Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:36 pm
What part of "didn't comment on the FA signing at the time (July 1 2016)" did you not understand? :eh:

You linked not to "fluffery" but a fair October 10, 2016 assessment

Topper waited until he had a few weeks to observe Loui before commenting...
The signing was lauded as "decisive and bold" before the guy played a minute of real hockey for us.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm
What part of "didn't comment on the FA signing at the time (July 1 2016)" did you not understand? :eh:

The signing was lauded as "decisive and bold" before the guy played a minute of real hockey for us.
No the signing was lauded as "decisive and bold" on October 10, 2016

... after the guy had displayed skills playing for your Vancouver Canucks.

But all this is irrelevant no? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm UMMMMM Mr 'iggins doesn't play 'ockey anymore.

And you're the first Canuck fan I've seen who didn't love the Burrows trade.

Weeeeeeeee.......
I'd take Higgy @ like $2.5 with his contract expiring this season over Loui @ $6M with 4 more seasons after this any day.

As for Burr, my point is that u don't have to pay a guy like Loui $6M for what he gives us. There are lots of guys who can give us the same for way less.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :P

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sSofokAIiw[/youtube]
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm Blobert, perhaps you should instead focus on the Canuck players/contracts that you do like?

As your good friend, I believe that would be much better for your general overall health. :thumbs:

You do tend to go on and on about the few players/contracts you don't like old chap...
I would definitely do this if you might also agree to do something for me.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm UMMMMM Mr 'iggins doesn't play 'ockey anymore.

And you're the first Canuck fan I've seen who didn't love the Burrows trade.

Weeeeeeeee.......
I'd take Higgy @ like $2.5 with his contract expiring this season over Loui @ $6M with 4 more seasons after this any day.

As for Burr, my point is that u don't have to pay a guy like Loui $6M for what he gives us. There are lots of guys who can give us the same for way less.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :P
No offense there Todd but you're not doing a very good job of "making a point".

Both those players are done like dinner (have you watched Burrows or checked his numbers lately?).

Mr Eriksson is helping this team WAAAAAAAAAY more than those two could.

You're trying to make Mr Eriksson look bad... but you're actually making him look good.

LOL
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Higgins and Burrows are both done but you can find decent two way soft veteran forwards that put up 30 points in the 3 million dollar range on two or three year contracts. You don’t have to sign them to five or six year deals for 4.35 or 6 million annually.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 pm Higgins and Burrows are both done but you can find decent two way soft veteran forwards that put up 30 points in the 3 million dollar range on two or three year contracts. You don’t have to sign them to five or six year deals for 4.35 or 6 million annually.
No offense Blob, but I prefer discussing this with Todd.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

May have missed but who said that?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It was a decisive and bold move period.

Loui had a history of playing well with the Sedins and he was the highest touted FA of that year. Going out and getting was both decisive and bold. More balls from a GM on July 1st than the Canucks had seen in years.

If you are paying attention, you'd also note the title of the thread.

So again, RELEVANCE?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:27 pm It was a decisive and bold move period.

Loui had a history of playing well with the Sedins and he was the highest touted FA of that year. Going out and getting was both decisive and bold. More balls from a GM on July 1st than the Canucks had seen in years.
Actually IMO a totally stupid decision made by a GM who really had no idea what he was doing or pressured by equally idiotic owners.

There is no way anyone can make this signing look good. It was the wrong person, wrong type, wrong age, wrong length and wrong amount.

The team did not need another streaky soft player making too much money when he is old.

Saying anything else is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Of course this is all IMHO
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:32 pm Actually IMO a totally stupid decision made by a GM who really had no idea what he was doing or pressured by equally idiotic owners.

WHAAAA, WHAAAA, WHAAA
So I went back and looked at the FA signing thread to see what ruffles had to say. His only comment in the thread other than something about not liking Dorsett.

Not a word on Loui., but confusion on Bo.

viewtopic.php?p=262103#p262103
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:29 pm If we want Bo to be a #1 centre then I should say he sucks, I said this about the Sedins and Kesler and look how they turned out.

So - Bo knows nothing, let him walk, he is a bum.

Get any pick for him ........
Now that is RELEVANCE!

Here is what Mr. RELEVANCE? himself had to sayfrom his spot atop tanknation
viewtopic.php?p=261929#p261929
Island Nucklehead wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:19 pm Eriksson was one of the best talents avaialble, and EVERYONE gets overpaid on UFA day. If we aren't willing to go 6 years on him, he would sign elsewhere. Can definitely have the debate on wether or not we should've been players at all today, but you know this ownership/management refuses to see the writing on the wall and go for a rebuild. Loui will give us the extra 20-30 goals needed to move us 8-10 points in the standings and get us into that 10th-14th overall draft pick. But chances are there will be some nice goals with him and the Sedins lining up together.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=261929
His deal isn't close to the worst one today. Lucic, Ladd, Backes are all far worse contracts. $6M for a 25-30 goal guy ain't bad at all. But we will hate this deal when he's 35, just like most of the other contracts signed today.
Interesting comments from Doc, and I know he's repeated them once or twice

viewtopic.php?p=261971#p261971
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:28 pm Eriksson's contract is structured in such a way that if he's traded exactly 4 years from today

... only $1M in real dollars will be due him for 2020-21, and $4M for 2021-22... with a $6M cap-hit both years.

(traded after his $3M "signing bonus" on July 1, 2020)

Meaning he's likely extremely attractive to a team trying to reach the cap-floor.

Trust me this is a modern-day cap-circumvention contract!

One way or another (retirement in 2020 after receiving $31M of this $36M contract?)

... Loui is gone after 4 years.

Yeah, y'might say we're paying Eriksson $8M-per with a $6M-per cap-hit... for only 4 years.

Benning IS Megamind! :mex:
and

viewtopic.php?p=262018#p262018
Strangelove wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:06 pm Here: http://www.generalfanager.com/players/219

"Modified NTC (undisclosed details) in 2020-21 and 2021-22"

Usually Benning demands a 15-team list.

Most teams care about real dollars.

Two seasons of Eriksson, if he still has game, for a grand total of $5M real dollars!

If he doesn't have game he retires from the NHL....
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

That must of hurt putting that together.

LE signing sucks.

Pick and choose what ya want, I can assume you spent the evening writing that up.

Edit - really Top, read what I said and how I said it.

Lol
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm LE signing sucks.
You're assuming there is ZERO chance he returns to his usual goal-scoring pace at some point.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm I can assume you spent the evening writing that up.
You make that assumption based on how long it might take you to "write that up".

Well folks who have experience with searching archives and using the copy-n-paste tool can "write that up" in minutes.

All these assumptions Reefer, not good my friend...
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:37 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm LE signing sucks.
You're assuming there is ZERO chance he returns to his usual goal-scoring pace at some point.
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 pm I can assume you spent the evening writing that up.
You make that assumption based on how long it might take you to "write that up".

Well folks who have experience with searching archives and using the copy-n-paste tool can "write that up" in minutes.

All these assumptions Reefer, not good my friend...
Sure, still does not address that he didn’t actually read what I wrote.

I know that LE right now and for the rest of his career is not even remotely worth $6M with the Vancouver Canucks, the Nucks did not need that type of player at that time as well. Nor does the team the headache of trying to get rid of that contract during the next 4 years plus nothing to say what they need to send with him to get a team to take him.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 pm Sure, still does not address that he didn’t actually read what I wrote.

I know that LE right now and for the rest of his career is not even remotely worth $6M with the Vancouver Canucks, the Nucks did not need that type of player at that time as well. Nor does the team the headache of trying to get rid of that contract during the next 4 years plus nothing to say what they need to send with him to get a team to take him.
I'm getting a "headache".

Did you read what Topper wrote?

But hey, it's great that you "know" things pal...
____
Try to focus on someday.