The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 pm I see ole Joe Veleno Mr Extraordinary Status is creeping up the QMJHL Scoring Leader board, not too far behind Zadina.
Yep, he’s been very good since the trade. Amazing how he looks much better once he gets to a good team.

Hughes is just so dynamic, reminds me a lot of Makar from last year. Yep he’s tiny but he’s the best skater in the draft and loves to provide offence. Both are completely lacking on the Nucks so would be a good addition.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fortunately for Makar he's a giant compared to Hughes and Makar isn't big

I'm taking Bouchard and Boqvist ahead of Hughes. Hughes did not impress at the WJC, was in fact benched by the coach a fair bit in tight games, a bit of a disaster defensively. He definitely wasn't the fastest guy in the tournament. After watching the WJC his size numbers are exaggerated. Boqvist is a little bigger, and is as dynamic as Hughes. Bouchard has NHL size and is putting up insane offensive numbers in the OHL and is coming from an excellent system with the London Knights
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 am Fortunately for Makar he's a giant compared to Hughes and Makar isn't big

I'm taking Bouchard and Boqvist ahead of Hughes. Hughes did not impress at the WJC, was in fact benched by the coach a fair bit in tight games, a bit of a disaster defensively. He definitely wasn't the fastest guy in the tournament. After watching the WJC his size numbers are exaggerated. Boqvist is a little bigger, and is as dynamic as Hughes. Bouchard has NHL size and is putting up insane offensive numbers in the OHL and is coming from an excellent system with the London Knights
I do like Bouchard, he's very subtle but gets the job done. Has a great mind for the game. He's a bit like the anti-Hughes, not flashy at all while Hughes loves his end to end rushes. Would be fine with both, it's very close for me.

Boqvist is a complete wild card as I've still never seen him play. By the accounts I read he's very close to what the Nucks need, always compared to Karlsson. Even a poor man's Karlsson would be great, I just can't comment on him personally until I see him play at least once.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think whoever takes Boqvist will be pretty happy with the pick, he's only going to get better and should have a great season next year in the SHL as he gets older and stronger playing in the mens' league (he's one of the younger players this 2018 draft), plus he should have a superb 2019 WJC in December/Jan.

Once he moved to the SHL, he had some issues seeing as he's only 17 years old! lol

In August he'll be 18, and should be in full workout mode all summer getting ready for a better season playing in the SHL.

He's a natural QB with the precious right shot, Adam Boqvist is a solid roll of the dice on him being an elite NHL QB, I think he has much better upside than Liljegren & next season should cement that statement.

While Bouchard is the safe pick, he doesn't have that agile/explosiveness type scoring as Boqvist, but he's a big dude with some superb scoring ability.

https://thechargingbuffalo.net/2018/02/ ... m-boqvist/
A dynamic offensive defenceman that can carry plays with the puck on his stick. A highly mobile and nimble skater that moves with fluidity, balance, and confidence. Utilizes an active stick and creates turnovers frequently. Could be more proactive in his own end, but has shown progression in understanding lanes and reading unfolding plays; most of his best defensive work comes through the neutral zone, as there is a lot less time and space to work with, and it is in those moments that Boqvist shines. Offensively, Boqvist is electric; he has the toolbox of a top line forward. Slick puckhandling ability paired with excellent vision and positional awareness makes him a dangerous threat every time he is on the ice. He also takes advantage of the attention and bodies he draws towards himself in creating space for teammates. All-in-all, Adam Boqvist is a complete offensive defenceman that knows how to get the puck from point A to the back of the net, and can make it happen all by himself. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=265684
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The descriptions of Boqvist sound more Duncan Keith like than Erik Karlsson like. Is it because Karlsson is a fellow Swede he gets compared to him?

Just don't see us in the running for a top 4 pick, we are playing pretty decent enough to not be tanking like we are seeing with the Yotes, Sabres, Hans and Oilers. So hopefully we are still in the Boqvist/Bouchard mix. It seems like we will be picking between 5th and 10th
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 am The descriptions of Boqvist sound more Duncan Keith like than Erik Karlsson like. Is it because Karlsson is a fellow Swede he gets compared to him?

Just don't see us in the running for a top 4 pick, we are playing pretty decent enough to not be tanking like we are seeing with the Yotes, Sabres, Hans and Oilers. So hopefully we are still in the Boqvist/Bouchard mix. It seems like we will be picking between 5th and 10th
I dunno RD. If Benning can make a couple of moves over the next 24-48 hours and get out in front of the TDD frenzy, he might end up being the guy that offloads a couple of key vets for futures that see us drop several more games than we otherwise would have.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks draft Brady Tkachuk in 2018 and then draft Vancouver Giant stud D-man Bowen Byram, from Nelson BC, at the 2019 draft, held in Vancouver.

Did you know that the Tkachuks have relatives in Vancouver? An uncle of theirs (he's married to my moms best friend). His sister is the mother of the Tkachuk kids mom. The Tkachuk kids are Canadian/Italian on their moms side. So ya know that Chef Boi RD likes this one all around. Do you think Keith Tkachuk gears his Canadian wife when Team USA beats Canada? Not a huge fan of Keith but at least he knows how to pick his women.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:12 am Canucks draft Brady Tkachuk in 2018 and then draft Vancouver Giant stud D-man Bowen Byram, from Nelson BC, at the 2019 draft, held in Vancouver.

Did you know that the Tkachuks have relatives in Vancouver? An uncle of theirs (he's married to my moms best friend). His sister is the mother of the Tkachuk kids mom. The Tkachuk kids are Canadian/Italian on their moms side. So ya know that Chef Boi RD likes this one all around. Do you think Keith Tkachuk gears his Canadian wife when Team USA beats Canada? Not a huge fan of Keith but at least he knows how to pick his women.
If nothing else Tkachuk would give this team the a-hole they need. I would have no issue drafting him if we are out of the top 3.

Draft the best player available this year with our 1st rounder, then grab as many D as you can in the other rounds. Really need to fill that D pipeline in the worst way.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hopefully it's a DMAN that is BPA when we pick! :D But I won't be mad if it's one of the top 3 forwards.

However one could argue if the Oilers had picked a DMAN with one of their high picks they'd be a much better team right now, and they probably could have kept Hall for McDavid to form a power duo for multiple years. Like 2012 they coulda dropped back and picked one of Reilly, Hampus Lindholm or Trouba.

Such a delicate dance at the draft as to what to do, using your scouting powers and dealing ability using what assets you have for deals to make your team better for the long haul. If the team ever drops back, they should always stay within the top 10 though.

One team to keep tabs on is the Rangers (3-1st rounders) they could be in the top 10 pick range and maybe want our pick if we stay in our same spot in top 5, we move back and take one of their other 1st's (Bruins or TBL) along with their top 10 pick.

Late top 10 dmen that could still be available:
Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson.
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

In terms of the Oilers, I think that part of the reason for getting rid of Hall was that he was seen as having a bad attitude and there was a concern that his character would rub off on McDavid. The trade has been good for Hall and may have changed his attitude. However, it is possible that the Oilers might even have been worse if they had kept Hall.

Even though I desperately want the Canucks to add size and grit, you are convincing me with the thoughts on taking Boquist if available. Is there any info about whether he comes from a tall family? Given his age, he may still grow.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

With the finishes this club has had in the standings the last number of years, the Canucks should take BPA regardless unless Benning can mine more picks by trading down for a player they value higher than CSS rankings suggest. Too many holes. That said, if it's a call between Svechnikov and Tkachuk, I'd take Tkachuk. He fits the mold best considering Benning's latest comments about getting a big, physical player who can play.

Edmonton's problem is largely their inability to find players beyond the 1st round. Tobias Reider and Petry are the only ones picked outside the 1st round since 2005 who have over 200 games to their names.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lancer: tkachuk
Linc wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am In terms of the Oilers, I think that part of the reason for getting rid of Hall was that he was seen as having a bad attitude and there was a concern that his character would rub off on McDavid. The trade has been good for Hall and may have changed his attitude. However, it is possible that the Oilers might even have been worse if they had kept Hall.

Even though I desperately want the Canucks to add size and grit, you are convincing me with the thoughts on taking Boquist if available. Is there any info about whether he comes from a tall family? Given his age, he may still grow.
Tkachuk would be a wicked LW to have for Horvat and Boeser to form a powerful #1 line.

For Adam Boqvist his bro Jesper is 6'0, he was drafted 2nd round by the Devils, so yeah 5'11 Adam Boqvist could grow a smidgen to 6'0 which would be just right for an elite NHL QB down the road.

(Gostisbehere 5'11" | 180lbs, PK Subban 6' 0" | 210 lb, Karlsson 6' 0" | 191 lb, Letang 6' 0" | 201 lb).

The team could also simply sign EKane on July 1st to be that gritty scoring LW for the top line and pick Boqvist, which pretty takes care of 2 goals the team has.

1. acquire more picks, 2. get a high end right shot QB and 3. acquire a power LW to help Horvat/Boeser.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

1) Dahlin (generational dman)

2) Boqvist (game breaker dman, elite QB, will take a couple years after draft to hone his craft)

3) and here's an update on Bouchard from the OHL side, not as 'dynamic' as the Swedes, but is a big solid RD who has a booming shot that hits the net, but is also a year older than some in the draft, + is already in his 3rd junior season. Needs to work on his skating and intensity for the big fella.
*of note* he was a youngster partner with Juolevi for a bit. ha
Evan Bouchard - Defense - London Knights
Total Votes: 18
High/Low Ranking: 2nd (14x)/6th(1x)
Comments:
“He’s got a big-time shot and as his junior career has progressed, he has learned to use it more. Great poise with the puck and he may be the best passer in the entire draft class.” - Ryan Kennedy

“I can't get over how he is able to get so many shots through screens and on goal. Just improving each and every time I see him. Another well coached student of Dale Hunter - and it shows!” - Tony Ambrogio

“Bouchard just continues to plug along as one of the OHL’s top defencemen and one of the best blue liners in this draft. Bouchard is an incredibly smart passer who has an incredible knack to get pucks through a crowd and into the back of the net. His stock has been shooting up due to the consistency at which he is producing and carrying a London Knights team that sold off their top players at the deadline.” - Dylan Galloway

"The offensive production is no joke. His vision is off the charts good. His ability to find that seam and anticipate movement and holes from the point is elite. I think about a play I saw him make recently as a perfect example. On the powerplay, with about three sticks in the slot, he put a bullet pass on the stick of a teammate, cross ice, near the crease, who was circling around the net. The precision and timing that required was astounding. I do have some questions about his ability to defend and win battles consistently in the corners. But I have zero questions about his hockey sense." - Brock Otten

“The numbers are pretty stunning, even as a late birth date where you expect him to be a step ahead. Offensively, I think he's special. In talking with some scouts very recently, there is some moderate concern about his D-zone play. Still, the distribution skills, his shot, his vision, they're all high end.” - Anonymous

https://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2018/0 ... -2018.html
And some are saying Bode Wilde can be this drafts version of Chychrun, dude seems like a better skater than Bouchard and has a quick rocket of a shot, but he's going to harvard for a while so probably won't see him turn pro for a few years.

The more you dig into this draft the more deeper of prospects it has, ex: dahlin, boqvist, svechnikov, zadina, wahlstrom, tkachuk, bouchard, hughes, wilde, smith, veleno, Lunderstrom, dobson, hayton, kupari, Denisenko. Probably some good gems in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

A good year to move a vet dman on the Canucks roster for at least a 1st.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hey, does anyone happen to know when the actual date of the lottery is? (Pardon me if it was already mentioned earlier).
cc oldtimer
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

nuckster wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 pm Hey, does anyone happen to know when the actual date of the lottery is? (Pardon me if it was already mentioned earlier).
Draft lotto seems to be held on the last saturday of April, so this year on the 28th.