GDT: Canucks host Oilers - 7pm - CBC - Oct 6

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks host Oilers - 7pm - CBC - Oct 6

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The key was the ganging of McDavid. Everyone made sure they had a handle on him and made things difficult. Dorset niggling at him threw him off and he ended up spending the night chasing the smirk around. Looking forward to seeing more poutie faced Connor in the future :lol:

Gudbransson and DelZotto were very good. I will look for recipes on how to prepare crow on Eric. He looks like a completely different player and MDZ works well with him.

It stings to see how Zack Kassian morphed into a good 3rd liner and more than just a crasher with crazy eyes.

Can't wait to hear the local take on the loss.
If you need air...call it in
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Cherry Picker wrote:I'm happy. I mean really f'n happy.
Haven't seen line matching like that in a long time with the Canucks.
Real solid checking line of Granlund, Sutter, Dorsett.
Granlund just rocked this game. He has great anticipation.
Green is off to a fine start.
The defense on this team looks pretty solid.
Transitions out of the zone were night and day compared to last year, much quicker.
If they keep playing like this all year, I'll enjoy watching whether or not they make the play-offs.
You basically wrote my post for me.
- I too, can't recall the last time I saw that degree of line matching. Nice to see a fully engaged game plan like that and Dorsett was excellent in that shutdown assignment
- based on last season and one game this year, Granlund is now my favourite pickup from Calgary
- Del Zotto's 1st pass is excellent.
- after game one, the surprisingly rapid detioration of the Sedins' sending and receiving passes is still present.
- nice to see the drop pass was not used every breakout on the PP.
- They seemed to buckle down and collapse a bit more to hold the fort later in the 3rd but there wasn't the abandon offence at all cost defensive fire drill that Willie employed and rarely worked.
- totally agreed on the last point, I dont care if they lose every game while playing with that sort of effort & hustle. Not sure it's sustainable but it was promising to see.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

So, if I was right that Horfat always has slow starts to the season, does this mean we are in for a heck of a season?

So, according to deployment, does it look like Sutter and Horvat are the Canucks top six centres?

So, if Green keep deploying Sutter and Dorsett in these roles, and they continue to look like Malhotra and Tikanen will fans start saying their contracts are good value?

So, the Canucks really went in the tank when the Green Men stopped showing up to games, now that Green is the man, does that mean the Green Men have essentially returned and the future will be brighter?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Hockey Widow wrote:Up front we did run 4 lines. I admit I cringed each shift the Sedins were out there. It won't be like that every night but it will be when up against a speedy team. I like Eriksson with Horvat and Baertschi. Virtanen, Gagne and Burmistrov was also a good line. And our checking line of Sutter, Granlund and Dorsett was our beast line.
Definitely agree with respect to the Sedins. I hate to rag on them, but I have to confess they looked pretty vulnerable out there. One thing I don't really get is pairing them with another relatively slow player in Vanek. I would think that having Granlund or someone with that kind of speed would be better to offset their slowness.
Rocky Dennis wrote:- after game one, the surprisingly rapid detioration of the Sedins' sending and receiving passes is still present.
Yeah, I hope that this is a function of their just being a little rusty (and maybe unfamiliar with Vanek) rather than a symptom of regression.
Cherry Picker wrote:If they keep playing like this all year, I'll enjoy watching whether or not they make the play-offs.
Fully agree. I haven't enjoyed watching a game as much as this in I don't remember how long. The style of play Green is implementing is miles ahead in entertainment value than either of the two previous coaches (in my opinion). Who knows how long it will last or whether it will show itself to be effective after other teams become familiar with it, but can't help but enjoy the moment and ride it out.

Some other thoughts which are based on a first game assessment only (not saying projectable for the season):

Bo - Wow. Looks like he is pushing for yet another step in development which is great. One small nitpick is there were a few times when it looked like he was trying to do a little too much on his own without using the players around him. Some of that may change as he adapts to having Eriksson as a linemate (or Boeser).
Loui - Still not very impressed with this guy. For the sake of the 6 Million in 6 years, I sure hope he improves more than what I saw in this game. I would rather see Boeser playing with Bo and Baer at this point.
MDZ - Maybe I am looking through rose coloured glasses, but he sure changes the complexion of the defense for the better. Seems to really be a perfect pairing for Guds and his ability to assist with the breakout is something I haven't seen on this team in a long time.
Jake - Very good game. Played with speed to burn and drew a couple penalties because of it. Also, noticed him speeding back to help out on the backend when needed. And that play appeared to earn trust with Green as he got minutes near the end of the game (something I doubt we would have seen with Willie).
Granlund - Showed his jack of all trades abilities with strong play and almost a short hander.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

As far as ice time goes, D. Sedin with 14:02 and H. Sedin with 13:30 is a good sign.

Jake with only 7:34 though? I don't recall him leaving the bench at any time.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

5thhorseman wrote:As far as ice time goes, D. Sedin with 14:02 and H. Sedin with 13:30 is a good sign.

Jake with only 7:34 though? I don't recall him leaving the bench at any time.
If Green sticks to his word, they will have the teams they are playing much better scouted then previously.
It was important to come out with a bang, and they did.
There will be many an occasion playing teams that base their system on a slower grinding style.
I'm sure there WILL be occasions, maybe many, where others take a turn in the press box.
IMO, it shouldn't be too long before we see Boeser and Virtanen both in the line-up.
Having said that, doubt Green is going to gift anything so when they do get the chance.
All out, noodles to the wall hockey, man.
"evolution"
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Just think how good Horfat could be if he ever gets in shape.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

sagebrush wrote:Just think how good Horfat could be if he ever gets in shape.
Exactly!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But Mickey the Wrinser said he's a fat tub of shit who looks like he eats basketball soup on a regular basis.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Up front we did run 4 lines. I admit I cringed each shift the Sedins were out there. It won't be like that every night but it will be when up against a speedy team. I like Eriksson with Horvat and Baertschi. Virtanen, Gagne and Burmistrov was also a good line. And our checking line of Sutter, Granlund and Dorsett was our beast line.
Definitely agree with respect to the Sedins. I hate to rag on them, but I have to confess they looked pretty vulnerable out there. One thing I don't really get is pairing them with another relatively slow player in Vanek. I would think that having Granlund or someone with that kind of speed would be better to offset their slowness.
Rocky Dennis wrote:- after game one, the surprisingly rapid detioration of the Sedins' sending and receiving passes is still present.
Yeah, I hope that this is a function of their just being a little rusty (and maybe unfamiliar with Vanek) rather than a symptom of regression.
Unless you split the twins apart, what you see is what you get, they'll have some good games for sure this season, but the Sedins shouldn't be the main focus anymore, just let them do their thing on the 2nd or even 3rd line, with 2nd unit powerplay.

Plus they strike me as a type that would be better suited for the playoffs at this point as a 3rd wave of attack, that can slow it down, with tactile chess moves.

But yeah Granlund on their line would do wonders, Granlund is a savvy 200ft player with scoring skills, he kept on positioning himself to score, but he wasn't going to get those passes from Sutter or Dorsett aha.

Sedins and Vanek had some moments though, I think when Vanek adjusts to their game he can snipe in those passes.

Make no mistake though having the Sedins in a secondary scoring role is a rare luxury.
DonCherry4PM wrote:
Cherry Picker wrote:If they keep playing like this all year, I'll enjoy watching whether or not they make the play-offs.
Fully agree. I haven't enjoyed watching a game as much as this in I don't remember how long. The style of play Green is implementing is miles ahead in entertainment value than either of the two previous coaches (in my opinion). Who knows how long it will last or whether it will show itself to be effective after other teams become familiar with it, but can't help but enjoy the moment and ride it out.
Yup, happy the depth JB sought out this offseason, it makes a big difference in the team's mindset knowing full well their is some young talent nipping at their heels to play on the team.

Green's no nonsense hockey is refreshing, every player knows their role and yes he actually line matches aha, additionally it sounds like he knows how to adjust to each teams strengths/weaknesses, like a real coach. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

LE better drastically improve or that is going to be 1 really bad boat anchor in 1-2 years.

Hell it is a really bad deal now.

10M tied up in Sutter and LE.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

But Micky the Wrinser said he's a fat tub of shit who looks like he eats basketball soup on a regular basis.
FYP and you are one for exaggerating a ton eh ? Weird tactic. :crazy:
"evolution"
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

DonCherry4PM wrote:One thing I don't really get is pairing them with another relatively slow player in Vanek.
The reason behind this is to make the Sedins look really fast. :P

But nevertheless it was fun to watch.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Late observations from game 1:

* Depth matters. A lot. The Canucks don't really have any high end talent any more. So it is all the more important to not have 4 minutes a period occupied by guys whose only positive contribution is giving the better players time to rest. Forward depth is the biggest difference between this version of the Canucks and last season's version. They might even be able to survive a couple injuries. Defense depth, though, is far weaker.

* Vanek is sneaky dangerous. Guys that are basically invisible and yet somehow manage 3 or 4 high quality chances, well, manage 3 or 4 high quality chances a game! I was encouraged by Vanek's ability to find soft spots in scoring positions; some of those tips will go in.

* I am not surprised to see the ragging on the twins. They are a shell of who they once were, but they were, for awhile, 2 of the best 5 forwards on the planet. They remain better than average players. And they will benefit from Vanek's sneakiness. They should be in the 50 point range with less ice time this year. That's a good thing.

* The Edmonton defense needs Sekera. Without him, they aren't that good as a group.

* I wish we had that Zach Kassian. No longer the potential of a 1st line power forward, but when did he start playing smart? By the way, I think that it is an interesting strategy to take defensively challenged forwards and put them on the PK. It makes defense the only concern; often bad defensive forwards are those who just don't show the hustle to stick to a guy that probably won't get the puck or skate as hard to get in a position to take a pass and have a second to make a decision as they would to get open for a goal scoring chance. Usually that doesn't burn you, so you keep doing silly things. But on the PK, you have to be ON and aware at all times. Anyway, I'm thinking there might be something to the idea that a bad 5 on 5 defensive forward might not be terrible on the PK and might just pick up some good habits along the way.

* Granlund is a very good hockey player and I am very glad they moved Hansen so as not to be tempted to expose him. He played well, and I think that will happen nearly every night.

* MDZ and Gudbrandson played well. And that's not going to happen every night, or even most nights. When they play well, the Canucks have what approximates a legitimate blue line. When it doesn't happen, things aren't going to be pretty. Because Chris Tanev (and maybe Alex Edler) is the only two legitimate top 4 defensemen on the team. They need MDZ and Gudbrandson to play like the other 2.

* Speaking of which, this is in part why the Canucks didn't want to have Virtanen, Boeser, and Goldobin make this team and play meaningful minutes every night. For all the woes about scoring goals, the Canucks were equally bad at keeping pucks out of the net the past 2 seasons. For forwards, keeping pucks out of the net is about good positioning and awareness in the defensive end without the puck and keeping possession when you have the puck. If you can't do that, shifts are played in your end, and that's how you give up goals. Well, that and when the goalie is pulled because of a delayed penalty and LE has the puck.....

Wait, that's not about Game 1 this season.....
Hono_rary Canadian