The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What a liar, Macenzzi! You use to go and on at Central how you were 5'-11 240 lbs. ain't no such thing of a slow pitch ball player who ain't fat. Ball to fat guys is like basketball to tall guys.

Trust me folks Bubbles invented the Skullet.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:48 pm What a liar, Macenzzi! You use to go and on at Central how you were 5'-11 240 lbs. ain't no such thing of a slow pitch ball player who ain't fat. Ball to fat guys is like basketball to tall guys.

6 ft 210... a better looking and more muscular Tom Hanks or Vince Vaughn lol ... while you sir have owned Abe Vigoda
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm 6 ft 210... a better looking and more muscular Tom Hanks or Vince Vaughn
Riiiiiiight... and you were never a fan of Hamonic

... never wrote Juolevi off as a top pairing dee

... believed Naz, Bert, Kess, etc would become stars long before anyone else.

:wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:48 pm What a liar, Macenzzi! You use to go and on at Central how you were 5'-11 240 lbs. ain't no such thing of a slow pitch ball player who ain't fat. Ball to fat guys is like basketball to tall guys.

6 ft 210... a better looking and more muscular Tom Hanks or Vince Vaughn lol ... while you sir have owned Abe Vigoda
Remove an inch and add 20lbs. Stop being a terrible liar, fatty, skullet man
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

They don't call him "Blob" for nothing. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doc told me in a PM he was 5 ft 7

Dud said Michelle Dumaresq towered over him
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Anyway......about the draft. Looks like we will be picking in the range of 5th to 8th or so, barring winning the lottery. Means one of the following dmen are likely:

- Hughes
- Bouchard
- Boqvist
- Dobson

Hughes is the homerun pick. Bouchard is safer, but not sure how his game will translate. Reminds me of Adrian Aucoin a bit, solid overall with a big shot, but should be better than Adrian was. Dobson has a very good overall game and is big and mobile, so if he develops properly could be exactly what the doctor ordered. Boqvist is the complete unknown, looked great in the Hlinka and bad in other tourneys.

Benning and co know their scouting so I’m sure they’ve seen them all. If we can’t get Hughes I would go with Dobson, based on what I have seen. Bouchard scares me, just not sure he has a special game but I might be wrong. Boqvist will take some balls to pick - could next Pettersson or could be a total bust.

Get our dman this year, wait for another top forward next year.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm Anyway......about the draft. Looks like we will be picking in the range of 5th to 8th or so, barring winning the lottery. Means one of the following dmen are likely:

- Hughes
- Bouchard
- Boqvist
- Dobson

Those four dmen are all crapshoots...looking at Keith, Doughty they are superb at both sides of the rink, why I'd be hesitant on 5'9-5'10 Hughes (I mean skinny boy Troy Stecher is bigger than him! -just saying) - Hughes strikes me as a slightly better Krug.

5'11 Boqvist could be an elite NHL scorer, I mean he's been compared to Karlsson, but he's been noted to be shitty on defense, so could also be a Tyson Barrie type, superb scorer, but poor analytics/defense.

*new video of Boqvist, seems he's been working on his defensive positioning & awareness.

In any case both should provide above average scoring.

Whereas 6'2 Bouchard is scouted as being great at both sides of the rink, a real leader, big strong who can log a lot of minutes and get also get a boat load of points. I'd feel somewhat better drafting this big talented fella if we pick a dman with our pick.

---

As an aside I'd hope we deal Tanev for top 15 pick, so we can draft a forward with our pick-which will help ease the loss of the Sedins- and a dman with the other like a Wilde, Woo, Miller.
Last edited by SKYO on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:39 pm Doc told me in a PM he was 5 ft 7

Dud said Michelle Dumaresq towered over him
I'm still 8 foot 13.....so Fuck you all. :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hughes is not 5'-10" SKYO. After seeing him at the WJC I now question his listed height of 5-9". He looked a lot smaller than 5'-9" - 175 lbs. I simply have a hard time using a top 10 pick on a "defencemen" that tiny. I don't care how skilled he is, he can't just be a PP guy or an overtime guy, you certainly don't waste a top 10 pick on that.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am Hughes is not 5'-10" SKYO. After seeing him at the WJC I now question his listed height of 5-9". He looked a lot smaller than 5'-9" - 175 lbs. I simply have a hard time using a top 10 pick on a "defencemen" that tiny. I don't care how skilled he is, he can't just be a PP guy or an overtime guy, you certainly don't waste a top 10 pick on that.
Cheers to that, don't want Hughes in the top 10, he'd be a decent pickup for a team that can afford to let him develop a few years in college.

*Also why I would like to draft a dman who has good NHL size & skills already like a Bouchard, akin to Sergachyov, Chychrun and McAvoy all three had NHL size/skill when drafted.

2nd round time:
https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/round2/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:21 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am Hughes is not 5'-10" SKYO. After seeing him at the WJC I now question his listed height of 5-9". He looked a lot smaller than 5'-9" - 175 lbs. I simply have a hard time using a top 10 pick on a "defencemen" that tiny. I don't care how skilled he is, he can't just be a PP guy or an overtime guy, you certainly don't waste a top 10 pick on that.
Cheers to that, don't want Hughes in the top 10, he'd be a decent pickup for a team that can afford to let him develop a few years in college.

*Also why I would like to draft a dman who has good NHL size & skills already like a Bouchard, akin to Sergachyov, Chychrun and McAvoy all three had NHL size/skill when drafted.

2nd round time:
https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2018/round2/
Much as the organization needs blueline depth in the pipeline, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they draft Olofsson in the 2nd round given the amount of time they've had to watch him play with Dahlen in Timra. Wonder what Dmen would be worth taking in the 2nd? Would someone like Woo be available?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they draft Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk the Canucks are less likely to sign a FA forward like Kane, but are more likely to sign a FA defenseman. I think all three of them will play next year in the NHL.
If they draft Dahlin, they won't need to sign a defenseman as he'll join the team right away.
All the other defensemen will take years to cook. So the Canucks may be more likely to sign both a defenseman and a forward and use up their cap space quickly if they draft Dobson, Bodquist or one of the others.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:57 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm Anyway......about the draft. Looks like we will be picking in the range of 5th to 8th or so, barring winning the lottery. Means one of the following dmen are likely:

- Hughes
- Bouchard
- Boqvist
- Dobson

Those four dmen are all crapshoots...looking at Keith, Doughty they are superb at both sides of the rink, why I'd be hesitant on 5'9-5'10 Hughes (I mean skinny boy Troy Stecher is bigger than him! -just saying) - Hughes strikes me as a slightly better Krug.

5'11 Boqvist could be an elite NHL scorer, I mean he's been compared to Karlsson, but he's been noted to be shitty on defense, so could also be a Tyson Barrie type, superb scorer, but poor analytics/defense.

*new video of Boqvist, seems he's been working on his defensive positioning & awareness.

In any case both should provide above average scoring.

Whereas 6'2 Bouchard is scouted as being great at both sides of the rink, a real leader, big strong who can log a lot of minutes and get also get a boat load of points. I'd feel somewhat better drafting this big talented fella if we pick a dman with our pick.

---

As an aside I'd hope we deal Tanev for top 15 pick, so we can draft a forward with our pick-which will help ease the loss of the Sedins- and a dman with the other like a Wilde, Woo, Miller.
On the Tanev front, it will be interesting to see if the front office decides to change their 'keep the core together' tactic that has failed so miserably over the past 3 years now that the twins are no longer around. My guess is no, but Tanev is the most likely to go if they decide to move a bigger piece.

I like Bouchard and wouldn't be averse to getting him, the only issue is his skating is average and that's not great right now. Dobson is more all-around version who is even bigger, and I'd prefer him to Bouchard. I'd still prefer Hughes to both of them just because he's so dynamic, but guessing he will be gone by our pick unless we win the lottery somehow.

Boqvist who knows, he seems to be dropping a bit in rankings lately so perhaps he'll be a solid value pick at 6-8 where were are likely to pick.

I don't see us picking a forward unless one of the big 3 (Zadina, Svechnikov, Tkachuk) unexpectedly falls.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Watch out for Wahlstrom, DH. He's climbing. You really think a 5'-9" 175 lb D-man is going that high? Bouchard worries me, the points flatters his stock, skating is an issue and no mean streak. I like Dobson. Boqvist is a mystery