Expansion draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Expansion draft

Post by Mickey107 »

There are a lot of Vegas mock expansion draft selections sites now. Many points of view. Not even sure if they all know the rules but I am seeing Sbisa a lot. Even with the surgery, seeing Granlund. Even seeing Gudbranson ?
What I am not seeing is Biega which actually surprises me.
IMO, he could play 3rd pairing on at least 8 to 10 teams. At 750k for another year, just wondering why no one thinks they would consider him.
Still way early and I suppose any one can throw up a mock selection site.
Interesting though...
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pretty sure Granlund and Gudbranson will be protected.

I know I'm in the minority on this one... but I don't want to lose young Gaunce.

I can see him developing into a solid 3rd line centre eventually.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote:Pretty sure Granlund and Gudbranson will be protected.

I know I'm in the minority on this one... but I don't want to lose young Gaunce.

If you don't want to lose cheap, young and improving Gaunce there's a certain 3rd line centre / winger who gets forcefed icetime , is extremely soft and razor thin , overpaid but has a famous last name that could easily be made available. I wonder if Vegas would have any interest in him? :eh:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

If you don't want to lose cheap, young and improving Gaunce there's a certain 3rd line centre / winger who gets forcefed icetime , is extremely soft and razor thin , overpaid but has a famous last name that could easily be made available. I wonder if Vegas would have any interest in him? :eh:
:D

I'd rather lose Gaunce!

But maybe we can get Eriksson to waive?

Vegas won't take Loui, he's due a $7M signing bonus in July.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think Gaunce played himself into safety last year. :D
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'd love to protect Gaunce but just don't see how really. I highly doubt we expose Sutter. As Doc suggests if we could expose Louie that would do the trick. Other than that I'm not sure who else we would be willing to expose.

This also makes trading a D tricky. We know if we don't trade one we have to expose one we don't really want to lose. But if we are trying to trade a D for top six we need to have room to protect said player which means exposing another forward. But if we are trading a D for picks/prospects we will be alright.
The only HW the Canucks need
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Is that an indicator on how bad this team to talk about protecting a 23 year old with a total 6 points in 77 NHL games?

Yes I know he is only 23 but regardless he is not a top 6 player unless he blossoms this year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote:Is that an indicator on how bad this team to talk about protecting a 23 year old with a total 6 points in 77 NHL games?

Yes I know he is only 23 but regardless he is not a top 6 player unless he blossoms this year.
I think basically, it's hoped by many that Gaunce can elevate his game in regards to points, but maybe even more than that, he could become one of those guys that is just plain nasty and hard to play against. Also that maybe he could become a good PK guy.
This is quite a change for him and how he saw himself when drafted.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Yes I know he is only 23 but regardless he is not a top 6 player unless he blossoms this year.
:shock:

No one is presently talking about Gaunce ever becoming a top-6 forward lol.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Yes I know he is only 23 but regardless he is not a top 6 player unless he blossoms this year.

Why are we even worried about him?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Reefer2 wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Why are we even worried about him?
I don't think anyone is worried about losing him. It's just it would be nice to be able to keep him around another year to see if he progresses with Green. We need bottom six players and he is one. But I doubt anyone will loose sleep if he's taken.

I certainly wouldn't protect him over Baertschi or Granlund or Horvat.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: I don't think anyone is worried about losing him. It's just it would be nice to be able to keep him around another year to see if he progresses with Green. We need bottom six players and he is one. But I doubt anyone will loose sleep if he's taken.

I certainly wouldn't protect him over Baertschi or Granlund or Horvat.
Vegas would be silly to pick him in expansion time. He'll be available on waivers next fall.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Vegas would be silly to pick him in expansion time. He'll be available on waivers next fall.
Well said.

They won't take Biega for the same reason - players of his ilk will be available on the waiver wire next season, and most teams are exposing 7/8 dmen of Biega's calibre.

Sbisa is one of the few top-4 who stand to be exposed (even though he's more of a 5/6 than a 3/4 dman). The only way he doesn't get picked is if Sutter is exposed, imo.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Sbisa is not a top 4 dman on any team.There will be a dozen better options for Vegas to pick from to bolster the back end.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Actually it'll be ok to keep Brandon Sutter, I keep forgetting half the team gets injured every year, so Sutter will be handy to have around.

Where at times we've had the likes of Chaput on our top line.

Megna, Boucher on our 2nd line

Skille, Cramarossa, Shore on our 3rd line

Hell we've even had Biega on our 4th line. :lol:

Jesus christ the team needs all the depth it can get thanks to having zero mass up front, all small fellas.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.