the paranoia of the canuck fanbase

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: the paranoia of the canuck fanbase

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:16 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 pm I wish I was around to see pauser have a meltdown.
It was real and it was spectacular!

He showed up at this site shortly after his meltdown at Central

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 05#p177705

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... ove#p38877

In the first link he gives his bullshit reason for leaving Central

... which as you will see is eventually mocked when everyone showed up here after Central was shutdown.

In the second link, a still obviously-fragile Pauser gives yours truly the blame credit.

(note: yours truly was not a mod at Central at the time of the meltdown)

Truth be told, he was slowly sliding over the edge for many many months.

(that minor Steve Irwin thing was the last straw I guess?)

Seriously, I sometimes wonder if all the hockey debates he and MS lost

... led to the major depression that is evident in those two to this very day at that other site.
That was a great read, and pauser definitely has that chartered accountant look to him (sorry to any CA’s here).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:29 pm That was a great read, and pauser definitely has that chartered accountant look to him (sorry to any CA’s here).
Plus now you can read the rest of his posts and see just how wrong a dude can possibly be! 8-)

He ALWAYS thought the Sedins were massively overrated, he always hated every GM in Canucks history, etc...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mr. melted down in the thread I published my initial List.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 pm Mr. melted down in the thread I published my initial List.
I remember that now. :)

So being placed on your ignore list was the second-last straw

... and being criticized for starting a Steve Irwin thread was the last straw?

(they both happened at the same time if I recall correctly)

Pretty sure the main factor though was many months of losing hockey debates

... and being mocked for being too negative and sensitive.

YUGE meltdown was spectacular.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

This is a destructive thread.
It's like reverse recruiting by some first time poster.
It seems to be working.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 am This is a destructive thread.
It seems to be working.
You're just paranoid. 8-)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It's like reverse recruiting by some alleged first time poster.
It seems to be working.
Fixed ;)
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am Fixed ;)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:36 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:31 am Fixed ;)
Why would you say that man? What did i do? Are you sure?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:P
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm Image
When's realdoc1 sock going to post again? When?

Where is he? I need to know, dammit!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 pm When's realdoc1 sock going to post again? When?

Realdoc1 is lurking in the shadows... or is he THE SHADOW?? :wow:

Who knows when he will strike...

THE SHADOW KNOWS
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:29 am
It seems to be working.
Late last nite, I dun some bigtime googlopping. The real "deep" pages and I bumped into a couple of links that I dare'nt not post.
Holy shcitts abound, "Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave When, ah you know the rest.
Brings meaning to the word "Web".
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hank wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:07 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:00 pm Image
When's realdoc1 sock going to post again? When?

The sock of realdoc1 doesnt show up til the bottle of teachers in his desk starts to run dry
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

rikster wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 am
micky107 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 am Here we go again with that damn word "mentoring".
Way over used and in most cases inaccurate.
Benning"s first year was a playoff year.

I prefer the term leader as opposed to mentor. (sounds like a freakin professor) and we sure as hell haven't brought in one of those. :lol:
LE was acquired for the Sedins. He sure as hell isn't a teacher. A guy that mopes around cause he's in one of his slumps.
Sutter was brought in as a leader type and he gets a solid C- for it too, hurray. Horvat sure as hell didn't need his tutelage. Asa matter of fact
Horvat is more of a leader, MENTOR, than ANYONE that has been brought in.
Miller was good. Vanek was OK.
Gagner-NOT.
Roussel is there to be a counter measure for all things cheap and shitty that need retaliation.

Of note; The Sedins said they did NOT take players aside and talk to them, rather they tried to lead by example.
It doesn't matter what you think of the word "mentoring", it's a reality and one that the organization feels is very important for their prospect pool...

Regarding Sedins not taking players aside and talking to them, you might want to ask Horvat about that one...I agree the message gets across much better if the player delivering it can perform on the ice but to say it doesn't exist is silly....

Miller, Gagner, Vanek, etc, etc are all players who were brought in to give the team some stability until it could put together a core group of some 6 to 8 elite prospects who will most likely come from the draft and eventually be the group to return the team to a Cup contender...

Today they have maybe 2 in Horvat and Boeser and fingers crossed they have another 2 or 3 in their current prospect pool and can add another few over the next couple of drafts ...

Benning is in year 5 of his rebuild, some experts predicted it would take 7 to 10 years to get there and given where the prospect pool is today and where it was when he arrived I'm of the opinion that he is doing a very good job....

Some can choose to over analyze free agent signings and the term and dollars of contracts, none of which will not restrict or impede the rebuild, that's their choice, but I'm focused on the teams ability to find 6 to 8 elite players....

The team everyone in the hockey world is fawning over, the leaves have had what the Nucks haven't had....draft lottery luck and sooner or later it will turn in the Canucks favor...

The leaves have only 1 buried contract in their system now, which is down from having as many as 6 not that long ago....They are paying Phil Kessel $1.2 million per season for 4 more seasons not to play with them and it hasn't hurt their ability to sign the likes of Tavares so I don't understand all of the angst in Vancouver over their contract situation....

But in a market where the use of the words "rebuild" or "retool" can cause so much angst and debate, its not surprising...

Take care...
Hey Rikster,

Been a while, hope everything is good with you! I'm going to disagree with a few things you said, though I also agree with a number of them. I don't really care what word they use, rebuild, retool, re-whatever, as long as the results are there. So far the results couldn't have been much worse but I'm hopeful they are turning the corner sometime in the next season or two. I've already written off the upcoming one as another bad year though would be happy to be proven wrong.

For a 7 to 10 year rebuild, has there been a successful rebuild in the post salary cap era that has taken that long? Pittsburgh, LA, Washington, Chicago, Winnipeg, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Philly, New Jersey, Colorado, Dallas all took less time than that, and most quite a bit less. SJ, Nashville, Boston, Minny, Anaheim, St. Louis, Detroit, Ottawa all haven't rebuilt yet, though Detroit and Ottawa are starting. Edmonton, Carolina, Florida, Arizona, Buffalo, all have sucked for a while and have been examples of unsuccessful rebuilds. Even the the Islanders under Milbury barely sucked enough to miss the playoffs 7 straight seasons, so my opinion if is it takes you 7 to 10 years to rebuild you're definitely doing it wrong.

I agree that it's better to focus on finding elite players rather than supporting players, I just hope that the salaries of supporting players won't hinder paying those elite players in the future. I figure there's always a way to get out of the contracts so I'm not too concerned overall. A rising salary cap and player movement means it's relatively unlikely it will hurt and if it does it won't be too much.

The example you gave of the leaves though - since 2012 they've drafted 5th (Morgan Rielly), 21st (Frederik Gauthier), 8th (William Nylander), 4th (Mitch Marner), 1st (Austin Matthews), 17th (Liljegren) and 29th this year (Rasmus Sandin). The Canucks over that same period have drafted 26th (Gaunce), 9th (Horvat) and 24th (Shinkaruk) in 2013, 6th (Virtanen), 23rd (Boeser), 5th (Juolevi), 5th (Pettersson) and 7th (Hughes). Overall we've had higher picks than they have had, though as you said they did get the lottery luck one season. I'm hopeful our last 3 picks turn out to be very good players, but remember it's taken 3 horrible seasons to get there so we should get something for having to watch the hockey we've had to the past few seasons.

For me though, the big difference between the Nucks and the leaves over the past 5 drafts (since Benning started) is we've drafted 34 players while the leaves have drafted 42. That's a lot more draft picks to play with, and the leaves have turned them into some good prospects and a deep system that just won them the AHL championship. They should be good for a number of years to follow - and it pains me to say that.

Over the past 13 months or so, since Pettersson was drafted, I've become a lot more hopeful that the team is on the right track, but I do believe that they'll have another bad season this year and Benning may not be around after it. I just don't see ownership sticking with him if he has 4 out of 5 seasons in the bottom 7 of the league. I hope I'm wrong and we get to discuss potential playoff matchups in 6 months instead of tanking for the first overall pick, but I just don't see it happening.