The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I actually think it can get a bit worse next year and hopefully the Canucks are rewarded with Svechnikov or Dahlin.
Thanks to the Oilers shitty team - the ENTIRE lotto system was changed....add that to the Canucks horrendous luck and well we ain't getting those guys.

IsWhatItIs

Team just has to do what you/IN keep preaching, acquire more draft picks to hopefully snag a steal or two, ala Kopitar 11oa, Krejci 2nd rd, Datsyuk 6th rd, PK Subban 2nd rd, Karlsson 15th oa, D.Keith 2nd rd, Benn 5th rd all later picks.

All players who dropped in the draft and snuck by the hundreds of professional scouts for one reason or another, with the usual traits, too slow, weak skater, too small etc.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: The mandate may be about transitioning away from the twins, developing the future core, and with Hansen and Burrows gone more spots have opened up, but I don't see him as a patient guy at all.
That would be a real shame, since patience is kinda crucial. Just ask the Flamers who wanted to fire Gulutzan after a month.

Their patience was rewarded with Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan and Tkachuk being close to PPG players from December on.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: The mandate may be about transitioning away from the twins, developing the future core, and with Hansen and Burrows gone more spots have opened up, but I don't see him as a patient guy at all.
That would be a real shame, since patience is kinda crucial. Just ask the Flamers who wanted to fire Gulutzan after a month.

Their patience was rewarded with Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan and Tkachuk being close to PPG players from December on.
Good point ESQ.

(although Tkachuk and Hamilton were more like .7 per game during that hot stretch)

(and they all died in the playoffs... except Monahan of course)

But yes, patience is key...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lot's of Vilardi going 3rd overall, why it's imperative the Canucks need to move up to at least #3.

There's a time to be patient and just handle what the draft gods give to you on your lap, sit back and chill and don't do nothing, and then there's a time to be aggressive, this is one of those times to be aggressive.

2014: I wanted to move up to grab Ekblad or Reinhart.
I think the team also wanted to get Bennett, but calgary took him, so after MDC canucks took hitter/scorer Virtanen, still a work in progress.

2015: meh, but Boeser looking like a benning steal.

2016: heartbreaker to lose that draft lotto, from Laine or Puljujarvi to Dubois or Tkachuk (I knew flames Burke was gonna take Tkachuk). I thought for sure we'd "settle" for MT, but JB took the dman, good call in the end I believe, our defense is still looking weak depth wise and Juolevi is our only real blue-chip prospect LD who has good potential.

2017:another draft lotto loss, The oilers rule making it not worth real tanking anymore, I'm strongly advocating trading to move to #3, we could really use a Vilardi in our prospect depth, between he and Gaudette one/both of them should ease the pain of losing the Sedins to retirement.

That or trade down within the top 10 and acquire another 2nd rounder, as in the top 10 we could still land NECAS or Pettersson (beanpole tho)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What' will the Nucks do. It's looking like we will have a choice between Mittlestadt or Glass or Makar or Liljegren. Tanev goes if we draft one of the D-men. If Tanev stays we draft one of the centres.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:What' will the Nucks do. It's looking like we will have a choice between Mittlestadt or Glass or Makar or Liljegren. Tanev goes if we draft one of the D-men. If Tanev stays we draft one of the centres.
Lol moving Tanev has fuck all to do with drafting a d man or not.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:What' will the Nucks do. It's looking like we will have a choice between Mittlestadt or Glass or Makar or Liljegren. Tanev goes if we draft one of the D-men. If Tanev stays we draft one of the centres.
Lol moving Tanev has fuck all to do with drafting a d man or not.
We'll see, Pickton neighbour
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What exactly will we see ?

Tanev is in the prime of his career and is 27. If they trade him an 18 year old is going to jump in and fill the void on the top pairing ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tanev is in the prime of his career and is 27. If they trade him an 18 year old is going to jump in and fill the void on the top pairing ?
I do believe the Dude said if Brains Benning decides a dman is the BPA at #5

... they will be more likely to trade Tanev.

Makes sense to me.

But perhaps you're more focused on competing in the here+now?

You're not going to shit yourself if we trade a top-pairing dee away... are ya big guy? :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote:
Good point ESQ.

(although Tkachuk and Hamilton were more like .7 per game during that hot stretch)

(and they all died in the playoffs... except Monahan of course)

But yes, patience is key...
Yeah, looking back on game logs, all the top producers on the Flamers died in the last couple weeks of the season, maybe took the foot off the gas too early. That also pushed down the PPG average, as you point out.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tanev is in the prime of his career and is 27. If they trade him an 18 year old is going to jump in and fill the void on the top pairing ?
I do believe the Dude said if Brains Benning decides a dman is the BPA at #5

... they will be more likely to trade Tanev.

Makes sense to me.

But perhaps you're more focused on competing in the here+now?

You're not going to shit yourself if we trade a top-pairing dee away... are ya big guy? :look:
Either way it's doubtful the trade or non trade of Tanev would or should impact who they draft at 5. Just take the bpa and keep moving and try not to shit the bed like they did at the 2014 draft.

I have no qualms with trading Tanev as long as Elmer doesn't get skullfucked again.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Either way it's doubtful the trade or non trade of Tanev would or should impact who they draft at 5.
You've got it backasswards.

Dude said who they draft at 5 might impact the trading of Tanev.

Point of order: Brains Benning is the skullfucker, not the skullfuckee.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Either way it's doubtful the trade or non trade of Tanev would or should impact who they draft at 5.

And one should have nothing to do with the other if the management team is competent........ in which case you may have a point.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

And one should have nothing to do with the other
Wrong.

No doubt they have potential deals on the table for Tanev.

If a dman is considered the BPA at #5, they are more likely to pull the trigger on a Tanev deal.

Unlike you, they see the big picture. 凸( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Guess no one told you there's a rebuild goin on...
____
Try to focus on someday.