Judaism.
They share the same god, the same patriarchs, creation story, Noah, the prophets, the same odd rules regarding food and penis grooming, albeit according to Paul, Christians can actually disregard the rules if they want to. Cool marketing gimmick that helped it become the fastest growing cult in the Roman Empire. I mean, the Romans did think it seemed interesting, but they had problems with the concepts of cutting of part of their dick and refrain from eating bacon.
Once Paul convinced them that these particular rules, albeit written in their holy book, were optional, the religion really took off.
But other than Christians being allowed to keep their foreskin and eating shrimp and pork, there's really no significant difference.

I didn't really see any point in stating the obvious, but I obviously underestimated your need of reassurance.

There. Feeling better now? :thumbs:
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Per getting nasty, using the c-word, haha.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am Per getting nasty, using the c-word, haha.
:lol:
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:41 am Per getting nasty, using the c-word, haha.
When I first read this I thought - whaaaaat, where did he say the "c" word, then I realized it was Christian.

Honestly I was more concerned about how many times he talked about cutting a penis, had me worried for a bit there.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:01 am
When I first read this I thought - whaaaaat, where did he say the "c" word, then I realized it was Christian.

Honestly I was more concerned about how many times he talked about cutting a penis, had me worried for a bit there.
When I was all slimy, upside down, getting my ass slapped, I glared and said; Don't even think it :twisted:
"evolution"
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

TMI Mickey, TMI.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:38 am TMI Mickey, TMI.
Sorry, it's just that I'd been eavesdropping with my head pressed against the wall listening to the conversation so I was prepared.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

micky107 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am

When I was all slimy, upside down, getting my ass slapped, I glared and said; Don't even think it :twisted:
Is that your fetish safe word/phrase?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:12 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:24 am

Is that your fetish safe word/phrase?
Just the don't even think it part.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

"Hold hands and think pure thoughts"
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 am Not sure what you wanted me to respond to.

ImageImage
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

:lol:

If Per cant see it from his or his parents house it isn't really happening though...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 pm
Per wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 am Not sure what you wanted me to respond to.
The protests in Kuala Lumpur in 2010 against Lars Vilks?!

https://www.thelocal.se/20100326/25752

How the hell could I be supposed to know you wanted to talk about that?
Talk about a non sequitor... :roll:

Well, what can I say? The guy drew a dog with a Muhammed face on it, which of course not only violates the Muslim idea that you are not supposed to make pictures of the prophet, but is also insulting because they think dogs are impure for some reason.

That wasn't just a Malaysian thing though, there were protest in many other Muslim countries as well. Not quite as bad as when the Danish newspaper Politiken had a Muhammed drawing contest, but still.

There were threats of boycotting Swedish products, and in Kuala Lumpur quite a crowd gathered outside the Swedish embassy, tore down the flag and burnt it.

I don't think it really had an impact on Swedish exports though. It was just a handful of fanatics who cared, and frankly, I'm not sure how much we actually export to Malaysia, nor do I think the average Malaysian knows which products are Swedish, even if they cared.

There have been at least two attempts to murder Vilks though, I think one at his home, another at an art exhibition in Copenhagen.

Vilks is quite a controversial artist, who likes to provoke people. Apart from his Muhammed dog drawing his most famous artwork might be a huge sculpture he has built in a nature reserve, which of course is completely illegal. He was fined for that, and I think it was eventually torn down by the police.

Not sure what to say. I initely support his freedom of speech, but he is really doing his best to provoke people, so it is not that surprising that sometimes he manages to upset them. Also, he is not really that great an artist. That could actually be why he constantly does things to make people angry, because that way he does get publicity.
Fortunately all murder attempts att him have been thwarted so far. But iirc some policeman or someone got injured or killed that time in Copenhagen. 😕
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:08 pm :lol:

If Per cant see it from his or his parents house it isn't really happening though...
It did happen, back in 2010, but I'm not Sarah Palin; I can't see Kuala Lumpur from my porch. :|

(I assume the other pics are from Vancouver's loss against the Bruins... :wink: )
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I mean seriously, would you buy this art? :eh:

If you weren't told this is supposed to be Muhammed as a dog, would you even get it?

This is the one that was eventually torn down.
The authorities considered it a building, and it eas constructed in a national park, without a building permit.