US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by damonberryman »

Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: Trump does appear to have some dictatorial tenancies
Yet you say he "hasn't passed any major legislation". :hmmm:
On example might be his refusal to hold regular press conferences. Another might be the White House holding press briefings without permitting cameras. Yet another might be his constant attacks on the free press, characterizing it as fake news (and yet ascribing to far right/alt right/conspiracy theorist publications from Fox, Breibart, and InfoWars). Another still might be his attempting to influence privates businesses to fire employees who are protesting while at work (i.e. putting pressure on private business to dismiss employees doing something he does not agree with). Another might be putting family members into high level government jobs, for which they are not qualified--that's a good one. I could go on...but alas.

Fortunately, the United State was designed not to let those with dictatorial tendencies become actual dictators. Hence this guy has done nothing of note in government except whine about the requirements for super majorities in congress...and other checks and balances long part of the US government.
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: , along with a VERY tenuous grasp of the concept of free speech.
How so?

Google this: "trump is right" nfl "First Amendment"
Free speech, the ability to protest, the right to freedom of assembly...and other such rights and freedoms are rights individuals have vis-a-vis the government. Trump appears to lash out at many protesters with whom he does not agree, accusing them of disrespecting the flag or the country. After all, he tweeted that burning the flag should result in jail or revocation of citizenship--which does not accord with a judgment of the US Supreme Court on freedom of speech.

He also proposed to change libel laws to go after the press...that could fall under category (1) or category (2) of this post.

Anyhow, it might just be me, but I would hope that anyone who supports democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, equality under the law...essentially all the things that go hand and hand with Western democracies would not support a POTUS who seems either not to not understand or not to support (or both) many of these critical tenets underpinning the United States and Canada.
It is not just you.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

damonberryman wrote:
Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: Trump does appear to have some dictatorial tenancies
Yet you say he "hasn't passed any major legislation". :hmmm:
On example might be his refusal to hold regular press conferences. Another might be the White House holding press briefings without permitting cameras. Yet another might be his constant attacks on the free press, characterizing it as fake news (and yet ascribing to far right/alt right/conspiracy theorist publications from Fox, Breibart, and InfoWars). Another still might be his attempting to influence privates businesses to fire employees who are protesting while at work (i.e. putting pressure on private business to dismiss employees doing something he does not agree with). Another might be putting family members into high level government jobs, for which they are not qualified--that's a good one. I could go on...but alas.

Fortunately, the United State was designed not to let those with dictatorial tendencies become actual dictators. Hence this guy has done nothing of note in government except whine about the requirements for super majorities in congress...and other checks and balances long part of the US government.
Strangelove wrote:
Mondi wrote: , along with a VERY tenuous grasp of the concept of free speech.
How so?

Google this: "trump is right" nfl "First Amendment"
Free speech, the ability to protest, the right to freedom of assembly...and other such rights and freedoms are rights individuals have vis-a-vis the government. Trump appears to lash out at many protesters with whom he does not agree, accusing them of disrespecting the flag or the country. After all, he tweeted that burning the flag should result in jail or revocation of citizenship--which does not accord with a judgment of the US Supreme Court on freedom of speech.

He also proposed to change libel laws to go after the press...that could fall under category (1) or category (2) of this post.

Anyhow, it might just be me, but I would hope that anyone who supports democracy, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, equality under the law...essentially all the things that go hand and hand with Western democracies would not support a POTUS who seems either not to not understand or not to support (or both) many of these critical tenets underpinning the United States and Canada.
It is not just you.
No, there are millions more...

Who don't get it! For some reason
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

TO THOSE WHO SAY "THE TAX CUTS WILL BENEFIT THE WEALTHY"
by Kevin Ryan

Suppose that every day, five men go out for drinks and the bill for all five comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this…

The first man (the poorest) would pay nothing
The second would pay $4
The third would pay $9
The fourth would pay $18
The fifth man (the richest) would pay $69

So, that’s what they decided to do.

The five men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball.

“Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20”. Drinks for the five men would now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first man was unaffected. He would still drink for free. But what about the other four men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

The bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts that each should now pay.

The second now paid $2 instead of $4 (50% saving).
The third now paid $6 instead of $9 (33% saving).
The fourth now paid $13 instead of $18 (28% saving).
The fifth now paid $59 instead of $69 (14% saving).

Each of the four was better off than before. And the first continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

“I only got $2 out of the $20 saving,” declared the second man. He pointed to the fifth man, ”but he got $10!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the third man. “I only saved $3. It’s unfair that he got three times more benefit than me!”

“That’s true!” shouted the fourth man. “Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $5? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first man, “I didn’t get anything at all. This new payment system exploits the poor!”

The four men surrounded the fifth and beat him up.

The next night the fifth man didn’t show up for drinks so the other four sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:1. Do you support a change to libel laws, to make it easier for the government to sue the free press? Are you against the "fair comment" laws in the United States?
Yeah, why not just tap their phone like his predecessor did?
Mondi wrote:2. Do you agree that rules in congress should be change so that legislation could be passed with only a simple majority? Do you not disagree with the founders?
Have you stopped beating your wife yet?
Mondi wrote:3. Are you okay with someone with IMMENSE power, like the POTUS, who encourages business owners to fire employees for expressing views whilst at work?
I am ok with anyone encouraging the enforcement of employment contracts.
Mondi wrote:4. Do you think the various versions of Trumpcare are good for Americans? Do you think there will be tangible benefits to the US people arising from bills such as the ones already abandoned or voted down?
Do you think the impending doom of the current US health care system's failure under its own weight is not worth fixing or do you want to saddle onto that bomb and ride it off into its nuclear sunset?
Mondi wrote:5. Can you answer any of these questions without mentioning a Clinton?
Yes

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote:TO THOSE WHO SAY "THE TAX CUTS WILL BENEFIT THE WEALTHY"
by Kevin Ryan

Suppose that every day, five men go out for drinks and the bill for all five comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this…

The first man (the poorest) would pay nothing
The second would pay $4
The third would pay $9
The fourth would pay $18
The fifth man (the richest) would pay $69

So, that’s what they decided to do.

The five men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball.

“Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20”. Drinks for the five men would now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first man was unaffected. He would still drink for free. But what about the other four men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

The bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts that each should now pay.

The second now paid $2 instead of $4 (50% saving).
The third now paid $6 instead of $9 (33% saving).
The fourth now paid $13 instead of $18 (28% saving).
The fifth now paid $59 instead of $69 (14% saving).

Each of the four was better off than before. And the first continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

“I only got $2 out of the $20 saving,” declared the second man. He pointed to the fifth man, ”but he got $10!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the third man. “I only saved $3. It’s unfair that he got three times more benefit than me!”

“That’s true!” shouted the fourth man. “Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $5? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first man, “I didn’t get anything at all. This new payment system exploits the poor!”

The four men surrounded the fifth and beat him up.

The next night the fifth man didn’t show up for drinks so the other four sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
Your analogy presupposes the poorest guy gets a beer. But in reality the poor get shit. Healthcare, education, social services are grossly underfunded and ineffective.
Logically the tax system is slanted toward the rich or they are collection of he dumbest fuckers on earth since it’s the rich who control all the levers of power and control the way the tax system is set up in the first place
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Way to go Mondi.

Topper can barely respond with anything substantial.

SL is probably cracking his knuckles and smiling with glee preparing a multi page response that won't directly answer any questions you asked. But he will somehow call you a name or reference something negative about you.

Anyway we are all Canucks.
Last edited by 2Fingers on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hurricanes, Puerto Rico, North Korea, Trump is out golfing and shit.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

About as conspiracy minded as Alex Jones, but by a guy with an IQ higher than his shoe size:

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

"50 dead and 200 injured as gunman with terrifying arsenal of weapons opens fire on packed Vegas music festival"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ailymailus
FIFTY dead and 200 injured as gunman with terrifying arsenal of weapons opens fire on packed Vegas music festival from 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay hotel: Shooter killed and 'companion' caught

-At least 50 people have been killed and more than 200 injured after a shooting at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada

-The shooter has been identified as Stephen Paddock, 64, who opened fire from a 32nd floor room of Mandalay Bay Hotel after 10pm Sunday night

-Officers said Paddock was shot dead inside his hotel room alongside an 'arsenal' of weapons

-Cops have located Marilou Danley, described as Paddock's 'companion' and roommate, for questioning, but say they don't believe she was involved in theshooting

-It's the deadliest shooting in U.S. history - eclipsing last year's massacre at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Friends are in Vegas for the music festival. I should see them Wednesday and catch the details that they may have.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:Friends are in Vegas for the music festival. I should see them Wednesday and catch the details that they may have.
Have you heard from them?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Yes, they're good. Part of the many that ended up holed up at the Tropicana.

I went through a similar situation in Jamaica at a New Years Eve concert, when the bands didn't show up, bottles and rock started getting thrown at the stage, when the truck with the cash from ticket sales started to move, the guns came out.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

A tragic act of terrorism. :(
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

NRA Says Mass Shootings Just The Unfortunate Price Of Protecting People’s Freedom To Commit Mass Shootings

http://www.theonion.com/article/nra-say ... -pro-57094
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote:NRA Says Mass Shootings Just The Unfortunate Price Of Protecting People’s Freedom To Commit Mass Shootings

http://www.theonion.com/article/nra-say ... -pro-57094
Just like London's mayor saying living in a big city is part and parcel with Islamic terrorism
If you need air...call it in