The Bubbles Hargraves and Chef Dud review every GM move thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The Bubbles and Dud review every GM move thread

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 am Maybe he did and maybe he didn’t but can you provide any reference to where he said this was a preferred model?
No, he can't. Yet he bitches about being misquoted or other having an agenda.

Even if we take the Dude at face value (not recommended), Chiarelli being a terrible GM (if true) has nothing to do with Benning being a genius.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

After the Oilers "amazing season" last year Island waxed on, using the Oiler rebuild as the poster rebuild against Bennings work here in how a rebuild is done properly. Ignoring winning the McDavid lottery moving up 3 spots when they should have just walked out of that draft with Dylan Strome, but that being said not even the great McDavid can mask all the shite moves Nuckles favourite GM - Chiarelli has done
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

This coming from the guy that said Sutter was a better all-around player than E.Malkin and that Linden Vey was a Calder favourite.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm This coming from the guy that said Sutter was a better all-around player than E.Malkin and that Linden Vey was a Calder favourite.
Did he actually say these things ?

Gesus Fuck
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm This coming from the guy that said Sutter was a better all-around player than E.Malkin and that Linden Vey was a Calder favourite.

Gesus Fuck
Duh.

What IN is actually saying:

"You misquoted me, so I will misquote you to a much greater degree... I shall have my revenge!"
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Gesus Fuck
Duh.

What IN is actually saying:

"You misquoted me, so I will misquote you to a much greater degree... I shall have my revenge!"
Correct.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Nuckles used his beloved Chiarelli Edmonton Oiler rebuild as example of how to rebuild when slagging JimBro's rebuild
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am Nuckles used his beloved Chiarelli Edmonton Oiler rebuild as example of how to rebuild when slagging JimBro's rebuild
Correct.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am Nuckles used his beloved Chiarelli Edmonton Oiler rebuild as example of how to rebuild when slagging JimBro's rebuild
Correct.
Incorrect.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

C'mon Nuckles, own it! Release those demons that haunt you, free yourself!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 pm C'mon Nuckles, own it! Release those demons that haunt you, free yourself!
lol I think I’m on record plenty but of times saying the oilers are a model of how not to rebuild (mainly due to their inability to actually draft - something Benning is known for).

I favoured targeting prospects and picks over the veteran/age gap approach because I thought we’d finish in the dumpster anyways, so guys like Sutter and Gudbranson and Vey and Prust would matter SFA over the longer term. Doc’s cute “try to think about 3-4 years from now” was as much about waving away poor management decisions as it was about looking forward to a better team.

Back to the Oilers, if we applied Docs definition of rebuild complete (“made the playoffs and looked good doing it”), the Oilers hit that mark last season. Are we now saying we need multiple years of making the playoffs and looking good doing it before a rebuild is truly done? If so, Docs timeline is already blown.

Here’s a thought: try posting something worth reading for a change.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So you are s big believer of no quality veteran presence in the lineup for the kids to learn from, just bring in cheap don't care paycheque collector vets like what full tank teams like the Sabres and Oilers do? You prefer the long term 10 year bust it down to the ground ugly long rebuild? Hand the keys to 21 year olds scattered through the line up with a couple don't care cheap vets just there to collect s cheque? Interesting. Trade Guds, Tanev, Vanek for picks and prospects and don't bring back the Sedins. Awesome, welcome to the second coming of a12 year long Oiler rebuild
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:48 am Doc’s cute “try to think about 3-4 years from now” was as much about waving away poor management decisions as it was about looking forward to a better team.
Incorrect.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am So you are s big believer of no quality veteran presence in the lineup for the kids to learn from, just bring in cheap don't care paycheque collector vets like what full tank teams like the Sabres and Oilers do? You prefer the long term 10 year bust it down to the ground ugly long rebuild? Hand the keys to 21 year olds scattered through the line up with a couple don't care cheap vets just there to collect s cheque? Interesting. Trade Guds, Tanev, Vanek for picks and prospects and don't bring back the Sedins. Awesome, welcome to the second coming of a12 year long Oiler rebuild
Not at all. I’m a fan of Benning’s UFA acquisitions last summer. I’m a fan of using the waiver wire. The option is not “trade high-end pieces for mediocre players” or “Oilers-level incompetence”. You can still have a veteran presence without overpaying for marginal players.

I’ve also been clear that Benning has been learning and improving as he goes, so I was (and am) fine with the extension. His early moves to “retool/build while remaining competitive” were ineffective at best, incompetent at worst, and now that has set in I think everyone is on the same page.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 am So you are s big believer of no quality veteran presence in the lineup for the kids to learn from, just bring in cheap don't care paycheque collector vets like what full tank teams like the Sabres and Oilers do? You prefer the long term 10 year bust it down to the ground ugly long rebuild? Hand the keys to 21 year olds scattered through the line up with a couple don't care cheap vets just there to collect s cheque? Interesting. Trade Guds, Tanev, Vanek for picks and prospects and don't bring back the Sedins. Awesome, welcome to the second coming of a12 year long Oiler rebuild
Because expensive "don't care paycheque collector vets" (like Eriksson) are so much better?
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu