2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 am Isn’t it easier to make a deal now for another 1st before the season starts, especially to a team like the Oilers? If we wait until December or TDD then teams in bottom 10 won’t be moving their pick.
I like it! Take advantage of the Coil's misplaced optimism! :devil:
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

ESQ wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 am Isn’t it easier to make a deal now for another 1st before the season starts, especially to a team like the Oilers? If we wait until December or TDD then teams in bottom 10 won’t be moving their pick.
I like it! Take advantage of the Coil's misplaced optimism! :devil:
Yeah, and you could end up with a mid or late 1st rounder. We're only a year removed from the Oil getting 103 points and one game away from the Conference final.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tell that to Colorado - that 1st for Duchene the year after the Sens made it to the ECF is now looking like a lotto pick.

I agree it's a gamble, but that kind of gamble seems to be the only way to acquire a high lotto pick.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

It would be telling if Benning starts to make gambles like that, indicating he may be on a short leash or acting on instructions. So far he has only taken small risks, trading away later-round picks for projects and castoffs.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm Tell that to Colorado - that 1st for Duchene the year after the Sens made it to the ECF is now looking like a lotto pick.

I agree it's a gamble, but that kind of gamble seems to be the only way to acquire a high lotto pick.
Looking like a lotto pick? More like looking like a Jack Hughes pick. The Sens have good prospects but if the Lanche get JH with their 1st? They will never live that one down
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks have good depth in every position now. Their 2019 1st will finally be BPA regardless of position played.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:33 am Canucks have good depth in every position now. Their 2019 1st will finally be BPA regardless of position played.
I don’t see the depth for top six left wingers or top pairing right shooting defensemen. Centre is only okay if Pettersson can be a number one, otherwise they need a top line centre as well. So they have significant depth on right wing, goalies and left defensemen. They are in a much better position, but still significant holes to fill.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

But not desperate in any position. Right looks great - Boeser, Virtanen, Lind

But left wing needs a top flight 1st liner for sure. Dahlen could surprise, but with Baertschi as your best left winger now, it could use some help. I like Gadjovich, he could be that beast you throw on the left wing of your 1st line. Goldobin the jury is open but losing faith. Pettersson is and will be a centre in the NHL. With Gaudette and Horvat I like our top 3. D is much much better with getting Hughes and Woo out of the 2018 draft. It will be even better when Tryamkin returns.

Left wing is the biggest need but not exactly hurting, like I said good depth in every position - prospect wise

Unfortunately the 2019 draft at the top end isn’t heavy on left wingers and right D. It’s heavy on centres, RWs and the best d-men are left D
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouvery

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yeah they have a fairly deep pool now. Agree with Berry Picker about the need on RD though. I’m not as concerned about LW as I am about centre depth. Then again if Petterson can play the middle at this level that would go a long way to solving that problem. Gaudette may also pan out as well.

Always pick BPA
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

With the harsh face-off rules expected to carry on, see no reason not to have EP at center.
If his draws are low at first, like 40%, that's OK.
He can give himself more room at the center position.
If that gets his confidence riding high, then no limits.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 pm With the harsh face-off rules expected to carry on, see no reason not to have EP at center.
It’s not just face offs. It’s defensive coverage, positioning, battling down low, and being (usually) the first forward back in the zone. Is he ready to battle Mcdavid, Getzlaf, Sheifle, Tavares, McKinnon, Thornton, Seguin and a host of other horses. Time will tell but faceoffs is a marginal aspect of playing that position
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:51 am I don’t see the depth for top six left wingers...
True that Baertschi ain't all that

... but we don't really know yet what we have in Dahlen/Goldie/Lipstick/Gadjovich.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:39 pm
micky107 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:19 pm With the harsh face-off rules expected to carry on, see no reason not to have EP at center.
It’s not just face offs. It’s defensive coverage, positioning, battling down low, and being (usually) the first forward back in the zone. Is he ready to battle Mcdavid, Getzlaf, Sheifle, Tavares, McKinnon, Thornton, Seguin and a host of other horses. Time will tell but faceoffs is a marginal aspect of playing that position
Good points and I totally agree. We will see.
He did look good on the large ice but he will have to come up with an effective way to defend NHL calibre forwards.
Don't know about you but I prefer mentor Bo to mentor brandon/sam; yikes.

Well maybe Sutter isn't that bad. He knows how.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Two things about this draft:

1) I keep reading articles and posts from people who want to tank this year as it's a deep draft. I just don't get that theory. How many times do people have to see that we lose at the draft lottery before they believe it??!? There's is no point in tanking with a lottery in place because a year of pain is not worth a small chance of winning the draft lottery. At best, you have about a 1 in5 chance of 'winning' (and I mean not losing) the lottery and about a 3 in 5 chance of skidding down the order.. why be suckers for punishment?? Heck, even if you win, fans and media will question/criticize your first round pick as those kids are over analyzed in media anyways.. GM's who want job security need to have playoff teams and be good 20-100 spot drafters.

2) the other thing I keep seeing is the 'we need more picks because the draft is in Vancouver' or 'Benning has to make A splash' comment.

What a load of crap that is!! Where the event is held has no bearing on the fact we need more draft picks to make the team better, and complete the rebuild. It's funny how the media can say things that are so loaded full of shit, that some people start making shit sandwiches. IF bending makes a trade on the draft floor, it better be for the good of the team, not for a PR stunt.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not sure if it’s wanting the team to tank or expecting the team to fall apart. Their defence corps is among the leagues worst. They have two legit top 4 guys and one of them is constantly injured. Take Tanev away and it looks like a Special Olympics squad.

I could care less if the draft is in Yellowknife. They should be trying to acquire more picks regardless. That’s what smart GMs do in a rebuild.