Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:Wow. Just wow. Let's hope our prospects fail, are a bust, so we can be proven right that Benning is an asshole.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Who is hoping Jake fails? If the Canucks hope to contend soon, they need him.

At this point, he's clearly an inferior player to Nylander and Ehlers.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

It's premature to judge Juolevi, but interesting to see how he responds to different situations.

Juolevi plays a finesse game, not a power game. He needs a capable D partner to play off of. Familiarity helps.

Witness - what happened in the Young Stars game against Calgary, where Juolevi had everything but the kitchen sink as a D partner (& played both sides). The results in that game were not pretty. He acquitted himself respectably in the other 2 games.

Lets see how he looks in a higher tempo game with a better D partner. Will he make his D partner look better or worse ? How will he respond to the increased speed of NHL quality players? :mex:

Maybe later he will develop the ability to assert & dominate, but that looks to be a ways off. He's young.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

At this point, he's clearly an inferior player to Nylander and Ehlers.
So what if he is?? He doesn't have to be something for a couple years yet... if ever.

Are we going to get our panties in a knot because a lower picked player in the top 10 of a draft year outperformed a higher pick in the draft order?!? How many times has that happened via the draft?!? Hundreds?? Perhaps a thousand?!? Ffs.. the GM made a call. It could be right, and it could Be wrong.. either way, it's still too early to tell. To keep hammering on it is like telling a shitbird to wear shitgoggles because the shitstorm is coming on fullshit style and the shitbucket is already full of shit...

How many 2 round picks have we selected that have out performed 1st round picks?
How many 3rds have we selected that out performed 2nds??

How does that compare to others GM's?? (Now, I understand that it's still 2 years too early to judge that,so people need a little patience)

But to have a couple guys derail every single conversation/thread because of 4 decisions in 3 years is simply retarded.

I get that some just want to argue or whatever, but ffs.. some peeps need to chill.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Wow. Just wow. Let's hope our prospects fail, are a bust, so we can be proven right that Benning is an asshole.

Throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Yup, pretty sad, I warned them it would come to this...
Who is "them" ?
I'm fine waiting on Juolevi and Virtanen for that matter. I'd have much rather seen Ritchie and Tkachuk drafted but what's done is done
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Typical Swill Happy Macenzzi - "much rather have - Ritchie"

If we are doing a do over my list of much ragher haves is first Pastrnak then Nylander. That's just about it. I've got
some faith in Jake the Flake
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

What sucks is both McCavoy and Sergachev are both miles ahead of OJ as dmen...Keller and Tkachuk are also now clearing him by a fair margin.
Who was the last high draft toothpick dman we drafted who busted again? That beanpole who was supposed to be hard as fuck lol

Edit-not trolling just don't think OJ is a top tier prospect. More of an average stay at home 2nd/3rd pairing type
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote:What sucks is both McCavoy and Sergachev are both miles ahead of OJ as dmen...Keller and Tkachuk are also now clearing him by a fair margin.
Who was the last high draft toothpick dman we drafted who busted again? That beanpole who was supposed to be hard as fuck lol

Edit-not trolling just don't think OJ is a top tier prospect. More of an average stay at home 2nd/3rd pairing type
Cheer up Debbie Downer. Ole OJ will be fine
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:What sucks is both McCavoy and Sergachev are both miles ahead of OJ as dmen...Keller and Tkachuk are also now clearing him by a fair margin.

I remember someone saying the same a few years into Brad Ferences "development"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Fetence was ridiculously thin for someone trying survive by playing a big mans game, the only he could play. It was a terrible combo, might have worked in junior.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I remember Ferrence cheap shotted Matty Ohlund in camp as an 18 or 19 year old. Jamie Huscroft threw him around und like a rag doll and beat the shit out of him in Whistler.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I will say that although Juolevi will be a fine NHL'er, passing on Tkachuk was not so genius. Benning got too wrapped up in OJ's Lightning in a Bottle WJC performance. like I said OJ will be fine but this organization on many different levels, mainly waning fan interest, could use the media hype and fan interest that Tkachuk drums up, not too mention this city loves Tkachuk type a-holes. oh well, it is what it is
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

If it's any consolation the other player I think we were eyeing (PLD) isn't showing any better
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

More consolation; Petterson obviously has a fair ways to go too, but Vegas sent Cody Glass back to Junior already
where he's played one game and got 3 points. :)
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I will say it again, unless he turns into a top d man 30 points person the GENIUS GM shit the bed drafting him.

We will not know for 3-4 Year’s from now by then RD and SL will still be talking about 1-2 years
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Juolevi will come around - top pairing dman

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I remember someone saying the same a few years into Brad Ferences "development"
:lol: :lol: are you really trying to compare Brad Fucking Ference (the junkyard dog) to Juolevi now? bro relax man.

People were bashing Virtanen now he's finally developing, every player has their own different development path.
Juolevi has often been compared to a fellow Finn, Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins, and it’s not just because they have the same first name.

The 18-year-old defenceman is an all-around playmaker with size, outstanding hockey sense, and solid puck possession. He had nine goals and 33 assists in 57 games for London and added 14 points in 18 OHL playoff games. At the Memorial Cup, Juolevi led all defencemen with seven points (all assists) in four games as the Knights took home the championship.

Juolevi is a multi-dimensional talent. He can rush the puck through the neutral zone, provide steady play in his own end, and is one of the most competitive players in the draft class.

“He burst on to the scene and didn’t require the adjustment period that most players coming from Europe do,” NHL Central Scouting’s Matt Ryan told NHL.com last month. “His poise with the puck is that of a much older player and he has the ability to see the ice the way most players can’t.”

He also has a clear sense of where he needs to improve.

“I’m a pretty good skater so the big rink [in Europe] was a good thing for me growing up,” the defenceman told Sportsnet’s Gare Joyce earlier this year. “I know now that I have to be stronger here because the rink is smaller. Plays happen faster from the boards to the net. You have to be strong on the boards. For me this is something that I have to work at. I’m lucky because I work at it every day because I have to practice against our top line (Mitch Marner, Christian Dvorak and Matthew Tkachuk).”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pros ... i-juolevi/
He's great post seasons whether in ohl/chl or international tournaments, but both his teams have take massive hits on talent in London and Finland who was icing a super young team after the "vets" left to go pro.

Just let him develop for a few years like a housing investment in Vancouver a few years ago before all the foreign investment taxes started kicking in, let it bloom bruh.

Ohlund, Edler, Larsson all became much better at 21 years old onwards, heck John Klingberg didn't start his first NHL season till he was 22 years old. Oscar Klefbom had his first great season just last year at 23 years of age. Hampus Lindholm was the only one who had a good start at 19 years of age, averaging 30 points per the next few years.

Juolevi is still just a 19 year old who needs time to adjust to the pro's, like numerous Euro dmen before him.
Last edited by SKYO on Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.