Captain my Captian

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Captain my Captian

Post by ESQ »

If Edler would sign for 3 years, money isn't much of an issue. The contract will be over when Juolevi's ELC ends, and a year before Hughes' ELC ends.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ESQ wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am If Edler would sign for 3 years, money isn't much of an issue. The contract will be over when Juolevi's ELC ends, and a year before Hughes' ELC ends.
Money, term, and NTC/NMC are big issues. While we do have cap room for a few years, we cannot upset our cost structure without pissing off other players. Also, if we over pay him, in addition to some of the other over-payments we have, we run the risk of not being able to land a good free agent during those 3 years.

I don't mind the idea of keeping Edler, but, he needs to sign that extension before the trade deadline, imo, to prove that he really wants to stay in Vancouver. If he doesn't sign before then, my assumption is that Edler doesn't care about the team, nor about winning, and in that case, he should be sent packing next July 1st. I can write an essay explaining my position, if anyone really cares.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 am How can you re-sign edler with Hughes and joulevi knocking on the door? I’d be down for it if he’s willing to take a substantial pay cut and play the bottom pairing, but I honestly don’t see a future here for him with how our left side d is shaping up, if Hutton or Pouliot take a step, I’d rather keep one of them as our bottom pairing guy. Edler also still has top4 top2 value league wide, I’d trade him and hold onto Tanev, our right side is too weak.
I think Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi on the left side would be just dandy.

It seems to me this is MDZ's last season here (likely gets traded at the deadline)

... and Green hates Hutton, so I think Hutton is gone this summer.

That leaves Pouliot/Brisbois as the #7-8 moving forward

... and hopefully one of them proves better than that when it's time to trade Edler.

I see management-wanting/Edler-agreeing-to a one-year extension with a limited NTC.

Edler will stay as long as he can because he loves it here.

A one-year deal makes him a UFA in 2020

... which means he doesn't need to be protected and doesn't have to worry about being selected.

Plus we need him for at least an extra season while Hughes and Juolevi settle in.

Looking at the minutes he plays we'd be lucky to get him at $5M with a limited NTC in my opinion.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 am This is a pretty clear decision to me. Horvat should be captain.
Agreed, and they'll wait until they're sure he ready before anointing him.

I get the feeling that will be this season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 am If Edler accepted an extension of 3 years at 3.5 ?
It's my belief he will do that.

If he says he wants 4 or 5 years at 6, I'd say alex who?
A little unorthodox but I have to partially challenge my own post.

Hey Fred Micky, even though I agree he would probably give that much of a home-town discount to stay,
did it ever dawn on you that he might, and probably would, get some rather nasty comments from some of his
significant peers in the PA ?
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 pm
micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:23 am If Edler accepted an extension of 3 years at 3.5 ?

Hey Fred Micky, even though I agree he would probably give that much of a home-town discount to stay,
did it ever dawn on you that he might, and probably would, get some rather nasty comments from some of his
significant peers in the PA ?
If he does that, he’ll guarantee himself a job in hockey after retirement. Getting on the ownerships good side is always a good thing (I think that could part of the reason why linden is gone).
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:48 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:56 am How can you re-sign edler with Hughes and joulevi knocking on the door? I’d be down for it if he’s willing to take a substantial pay cut and play the bottom pairing, but I honestly don’t see a future here for him with how our left side d is shaping up, if Hutton or Pouliot take a step, I’d rather keep one of them as our bottom pairing guy. Edler also still has top4 top2 value league wide, I’d trade him and hold onto Tanev, our right side is too weak.
I think Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi on the left side would be just dandy.

It seems to me this is MDZ's last season here (likely gets traded at the deadline)

... and Green hates Hutton, so I think Hutton is gone this summer.

That leaves Pouliot/Brisbois as the #7-8 moving forward

... and hopefully one of them proves better than that when it's time to trade Edler.

I see management-wanting/Edler-agreeing-to a one-year extension with a limited NTC.

Edler will stay as long as he can because he loves it here.

A one-year deal makes him a UFA in 2020

... which means he doesn't need to be protected and doesn't have to worry about being selected.

Plus we need him for at least an extra season while Hughes and Juolevi settle in.

Looking at the minutes he plays we'd be lucky to get him at $5M with a limited NTC in my opinion.
If he signs a one year contract til 2020 with limited trade restrictions, and is willing to do a wink wink nudge nudge deal for another couple of years after, I’d overpay him for 2020, then underpay him for his final 2. It’d be a nice way to circumvent the cap and provide edler a decent chunk of change for his services already rendered.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Hey Fred Micky...
:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:19 pm If he signs a one year contract til 2020 with limited trade restrictions, and is willing to do a wink wink nudge nudge deal for another couple of years after, I’d overpay him for 2020, then underpay him for his final 2. It’d be a nice way to circumvent the cap and provide edler a decent chunk of change for his services already rendered.
I like it! :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 am https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-teams- ... e-captain/

It's just an article on why a team should have a captain.
I have always thought it lame to go with 3 As.
Not having the C, to me, is a sign of meekness, timidness. docility, or maybe better put;
Umm, we just aint got dat one figured out yet. Not a great signal of strength and conviction.

Now I can see making this decision a Christmas present, though I'd rather have it a Halloween treat. (shit; that's bad even for me).

I can see there being up to 4 candidates. Tanev isn't one of them. ( attendance, introvert, leaving--lol).

Horvat; A can't go wrong choice! Could go into a slump but it wouldn't pull down his leadership qualities.
Boeser; Popular, knowledgeable and a whole lot of etc-s.
Less likely:
Sutter; Extreme knowledge of the rules, experience, knows most if not all the officials and their tendencies, etc.
Edler; Knows the rules almost as good as the Sedins do. Familiarity of officials and players.
Has seemed like an introvert too but that may well change now!
"Side note", I don't think we should move Edler. I think we can resign him cheap and I don't see how you can do better than that.

In regards to the selection process, I am adamantly opposed to "team vote". Can and most likely will cause a shitload of negatives.
The management and coaching staff makes the call. No other way is appropriate.
Team or fan vote is cute or trendy but not the right signal.....
https://thecanuckway.com/2018/09/01/van ... should-be/

So your saying you read my post here on CC and you are, in your own words, agreeing with it.
Thanks!
I'll send you the ----
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tciso wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:25 am
ESQ wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am If Edler would sign for 3 years, money isn't much of an issue. The contract will be over when Juolevi's ELC ends, and a year before Hughes' ELC ends.
Money, term, and NTC/NMC are big issues. While we do have cap room for a few years, we cannot upset our cost structure without pissing off other players. Also, if we over pay him, in addition to some of the other over-payments we have, we run the risk of not being able to land a good free agent during those 3 years.

I don't mind the idea of keeping Edler, but, he needs to sign that extension before the trade deadline, imo, to prove that he really wants to stay in Vancouver. If he doesn't sign before then, my assumption is that Edler doesn't care about the team, nor about winning, and in that case, he should be sent packing next July 1st. I can write an essay explaining my position, if anyone really cares.
Hmmm..... do you think the contracts of B Sutter, E Gudbranson, L Eriksson, S Gagner and B Hutton upset the cost structure and piss off other players?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curious how loyal Edler is to the Canucks now that his wife’s BFF’s husband (Linden) was Aqualini’d out of the organization??? Personally don’t think that matters to Edler, he wants to stay here, retire a Canuck.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:11 am
Tciso wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:25 am

Hmmm..... do you think the contracts of B Sutter, E Gudbranson, L Eriksson, S Gagner and B Hutton upset the cost structure and piss off other players?
Just Erikssons. :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

To be honest of all those contracts I find the Hutton contract to be the most offensive
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:34 am To be honest of all those contracts I find the Hutton contract to be the most offensive
I agree with this, all those other contracts may be slight overpayments, but are tradeable contracts and for the most part those players have league wide value. Hutton had a great first year and they jumped the gun and gave him too much, he shoulda got stetcher, Matt Benning money.