The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by lostinarink »

Mëds wrote:How do you say, "Pushover", in Swedish?

Canuck.

This guy better be the next Peter Forsberg.
Would you settle for a Markus Naslund?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: This guy better be the next Peter Forsberg.
You mean the 5'10", 161 lbs (measured) 18-year-old Peter Forsberg?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds hates rutabagas...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:With a couple of 2nds tomorrow let's see what Benning does. Feeling underwhelmed. God damn hockey gawd.
We are in a great position tomorrow. 3 picks relatively quickly at 33, 55 and 64.

Benning saying they are leaning towards a forward at 33 so my guess is Jaret Anderson Dolan. He also says they didn't have a deal to trade back as the player they wanted, guessing Makar, was already gone.

Lots of rumours and talk going around so hard to know who to believe at this time of year.
Ya, I'm hearing if Makar was still there at 5 they had a deal with Vegas to trade back and pick up a 2nd. Not Vegas's 2nd though but don't know which one. When Makar was gone Vegas reassessed and decided they would get a player on their list at 6 so they pulled the trade. Not much Benning could do with that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:With a couple of 2nds tomorrow let's see what Benning does. Feeling underwhelmed. God damn hockey gawd.
We are in a great position tomorrow. 3 picks relatively quickly at 33, 55 and 64.

Benning saying they are leaning towards a forward at 33 so my guess is Jaret Anderson Dolan. He also says they didn't have a deal to trade back as the player they wanted, guessing Makar, was already gone.

Lots of rumours and talk going around so hard to know who to believe at this time of year.
Ya, I'm hearing if Makar was still there at 5 they had a deal with Vegas to trade back and pick up a 2nd. Not Vegas's 2nd though but don't know which one. When Makar was gone Vegas reassessed and decided they would get a player on their list at 6 so they pulled the trade. Not much Benning could do with that.
Makes sense, would have been nice but not much you can do.

I'm fine with the pick of Pettersson, can't say I know much about him other than a bunch of highlights but the analysts like him. I've proven not a Benning fan overall but like most of his drafting so will give him the benefit of the doubt and be patient with this pick.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Ya, I'm hearing if Makar was still there at 5 they had a deal with Vegas to trade back and pick up a 2nd. Not Vegas's 2nd though but don't know which one. When Makar was gone Vegas reassessed and decided they would get a player on their list at 6 so they pulled the trade. Not much Benning could do with that.
I think dozens of these conditional trades are in place every draft day (few happen though).

The hope may have been that Dallas would trade the 3rd O/A to a team that would take a centre.

This would leave one of the big 2 dmen still available and Van/Vegas then pull the trigger?

Perhaps Skyo was right about Benning building up the dee that he didn't actually want.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: Ya, I'm hearing if Makar was still there at 5 they had a deal with Vegas to trade back and pick up a 2nd. Not Vegas's 2nd though but don't know which one. When Makar was gone Vegas reassessed and decided they would get a player on their list at 6 so they pulled the trade. Not much Benning could do with that.
I think dozens of these conditional trades are in place every draft day (few happen though).

The hope may have been that Dallas would trade the 3rd O/A to a team that would take a centre.

This would leave one of the big 2 dmen still available and Van/Vegas then pull the trigger?

Perhaps Skyo was right about Benning building up the dee that he didn't actually want.
I'm fine with D or F this draft, both are needed badly so can't go wrong with either. Lots of picks tomorrow so will add a few more prospects.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Strangelove wrote:
Ronning's Ghost wrote: It also speaks to a great deal of patience (or in Benning's case, confidence in his job security), since it's hard to see how this kid could be ready for the NHL in less than two years. Might seem like a great pick in 2020, but doesn't really work with Doc's timeline.
Pettersson and Dahlen will join your Vacouver Canucks 1-2 years from now. :mex:
You mean that Pettersson will be on the Canucks roster for the 2018-2019 season ?

Without an aggressive supplementation program, that's asking him to put on an awful lot of muscle in just 15 months. Even with an aggressive supplementation program, he'd have to spend as much time in the gym as on the ice, and trying to bulk up that fast has messed with some players' games before.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

In 1 to 2 years Pettersson will be traded to Boston for one of their future disappointing prospects, likely named Kam Nealee.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I was under the impression that Cherry Picker was a quality poster with loads of good things to say?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning proves to us all again today why he is constantly viewed upon as a genius
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Will we be able to draft a Ryan Clowe or a Ryan Stanton or a Jamie McGinn in the 2nd round?
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

RoyalDude wrote:Benning proves to us all again today why he is constantly viewed upon as a genius
Ahh I see, so really it really wouldnt have mattered what Elmer did, he would be a genious regardless, right?
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Benning proves to us all again today why he is constantly viewed upon as a genius
He's viewed as a simpleton throughout the league. Friedman was smirking interviewing him while Benning looks like he just downed a bottle of vodka. Reverend Jim is not viewed as any sort of genius outside of this Orwellian board. He is viewed as a klown
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
He's viewed as a simpleton throughout the league. Friedman was smirking interviewing him while Benning looks like he just downed a bottle of vodka. Reverend Jim is not viewed as any sort of genius outside of this Orwellian board. He is viewed as a klown
I don't know if that's true... a shame if it is. One thing i believe to be true though, remember how Burke orchestrated the Sedin draft selections? I'm convinced that would NEVER have happened on Benning's watch; he just doesn't seem to have the savvy to maneuvre like that. Daring to have a complex vision is one thing, putting it all together is another. Regardless, a strength he has shown is making draft selections in later rounds; so .... come on Jim, do some magic and make some awesome selectionstomorrow! None of us relishes the thought of floundering for too much longer in the basement of the league.
cc oldtimer