Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2017-2018

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Doc will enjoy a rim lick later with Dude
Bwahaha fuck man that made me knock fuckin cheezies everywhere.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

God's gunna get ya for laughing at that Dan.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Doc will enjoy a rim lick later with Dude
Tim Hortons drive through, what a date night.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Cornuck wrote:Notes from the Sedins:
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/dear-v ... -290849006
I'm a bit surprised the Sedins gave Anson Carter so much credit. Trent Klatt played a similar game by going into tuff areas to score, but guess he wasn't skilled enuff. *hehe* Looking back, Nonis probably should have brought Carter back with a low ball offer after Carter failed in Columbus/Carolina.

Speaking of Carter, I think Vanek can be a Carter 2.0 for us. A big guy who can play that Sedin cycle game with soft hands around the net. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

#Canucks have released Aaron Berisha, Matt Barberis, Johny Corneil and Aaron Luchuk from tryout.

I liked Luchuk and thought he had a shot a a contract with Utica. Could still happen I guess. Didn't notice the other three at all really.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
I'm a bit surprised the Sedins gave Anson Carter so much credit. Trent Klatt played a similar game by going into tuff areas to score, but guess he wasn't skilled enuff. *hehe* Looking back, Nonis probably should have brought Carter back with a low ball offer after Carter failed in Columbus/Carolina.

Speaking of Carter, I think Vanek can be a Carter 2.0 for us. A big guy who can play that Sedin cycle game with soft hands around the net. :P
My recollection of carter was .... that fucker can't even skate...lol
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Linc
CC Rookie

Post by Linc »

I think other teams felt he couldn't skate as well and focused more of their attention on the Sedins. With the Sedins, Carter was great at floating around unnoticed and then being in the right space at the right time.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

micky107 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:It is a showcase event. The teams are expected to take competitive squads with them. I imagine the team that is papered to be our opening roster will attend while a number of bubble players will get a ton of exhibition games back home.

As well as the company perk part :mrgreen:
Let's just hope Jim has talked to Rob about not portraying scenes out of "Slapshot" because Mr. Blake could be a
pretty intimidating sort, if I recall..
http://dropyourgloves.com/fights/FightC ... ?P=279&L=1
http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?P=358

LOL, Blake loses to Ruutu
Speaking of Ruutu, the Canucks could use a guy like him now. :mrgreen:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ya! Your right. 8-)
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Linc wrote:I think other teams felt he couldn't skate as well and focused more of their attention on the Sedins. With the Sedins, Carter was great at floating around unnoticed and then being in the right space at the right time.
Their BJ Mcdonald.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Writing their own eulogy.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

During the meet the press yesterday Hank, I think, could have been Dank, was asked if they had given any thought for a fair well type of tour and whether they were going to do that this year. Hank, I'll stick with Hank, laughed and said he hadn't heard that one before and no it wasn't in their minds and he hoped that was still a few years away since they were only 36 not 46. Or words to that effect.

Translation: they will be back on yearly contracts until THEY feel done.

So no more talk about trading them and no more talk about retirement this year. We're still transitioning :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Linc wrote:I think other teams felt he couldn't skate as well and focused more of their attention on the Sedins. With the Sedins, Carter was great at floating around unnoticed and then being in the right space at the right time.
Other teams did not "forget" about Anson Carter, but he was great at getting to open spaces in scoring areas. And that's different than crashing the net, which Klatt and King did, though the former is not mutually exclusive of the latter.

At the end of the day, though, Dank and Hank didn't become strong on the puck until that post-lockout season. (Consider that when projecting Petterson -- that was the Sedins Age 24 season.) Carter benefited from that development, which led to a higher quality and quantity of possession, and for the Sedins to credit Carter for a production jump that was due to their development and not really their linemate is typical Sedin modesty.

They made their big skill jump earlier: 2003-2004 (playing with King, then Arvedson, and then usually Linden, IIRC). At that point, the occasional flashes of brilliance from their first three campaigns became a regular thing. Every night you'd see them try something new, something that most other players couldn't do.

The final leap (after they added strength to skill) was a couple years later, when they developed the ability to be dangerous off the rush. They were never fast (though their speed improved), but they became pretty adept at more quickly and effectively exploiting defensive breakdowns with mini-rushes. Urgency is the best word to describe the last attribute they obtained which finally made them elite offensive players.

Now we've seen a decline in speed, a decline in skill (even at the fundamentals -- passes are less sharp in giving and receiving), and less benefit from the strength (because they are less likely to have full control). They are no longer elite; they are no longer very good. But they remain good, and as long as they remain good, I am perfectly fine with them on the team.
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins turning 37 in 13 days - Sept 26.

$2M a piece for the mega twins 2018/19 season, due to their slower skating speed & lack of mass ala Jagr, they probably only go to 38, which is a nice age for em, gives em couple years to play in Modo if they choose to.

Be awesome to see the Sedins play one season with Dahlen-Pettersson. :o
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Training camp notes:

Sedins with Goldy on a line.
Burmistrov between Vanek and Eriksson

Virtanen coming into camp at a respectable 215lbs, one of the few Canucks with some mass, could bode well for him if he utilize that size, as the team is pretty Trevor Linden/Brandon Sutter skinny.
He was one of the first on the ice this morning.

Henrik saying the skating in practise by Green is like the days of old 15+ years ago, hard working practice.
"That was tough, it's the way camp was 15-20 years ago. Coach wanted a really good pace and guys were ready. It's refreshing." -- Henrik
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.