Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes 2016/17

Post by olpaddy »

RoyalDude wrote:Accept it, the Canadian Hockey media outside of BC hates the Canucks. O'Neill is as bad as Cox at trying to hide their disdain for Vancouver
Outside of Vancouver??? Pacific Blue we are roughly the same age both grew up in the community I went to Seycove HS a good North Van boy Like myself there were plenty of Nights on the radio listening to Dan CALLER CALLER Russell Plenty of times listening to McCrae RIP plenty of times reading Jim Taylor and Tony G Elliot Pap or the Monotne voice of JP life of the Party McConnell talking about another loss in an half empty PNE in the 80s...

It wasn't all fun and Giggles unless you worked with the hipsters at the Sports Page or Larscheid on Colour... They were the only positive peeps in the entire market...

Anything that Jeff O'Neil or Cox says PALES in comparison to the shit show that was in town for YEARS...
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Basically the opinion of the signings is they are fair signings for decent players at a decent term, and would be good deals for anyone outside of Vancouver; but, Vancouver should be trying to purposefully lose like Toronto did to get Matthews. Of course there is no recognition that no matter how poorly the Canucks do they won't get the first pick over all, or that the idea of sport is to try and not purposefully tank like Toronto did.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

They all missed the part were Benning said none of these signings will get us into the playoffs. That's a team effort and a lot of things have to go right for that to happen. He was very clear, these guys are all pretty much, on some level, reclamation projects (my words) with a chance to improve our speed and skill. If they perform they may earn new contracts. If they perform we get to protect the kids a little longer. They are pure placeholders with a golden opportunity to find a new long term home, if they earn it.

I think Benning likes to target former first round picks. Gagne, Burmistrov, and Del Zotto are former 1st rounders.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cherry Picker wrote:Basically the opinion of the signings is they are fair signings for decent players at a decent term, and would be good deals for anyone outside of Vancouver; but, Vancouver should be trying to purposefully lose like Toronto did to get Matthews. Of course there is no recognition that no matter how poorly the Canucks do they won't get the first pick over all, or that the idea of sport is to try and not purposefully tank like Toronto did.

So right on. Even tank nation is starting to understand that tanking no longer guarantees a top three pick. Heck Buffalo is still hurting over losing out on McJesus and they love Eichel. And what could have been for us hurts enough but yet somehow it's Benning's fault.

Neither Toronto nor Edmonton would be on this sudden reemergence had they not drafted McJesus and Matthews yet somehow their GMs are in the genius mode. if we had drafted top 2 last year and again this year then we'd be getting ready to push back into the playoffs, transition plan away from the twins expidited, twins properly pushed into a secondary role.

That's the value of a generational player. That's why they are called generational or franchise players. Their impact can be that sudden and that powerful. Not every team has one. Some have more than one or 1.5 of one. And having a generational player is inviting to other players who want to play with them.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: O'Niel is the same eastern bag licker that said (before the 2016 draft lottery) 'the only thing worse than buffalo winning the Mathews (draft) lottery would be Vancouver'.. and he said it with disdain and contempt. Another example of true non- bias eastern bag licking media.

Of course he has no idea what's happening around the league. He never leaves the Center of the universe.
Party Boy O'Neill took a lot of shots to the head during his playing career and in fact is still self-medicating.

Add to that the fact he was never smart to begin with and was born + raised a Leaf fan.

What you have here then is a chubby brain damaged individual with a blind hatred for all things Canucks.
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cherry Picker wrote:Basically the opinion of the signings is they are fair signings for decent players at a decent term, and would be good deals for anyone outside of Vancouver; but, Vancouver should be trying to purposefully lose like Toronto did to get Matthews. Of course there is no recognition that no matter how poorly the Canucks do they won't get the first pick over all, or that the idea of sport is to try and not purposefully tank like Toronto did.
The thing I keep going back to is how do we get Horvat, Boeser, Hutton, Stecher, Markstrom, Baertschi and Granlund to the next level if we are truly awful year after year? At some point you spoil good players if a McDavid doesn't fall into your lap.

IMO, at the end of last year our forward group was too terrible, even for a rebuilding team. This at least gives hope and support to the future core players who are on the team now or close.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote:

So right on. Even tank nation is starting to understand that tanking no longer guarantees a top three pick. Heck Buffalo is still hurting over losing out on McJesus and they love Eichel. And what could have been for us hurts enough but yet somehow it's Benning's fault.

Neither Toronto nor Edmonton would be on this sudden reemergence had they not drafted McJesus and Matthews yet somehow their GMs are in the genius mode. if we had drafted top 2 last year and again this year then we'd be getting ready to push back into the playoffs, transition plan away from the twins expidited, twins properly pushed into a secondary role.

That's the value of a generational player. That's why they are called generational or franchise players. Their impact can be that sudden and that powerful. Not every team has one. Some have more than one or 1.5 of one. And having a generational player is inviting to other players who want to play with them.
Not sure who "tank nation" is but I've never seen anyone blame Benning for losing the lottery. I've only seen him blamed for hemorrhaging draft picks and for signing mediocre players to bloated contracts and overpaying for slugs in trades. Furthermore Toronto, Edmonton and Buffalo aren't just better because of Mathews, Mcdavid and Eichel. They have other good young players as well. These teams are far deeper in young talent than Vancouver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Holy fuck Bubble Bath, what's with you? To say that the leaves and Oilers would still be the darlings of the league without Matthews or McDavid is proof you are very damaged by alcoholism.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Holy fuck Bubble Bath, what's with you? To say that the leaves and Oilers would still be the darlings of the league without Matthews or McDavid is proof you are very damaged by alcoholism.
I just said they have more young talent than Vancouver regardless of winning the lottery. You have trouble reading ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Neither Toronto nor Edmonton would be on this sudden reemergence had they not drafted McJesus and Matthews yet somehow their GMs are in the genius mode.
Not sure who "tank nation" is but I've never seen anyone blame Benning for losing the lottery.
Mondi and a couple others have said Leaves/Oil are smarter than Nucks based on their sudden turnaround.

If Canucks had won say the Matthews lottery, no doubt they would be golden in the eyes of said folk.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Holy fuck Bubble Bath, what's with you? To say that the leaves and Oilers would still be the darlings of the league without Matthews or McDavid is proof you are very damaged by alcoholism.
I just said they have more young talent than Vancouver regardless of winning the lottery. You have trouble reading ?
Holy fuck Bubble Bath! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RD has selective reading.

Doc has selective posting.

I can't spell.

Blob is a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit negative on our beloved GM.

But we all fracking hate Toronto SN.

To come off pretending not to be biased really pisses me off. I may be a jackass but every time I hear them having financial troubles I love it. Maybe if they stopped sticking their heads up the Jays and Laughs ass they may get more people running in.

To hear that Laughs got a A for their FA day is pure bs.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just don't see how people who want the Canucks to rebuild could moan about this deadline. At worse, all these contacts have created depth that can be traded for more draft picks at a future deadline. At best we go on an improbable run make the playoffs and win the cup. Either way these short contract signings allow the prospects to developed a bit before they are thrown into the fray. Only haters or staff from SN Toronto would find fault with these signings because they won't allow the Canucks to lose enough to be considered a "successful" season. Mind you for the last decade prior to last season, success for the Leaves and Coilers is planning to have the worse record possible even before the season starts.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Neither Toronto nor Edmonton would be on this sudden reemergence had they not drafted McJesus and Matthews yet somehow their GMs are in the genius mode.
Not sure who "tank nation" is but I've never seen anyone blame Benning for losing the lottery.
Mondi and a couple others have said Leaves/Oil are smarter than Nucks based on their sudden turnaround.

If Canucks had won say the Matthews lottery, no doubt they would be golden in the eyes of said folk.
I think most would agree that, had we somehow nabbed McDavid or Matthews, the rebuild would be quite a bit further on. That isn't to say it would be completed, just a large piece of the puzzle obtained. But both of the teams to whom you refer do have more talented youth that are either knocking at the door to the NHL or have already stepped through the door and onto the ice. That isn't to say that our stable of youth couldn't turn out to be as good eventually, just that it needs substantially more time to develop to see what the outcome will be.

[Edit - Before I get accused of being an OIler's style rebuild proponent, let me be clear. I am not. Neither do I think Benning is to blame for the lottery losses. Even now, knowing that we have lost the lotto, I'd rather have the 5th pick than have the 14th.]
Cherry Picker wrote:Just don't see how people who want the Canucks to rebuild could moan about this deadline.

Yeah, but I don't think O'Neil speaks for very many Canucks fans, if any. On this site at least, the only comments I can recall reading range from qualified approval to all-out adoration.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RD has selective reading.

Doc has selective posting.

I can't spell.

Blob is a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit negative on our beloved GM.

But we all fracking hate Toronto SN.

To come off pretending not to be biased really pisses me off. I may be a jackass but every time I hear them having financial troubles I love it. Maybe if they stopped sticking their heads up the Jays and Laughs ass they may get more people running in.

To hear that Laughs got a A for their FA day is pure bs.
Your not a jackass at all and your not the only one that's frustrated. Sportsnet has become absolutely pathetic and we certainly haven't received any reductions in our provider costs, far from it.
The two big Alberta markets don't get as much "nose in the air" attitude as we do but they can't be happy about their regional studio being shut down either.
Hey, I'm not saying that Don Taylor & Garry Valk were a great show but this is ridiculous.
They have cut costs to the point of insanity.
How much can it cost to have a dinky little regional studio? That's all it was anyways, I know, I was in there once.
I understand running re-runs all night, I guess, however there are some entertaining programs they could be running at night but W/E.
During the day we have to watch their Toronto based talk shows which mean nothing to most of us.
The only reason they still technically call the two stations I'm referring to-(sportsnet pacific & sportsnet west), is to broadcast the local team's games. Not good enough!!!!!
"evolution"