Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sign Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Sbisa.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm Sign Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Sbisa.
Sbisa for sure, Nuckles. Sbisa for sure. McPhee loved this 2nd pairing D-man, my not be possible
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 am It’s pure comedy watching he and Trevor manage the club.
Laugh while you can...
Oh yeah, Doc. We all know who will be laughing last, and it certainly will not be Buck McKenzie
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

ESQ wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm Yep ol' Jim Benning's been playing chess while certain fans are trying to follow a checkers game while urinating themselves over a re-build that's taken 3 years!
"Taken" -- past tense. So it's over ? Complete ? The team the Canucks ice in October 2018 (at the short end of Strangelove's timeline) will be the Masterpiece to which Royal Dude has alluded ?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm Sign Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Sbisa.
Sbisa for sure, Nuckles. Sbisa for sure. McPhee loved this 2nd pairing D-man, my not be possible
2nd pairing d man who is fifth among Vegas d men in minutes per game. Very interesting.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 pm
2nd pairing d man who is fifth among Vegas d men in minutes per game. Very interesting.
The GM of the year McPhee (you said so yourself) LOVES Sbisa!!!
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Puck wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:23 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:09 pm we've been the most pushed around team in the league.....and certainly the most disrespected (by fans, refs, and the league alike) elite team I've ever watched in this league.
Do you think this is solely because Hank never threw a punch at anybody?

I suspect the refs disliked the Canucks because of Burrows, Kesler, Cooke and maybe Burke. The fans of other teams didn't like the Canucks because they were winning and the Sedins would uncharismatically roll into town and put 5 points up against their team... routinely. Nobody likes to be taken apart by two guys that don't seem like elite hockey players. That breeds dislike.

It's more likely that we simply hadn't previously experienced being on the receiving end of the dislike. Let's hope it comes again soon. :towel:
This.
Hank wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:56 pm But other GMs and hockey people in the fraternity absolutely hated Gillis and his arrogance... as an agent and during his tenure as GM.
Plus also this.
Last edited by Ronning's Ghost on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 pm
The GM of the year McPhee (you said so yourself) LOVES Sbisa!!!
You said he was a second pairing d man on Vegas
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:17 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm Yep ol' Jim Benning's been playing chess while certain fans are trying to follow a checkers game while urinating themselves over a re-build that's taken 3 years!
"Taken" -- past tense. So it's over ? Complete ? The team the Canucks ice in October 2018 (at the short end of Strangelove's timeline) will be the Masterpiece to which Royal Dude has alluded ?
According to ESQ, roster turnover is all that matters.

What the Oilers have done between 14/15 and this season would be a shining example.

You could blow up a mansion and erect a lean-to, it's all the same thing.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:33 pm Shrewd indeed. If JT signs here Benning deserves far more than genius status.
That's all it takes ? One signing ? You don't want to hold out for even a single Championship, maybe ?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:16 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:20 pm
Aaronp18 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:34 am Maybe Genius Benning has been planning for this offseason for some time!

The Gagner Effect
Yep ol' Jim Benning's been playing chess while certain fans are trying to follow a checkers game while urinating themselves over a re-build that's taken 3 years!
Lord Benning is playing 4d chess on a 3d chessboard against people playing 2d chess. :mex:
Maybe that explains why there's so many missing pieces.

Also, for Sedin tribute week, I've read that they are avid and skilled chess players. Shows in their game. I'm really glad that they won Olympic gold medals in hockey.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think a good number of the Elmer pipe lickers on this board were playing checkers with paint chips
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Don't sign anyone big this season.

sign a middle D man or forward or what ever 1 - 2 year deals.

Keep the cap space and take on a bad contract or 2 that is 1 - 2 years, the other team adding of course, draft picks or prospects coming with the contract.

Then go after the top notch FA either next year or the year after which is ever the better option. Why would they throw any money at a FA when this team still needs a full 2nd line, another 1st line player, 2 top 2 dmen. Of course they could sign these types of guys for big $$$ but the team is not good enough for any FA to come here.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 pm Don't sign anyone big this season.

sign a middle D man or forward or what ever 1 - 2 year deals.

Keep the cap space and take on a bad contract or 2 that is 1 - 2 years, the other team adding of course, draft picks or prospects coming with the contract.
Friedman speculating in his diatribe that the Canucks are well-placed to do just that with the likes of Bobby Ryan or Marian Hossa as possible options. Ryan would actually net us a player, Hossa probably less of a return (LTIR relief). Both are long term deals (Hossa until 2021, Ryan 2022). Even the most negative prognosticators would prefer to have access to cap space by then...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ultimately they should throw a huge wad at Tavares. Players of that caliber never get to free agency. I think there’s no chance of him signing here but you have to make a serious pitch. He is 27 and should have many good years left even if some posters on this board think he’s washed up.

Ultimately I see Tavares in San Jose or St Louis. Maybe throw some coin at Joe Thornton for two years ? Not sure he would want to come to miss playoffs for both years though. Carlson will stay on the eastern seaboard. Kane is a possibility but again once he gets a taste of playoffs he will not likely want to come home and miss them for a few years.