Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am
Must move on, ASAP even if you replace with other FA place holders.
Hopefully a genius could do better than that but none the less it is time to play Bob Seager and TURN THE PAGE...
With the emergence of Horvat and Boeser, isn't this already happening?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Of similar interest, we have 44/50 contracts signed with Pettersson not included, expecting him to be in Sweden.
If Juolevi returns to junior that's one more that slides leaving us 43/50. That leaves us in pretty good shape to pick up any waived players after camp ends and since we finished 29th last season we would have second pick to grab anyone.

It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.
One guy whom I hope signs here is reef's fave Kerfoot, if he signs here, he'll most definately start in Utica & make that team even better.

& be a call-up if one of our centers get injured.
Kerfoot almost rookie of the year, Reef hated dude .
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Per wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:04 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:52 pm If the Sedins don't retire after this porous season, they are the most stingeist people on earth.
Doesn't that depend on how much they ask to sign for? :|

Ever heard of love of the game? :mex:
Yeah, I don't really see the urgency in getting rid of the Sedins and I would much rather they come back on decent contracts than retire (subject to there not being a huge insurgence of youth that could legitimately take their spots). Henrik and Daniel are still 4th and 5th respectively in points on the team - I don't see that being easily replaced at the moment by FA's. Sure Vanek has fit well this year but, out of all the free agents we have signed, he seems to be one of the best and I definitely don't want to see another Eriksson type contract (or even Gagner for that matter). If the Sedins want to come back on a year-to-year basis at a reasonable price, in my mind, they are perfect placeholders.

After all the chatter about not wanting to become Edmonton, dropping the Sedins is definitely taking us closer to that point. That said, overall I support trading away aging vets for young assets or picks but losing the Sedins to retirement is just a loss of assets without gain and I don't see gain until there are young players that can take their spots. Right now they have been supplanted by the "killer Bee" line as first liners but I think there is still quite a ways to go until they are not effective 2nd or even 3rd line players.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Of similar interest, we have 44/50 contracts signed with Pettersson not included, expecting him to be in Sweden.
If Juolevi returns to junior that's one more that slides leaving us 43/50. That leaves us in pretty good shape to pick up any waived players after camp ends and since we finished 29th last season we would have second pick to grab anyone.

It also leaves us in good shape to sign any college free agents or junior undrafted overagers at season's end.
One guy whom I hope signs here is reef's fave Kerfoot, if he signs here, he'll most definately start in Utica & make that team even better.

& be a call-up if one of our centers get injured.
Kerfoot almost rookie of the year, Reef hated dude .
I am assuming you are talking about me so please provide a link to anything I said about Kerfoot?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am Kerfoot almost rookie of the year, Reef hated dude .
I am assuming you are talking about me so please provide a link to anything I said about Kerfoot?
Now why would you assume he's talking about YOU?!!

Kidding! :lol:

Here's a link:
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm Skyo please explain to us how a no nothing university player is supposed to be a stop gap for this team. Unless I am mis reading what you wrote, and I could be, he would help this team until we get a bonafide forward?
That was your response to Skyo promoting Kerfoot hard.

BTW got the day off work broski? :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am Kerfoot almost rookie of the year, Reef hated dude .
Now why would you assume he's talking about YOU?!!

Kidding! :lol:

Here's a link:
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:29 pm Skyo please explain to us how a no nothing university player is supposed to be a stop gap for this team. Unless I am mis reading what you wrote, and I could be, he would help this team until we get a bonafide forward?
That was your response to Skyo promoting Kerfoot hard.

BTW got the day off work broski? :)
:oops:

start late today, end late today.

Still he may only be a 1 hit wonder, have to hold onto that. :look:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

[MOD - you quoted word for word and replied "Fixed"?]
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chaput placed on waivers this morning. Inevitable once both Bo and Sutter were back.

Correction on Gudbranson, he is not on IR but listed day to day with back spasms.

On the benching of Hutton and Virtanen, Green said if they played a little inspired in Edmonton they would not have been benched. More tough love. Hutton has fallen so fast from his rookie year. Had high hopes for him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:48 pm Chaput placed on waivers this morning. Inevitable once both Bo and Sutter were back.

Correction on Gudbranson, he is not on IR but listed day to day with back spasms.

On the benching of Hutton and Virtanen, Green said if they played a little inspired in Edmonton they would not have been benched. More tough love. Hutton has fallen so fast from his rookie year. Had high hopes for him.
I doubt anyone claims Chaput...

Dare to Dream!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am OK, honestly, what is are the "MUCH BETTER 2-way mentors" really teaching our young guys?
They are teaching them to be consummate professionals and 200' players.

They are teaching about killing penalties.

Mr Eriksson is doing everything he was paid to do... except score as many goals as expected.

(on a 15-goal-pace over 82 games rather than his usual 25-goal-pace)

Hopefully Mr Eriksson can increase his goal-scoring moving forward...
UPDATE: Mr Eriksson is now on an 18-goal-pace over 82 games

... and 6th on the team in points per game.

Hopefully Mr Eriksson can continue to increase his goal-scoring while continuing his stellar defensive play...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Marky Mark ranked only 4 slots behind Carey Price. :P

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/ran ... in-2018/3/
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 pm Marky Mark ranked only 4 slots behind Carey Price. :P

https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/ran ... in-2018/3/
Maybe if JB throws in a few late rounders he can make a trade, eh?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Other teams usually get a free second rounder with every trade from their good buddy Jimbro dont they?
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am OK, honestly, what is are the "MUCH BETTER 2-way mentors" really teaching our young guys?
They are teaching them to be consummate professionals and 200' players.

They are teaching about killing penalties.

Mr Eriksson is doing everything he was paid to do... except score as many goals as expected.

(on a 15-goal-pace over 82 games rather than his usual 25-goal-pace)

Hopefully Mr Eriksson can increase his goal-scoring moving forward...
UPDATE: Mr Eriksson is now on an 18-goal-pace over 82 games

... and 6th on the team in points per game.

Hopefully Mr Eriksson can continue to increase his goal-scoring while continuing his stellar defensive play...
While we are at it can we hope for jake V to channel his inner semenko and do some explaining with his fists ?

The kid has the tools and I’ll bet the faithful would embrace the lad if he went mental now and again. I know it easy to say and I’m not the one having to face NHL sized knuckles but the other team needs to start getting run over more often. Perhaps we need to hire some one to Piss in his cornflakes every morning?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:16 am Other teams usually get a free second rounder with every trade from their good buddy Jimbro dont they?
Speaking of Bennnngs 2nd round picks (4 in 4 drafts), Lind, Dahlen, Demko are on FIRE of late. WJC Select Gadjovich is still injured.

Gillis 2nd round picks (just 3 in 6 drafts) - Mallet, Sauve and Rodin...retired from trying to make it in the NHL

BTW Markus Granlund is a 2nd round pick. Where is Shinkaruk these days?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau