Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm Well, if u really wanna bring up what ppl said in the past:
The Todd wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm Yeah, I'm not very thrilled with the Eriksson signing. He's a decent player I guess, but the term is definitely too long. I wouldn't mind a 2-3 year deal, maybe 4, but no way to 6. I guess that's the market rate for that kind of player. Yikes, he pretty much making Sedin dollars. I was impressed with JB when he showed prudence by refusing to give Iginla and Verby 3 year deals, now he gives a player of similar age/ilk 6 years. Ouchies! Sure, I get that he might be great with Sedins, but what about after? I think we'll get decent years out of him maybe 3 out of the 6 years.
Read em and weep boyz!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Seeing as how you're bragging about that post, one can only assume you feel Loui has been worth every penny thus far

... and will be worth every penny next season as well (and "maybe" the season after that).

But what about the rest of that post where you talk about the other options:
The Todd wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:12 pm I would have been more happy with a Brouwer for sure, less dollars and term. Not as talented, but a BC boy and brings much needed size to our foward core. If we really wanted an offensive guy, I'd rather take a chance on a Vanek/Stall type, way cheaper. Or even give Verby a chance to redeem himself, 1 year deal @ like $2-$3M. Weiser was a bit of a bargain too, I'd take him back.
Brouwer - his 4 year, $18M contract is a millstone, he's been HORRIBLE.

Vrbata - took a big dump on this team, no way was he coming back.

Weise - his 4 year, $9.4M contract is awful, he's a 4th-liner, a regular healthy scratch.

Once again you have made Mr Eriksson look good, pat yourself on the back Todd...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm No offense there Todd but you're not doing a very good job of "making a point".

Both those players are done like dinner (have you watched Burrows or checked his numbers lately?).

Mr Eriksson is helping this team WAAAAAAAAAY more than those two could.

You're trying to make Mr Eriksson look bad... but you're actually making him look good.

LOL
I don't have to try to make him look bad
Okay but it was still decent of you to go out of your way to make Mr Eriksson look good Todd, just sayin...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 am no asset was lost in acquiring Eriksson and we are not an up against the cap team team competing for the cup. Big fucking deal.
This is key.

By the time Pettersson and company are lining up to sign their 2nd contracts, Eriksson is off the books.

Sutter too for that matter.

These are the kind of forwards you want around your younguns during a rebuild.

Solid TWO WAY mentors....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

This looks like an admission that we will not be competing for a cup for more than 4 years :shock:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

If the Sedins retire and Vanek moves on, Eriksson, Sutter and Gagner can be the lone vets up front with half the team rookies/youth, and young guns like Horvat, Hutton etc. Probably be one of the top 10 youngest teams in the league

If the Sedins/Vanek move on by next season, it would be interesting to see next season's team vs the team Benning inherited in 2014.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

For the record, my guess was to go after Boedker who ended up signing 4yr $16 million. No trade protection was included.

viewtopic.php?p=261683#p261683
Topper wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:58 am I'm guessing Boedker
Last year Boedker put up 10g 16a in 81 games, in 32g this season, he has 3g 6a
For $6 million less than Loui.

Interestingly Bubble replied
viewtopic.php?p=261700#p261700
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:39 am I would target Devante Smith-Pelly, Jamie Mcginn, maybe Jon Merrill. Brouwer at perhaps 4 years and 4.25.

Boedker has put up underwhelming numbers for getting top line minutes and getting 3 or 4 min of pp time every game. He is allergic to contact as well. No thanks.
Even though a few month earlier he had said
viewtopic.php?p=251486#p251486
Wids I would have not bothered with the Bonino trade for the marginal upgrade at centre and the privelage of paying Sutter 4.5 million a year for the next six seasons. I definitely would not have re upped Dorsett and Sbisa to those hideous deals. We should have around 23-25 million to go shopping with this July. I would target any of Lucic, Ladd, Demers, Goligiski, Yandle, Boedker, Eriksson, Backes, Okposo, Brouwer. There's a few others as well and to get 2 - 3 of these guys could speed up the rebuild.You know , players who can actually impact a game in a positive way unlike the dryer lint that Elmer has shackled this organization to for the foreseeable future.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm If the Sedins retire and Vanek moves on, Eriksson, Sutter and Gagner can be the lone vets up front with half the team rookies/youth, and young guns like Horvat, Hutton etc. Probably be one of the top 10 youngest teams in the league

If the Sedins/Vanek move on by next season, it would be interesting to see next season's team vs the team Benning inherited in 2014.
The only players left from the team that hit the ice in 2013/2014
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Alex Edler
Chris Tanev

...but people only thought the rebuild began when Hansen and Burrows were moved. LOL

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Doh lol dats what day thought :roll:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:41 pm
The only players left from the team that hit the ice in 2013/2014
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Alex Edler
Chris Tanev

...but people only thought the rebuild began when Hansen and Burrows were moved. LOL
Turnover happens.

Pittsburgh Penguins:
Crosby
Dumoulin (a whopping 6 GP in 13/14)
Letang
Maata
Malkin

Edmonton Oilers:
Klefbom
RNH

Arizona:
Ekman-Larsson
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ 2 of those teams were rebuilding and the other is a oddity built around 3 superstars...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Some people just can't handle a rebuild.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 pm ^ 2 of those teams were rebuilding and the other is a oddity built around 3 superstars...
Excellent analysis.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm Some people just can't handle a rebuild.
Some people can’t handle the truth
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm This is key.

By the time Pettersson and company are lining up to sign their 2nd contracts, Eriksson is off the books.

Sutter too for that matter.

These are the kind of forwards you want around your younguns during a rebuild.

Solid TWO WAY mentors....
Umm.... so u would pay an inconsistent aging veteran $6M X $6 years to be a "two way" mentor? :hmmm:

And u r wrong btw, rebuilding teams don't hand out 6X6 contracts to guys like Loui.
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm I think we'll get decent years out of him maybe 3 out of the 6 years.
Seeing as how you're bragging about that post, one can only assume you feel Loui has been worth every penny thus far
I was wrong on that one. I was hoping that maybe we get 3 good years out of Loui, but his play has been even worse. At this rate, we'd be lucky to get ONE good year out him.

Strangelove wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm Brouwer - his 4 year, $18M contract is a millstone, he's been HORRIBLE.

Vrbata - took a big dump on this team, no way was he coming back.

Weise - his 4 year, $9.4M contract is awful, he's a 4th-liner, a regular healthy scratch.
Yes, lots of those guys during that free agent year are not doing that great, but I'd still take Brouwer + Weiser over Eriksson. Why do u ask? It's very simple man: way less annual cap hit and way less term. 2 years is a long time for an aging hockey player. I'd argue Brouwer and Weise play the heavy, gritty game, which our team desperately needs over a soft 2-way forward. Also, if u are going to bring up mentorship, I'd say Brouwer and Weise would be way better mentors than Loui to a young team (character guys with way more leadership).
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The, um, leaders or as so many like to say, "mentors" are there and playing,-Sutter.
Horvat, is not there.
Guess stats don't mean much.
Seems to me the younger players feed more off each other.
I suppose I should get up to speed and find out what is meant by, leadership.
:idea: I know. I'll Google it.
"evolution"