2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ottawa has three very good young prospects in Brown, Batherson and Chlapik not to mention an excellent young D man in Chabot. Thing is why the hell would they deal away Tkachuk who is now close to signing and not returning to college? They seem pretty high on the kid.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 am Ottawa has three very good young prospects in Brown, Batherson and Chlapik not to mention an excellent young D man in Chabot. Thing is why the hell would they deal away Tkachuk who is now close to signing and not returning to college? They seem pretty high on the kid.
You forgot Colin White and Alex Formentin. Formentin is a beaut, could end up being the best of the bunch

For all of Ottawa’s recent dumbass moves they have a very nice prospect pool. Could be miles more ahead had they not gone the Duschene route (2019 first round pick) and traded Dahlen for Burrows
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ottawa had the option, this year or next to surrender their first. They chose to pick baby taychook this year. It would boggle the mind, in an attempt to recover a 1st for 2019, they trade the player they picked in 2018.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ottawa, though they’ve made some dumb mistakes isn’t in near as bad of shape as a lot of people think. They have three major pieces to move that they could get a ton back for in EK, Stone and Duchene. That return looks like three 1sts, and four or five high end prospects/young players imho.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:53 pm Ottawa, though they’ve made some dumb mistakes isn’t in near as bad of shape as a lot of people think. They have three major pieces to move that they could get a ton back for in EK, Stone and Duchene. That return looks like three 1sts, and four or five high end prospects/young players imho.
I think Duchene has lost a little credibility.
Don't believe I would want him on my team unless it was a bargain too good to be real.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Both Duschene and Karlsson are in their final year of their contracts and become UFA’s next summer. They won’t get value for those two pending UFA players on the trade market, Ottawa has already realized that by trying to trade Karlsson recently. Those two are not resigning in Ottawa. They will get decent assets in return but not what you’ll expect for those two as with UFA pending for them next summer. Teams nowadays don’t sell the farm for rentals like they used too, young players, prospects and picks are like gold now

Like many dumb moves made by Ottawa the Duschene one tops the list
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Although they won’t get top dollar return I agree with Blob they could get 3 1sts and three top prospects at a minimum for those three. Problem is that teams trading for any of those three won’t be teams with lottery picks. Allegedly Tampa offered a 1st, a 2nd, Foote plus a roster player for Karlsson. Don’t know what draft year the picks were and the roster player was more a cap clearing measure. Ottawa wanted 2 1sts, a 2nd, two top prospects and didn’t want any cap back. Tampa tried to clear room and had a tentative deal worked out to do so but wanted Ottawa to drop in their demands. Of course I have no idea how true any of this is so.....Tampa even had permission to talk with Karlsson so they knew he was willing to sign a new contract. Now they know he’s willing to sign as a UFA so that move backfired on Ottawa.

Ottawa could conceivably add some top prospects and a host of picks and kick start their rebuild in a big way. But they have a lot of holes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm Although they won’t get top dollar return I agree with Blob they could get 3 1sts and three top prospects at a minimum for those three. Problem is that teams trading for any of those three won’t be teams with lottery picks. Allegedly Tampa offered a 1st, a 2nd, Foote plus a roster player for Karlsson. Don’t know what draft year the picks were and the roster player was more a cap clearing measure. Ottawa wanted 2 1sts, a 2nd, two top prospects and didn’t want any cap back. Tampa tried to clear room and had a tentative deal worked out to do so but wanted Ottawa to drop in their demands. Of course I have no idea how true any of this is so.....Tampa even had permission to talk with Karlsson so they knew he was willing to sign a new contract. Now they know he’s willing to sign as a UFA so that move backfired on Ottawa.

Ottawa could conceivably add some top prospects and a host of picks and kick start their rebuild in a big way. But they have a lot of holes.
That’s not a great haul for a Norris Trophy Dman. The offers won’t get any better, especially for Duschene
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:45 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:53 pm Ottawa, though they’ve made some dumb mistakes isn’t in near as bad of shape as a lot of people think. They have three major pieces to move that they could get a ton back for in EK, Stone and Duchene. That return looks like three 1sts, and four or five high end prospects/young players imho.
I think Duchene has lost a little credibility.
Is it the demographics?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I humbly disagree, I think the market for Stone and Duchene will be more in line with E Kane and Skinner. Both are expiring UFAs, and are guaranteed available July 1 if they aren't traded.

I think the offers for Karlsson have peaked, I don't see anyone offering more than Tampa's offer.

I think you just have to look at the Hoffman trades to see how bad the returns will be for the Sens.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Prediciting the lottery teams for the 2019 draft is a little difficult. I would say that

- the Ottawa first owned by Colorado is a guaranteed top 3 pick
- Arizona will be their usual tank team self this year
- Detroit most likley top 5 lottery
- I see improvement from the Sabres but they will be a lottery team again
- Carolina is definitely a top 5 lottery team
- Montreal should improve but will be a lottery team
- I see an improvement from the Canucks but still a lottery team, I see us somewhere between 8th and 15th pick
- Islanders will be worst, post Tavares

I see the lottery picks (pre lottery draw) going something like this

1. Colorado (Ottawa)
2. Carolina
3. Islanders
4. Detroit
5. Arizona
6. Buffalo
7. Montreal
8. Vancouver
9. Rangers
10. Anaheim
11. Chicago
12. Florida
13. New Jersey
14. Colorado
15. Columbus
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm
I humbly disagree, I think the market for Stone and Duchene will be more in line with E Kane and Skinner. Both are expiring UFAs, and are guaranteed available July 1 if they aren't traded.

I think the offers for Karlsson have peaked, I don't see anyone offering more than Tampa's offer.

I think you just have to look at the Hoffman trades to see how bad the returns will be for the Sens.
Hoffman isn’t as good as any of those players... not even close. Not to mention he had a major shitcloud hanging over him... but please carry on. Karlsson is a top 10 player in the game and Stone is better than Skinner ( who will return a 1st if Buffalo sucks)
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

So pondering what we look like at the draft next year, and wondering what it takes to trade for 1st overall pick to select brother Jack.

A couple of educated guesses before speculation:

1) we get a good pick in the 4-10 range again (no matter how bad we suck next year, just like the constant of taxes, Canucks always lose draft lottery)
2) Petterson pans out as a center, not a winger, by seasons end.
3) first overall hasn't been traded in over a decade
4) top 5 draft picks are more expensive now than ever before

So, what's the cost of 1st overall??

Swap our first pick in 2019 (prolly 4-10), our 1st in 2020, and a good prospect like Lind/Dahlin is probably the starting point.
After that, I would imagine they want a top young player (depending on who the trading partner is).

Who would we be willing to give up, And is that package too much for Jack (if he keep saying projecting on the curve he isn't currently on)? Are we far enough along on the rebuild togive those assets up?
Last edited by Madcombinepilot on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:29 pm I see the lottery picks (pre lottery draw) going something like this

1. Colorado (Ottawa)
2. Carolina
3. Islanders
4. Detroit
5. Arizona
6. Buffalo
7. Montreal
8. Vancouver
9. Rangers
10. Anaheim
11. Chicago
12. Florida
13. New Jersey
14. Colorado
15. Columbus
Not bad, but with 10 Eastern teams missing the playoffs, who's crossing over? :lol:

Looks like we're in for a tough slog vs playoff-bound LA/Vegas/SJ/Edm/Cgy.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lol, shit what was I thinking. Back to the war room