Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote:
micky107 wrote:Indeed; He has sent a lot of mixed messages, especially, this year.
If we are confused at things, what of the players?
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but Willie does talk DIRECTLY to the players, and not to you.. he doesn't have to sort through the hours of fantasy and speculation that you do.

I bet they players know exactly what he wants.
When I see the looks on the faces on the bench, well, one could certainly mistake it as confusion, if it isn't.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Could be more than a few good coaches available after this season, Cooper, Ruff and even the ultimate motivator Sutter...If he's available he'd be awesome to get.

Kings fans want him out including the GM, they want their scout Futa promoted.

Some of their ideas
New center via trade for 70/73 and 2nd PP unit. Can't go with Dowd as your 2nd unit PP pivot.

Sutter, Lombardi out, Futa to GM. New coach from outside of organization.

Brown, Capt of VGN, buy out Gaborik.
Sign winger for Kopitar.
I don't know why but I think if we had just one veteran after Sedins are gone it would be cool to have Brown be it. Eriksson for Brown 10% retention. Yes I know not going to happen.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Fuck Dustin Brown. He is garbage. His contract is worse than Erickson's. At least Erickson has a history of showing he can rebound from a bad season. Brown has been on the decline for the last 4 seasons and is a major reason the Kings are going to miss the playoffs for the second time in three seasons. NHL politics being what they are if Brown ever became a Canuck they would suspend the shit out of him for his dirty play. Raffi Torres was never suspended until he played for the Canucks. Look at the suspensions given to Torres and Aaron Rome in 2010-2011, then look at Brown's play in the 2012 playoffs with his blind side headshots, flying elbows and knee on knee hits with no penalties nor suspensions. Think he'd get the same special treatment here? NFL.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

mr perfect wrote: Brown has been on the decline for the last 4 seasons and is a major reason the Kings are going to miss the playoffs for the second time in three seasons.
Major reason? Nah, they are just aging and are becoming stale.

They are ranked 23rd in goals.
But the Kings’ recent problems go beyond goal scoring. Indeed, whether it’s turnover that gives the opposition an outnumbered attack, a defenseman getting beaten wide, or a blown coverage, the Kings have been somewhat of a mess in all three zones.

“We’re just giving up too much,” said forward Dustin Brown. “This is a team that has been very good defensively but the last few weeks, we haven’t been.”

“I think we just need to tighten up our game,” added Brown. “We’re having a hard time scoring and we have to address that. But if we tighten up our game, there will be more opportunities at the other end.”

One source of their problems is that lately, the forwards and defensemen have not always been in lockstep with each other.

“There’s been a disconnect between what we’re doing up ice and our defensemen,” Brown noted. “When the forwards are doing their job, it makes it easier for the defensemen and the goalies to do their job.”

“Right now, we’re having a breakdown on the forecheck, which gaps out the defensemen and then, you’ve got a guy coming at you with speed,” Brown added. “That’s how it works. Our system works really well when we’ve got everybody on the same page.”
Lots of defensive breakdowns.
in our last game, Vancouver got four or five odd-man rushes, let alone scoring chances. When you see that from our team, we’ve got to dial it back in.
. But right now, we’re making mistakes on the forecheck which kind of flows through the rest of our game.”

After all that, how do they fix what ails them?

“It’s just down to the individual,” said Brown. “Player by player, we’ve got to be better. That’s on everyone. If we’re all better, individually, it all comes together, right? We’re just leaning on each other right now.”

To be sure, the Kings’ offensive woes are as much about a lack of depth up front as it is anything else. Nevertheless, both Brown and Lewis made valid points. Indeed, if the Kings can fix the problems they described, they’ll give up a lot less in their own zone and spend a lot more time in the attacking zone.

But then there’s that whole lack of depth up front thing again…
https://frozenroyalty.net/2017/03/09/offensive-defense/

They got a lot of problems all over that aging team.

All I'm saying is after the Sedins retire, we got a shitload of smaller skilled guys for the 2018/19 season, and this is the best case scenario if Dahlen and Gaudette are ready.

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser
Dahlen - Gaudette - Granlund
Goldobin - Sutter - Virtanen

And who knows who we draft and/or sign this offseason (college/junior UFA's).

Then there is Boucher and Eriksson, in any case that gives the team a lot of options in the next couple years.

Upon further review, Virtanen could be that missing physical player up front in our top 9 who also has skills, so it's good Travis Green are grilling/preparing him to have a strong two-way checking game down pat, as in all likelihood that is how Virtanen will be used till his scoring catches up in the NHL.

JV gets good reviews from the Utica GM lately, he can see his skill level and physical play that got JV drafted so high come around.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

if LA misses the playoffs look squarely on Quick being injured for so long. They are a team built for playoffs and will turn it up a notch if they are in. I don't expect them to go far though.

Just say no to Brown. He is not what we need. Brown of 4-5 years ago fine but not the Brown of today.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I am no fan of Desjardins but what he did for the Boeser family was pretty darn cool. Similar to the way he told Bo he made the team in his rookie season. That shit is team building right there.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I am no fan of Desjardins but what he did for the Boeser family was pretty darn cool. Similar to the way he told Bo he made the team in his rookie season. That shit is team building right there.
Agree. Willie may not be a good coach, but he is a good human.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

He did something for Jake and Jared as well.

Then there is the development of Horvat, Hutton, Trymynapkin. The reclamation of Granlund, Bearchia and Sbisa.

But the twitchy mannerism, hitch in his step and clip board blind all.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Now that the season is over, I would really like to see Benning/Linden axe Willy D an bring in Crow or Ruff. I would love to see the Sedins out of the lineup too, but that's another story.
cc oldtimer
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

nuckster wrote:Now that the season is over, I would really like to see Benning/Linden axe Willy D an bring in Crow or Ruff. I would love to see the Sedins out of the lineup too, but that's another story.
What is important is to at least set the stage.
Don't have to hire a new one immediately but if they are making a change, let the word out right away.
By locker clean-out and player, "end of year chats".
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

lol what was the point in calling up Laplante just to play Larsen at forward ? Twitch yanks Goldobin off the line with the twins when they looked good and replaces him with Shore. Minor league coach. You can't sell this idiot to the fans so fire his ass out of a cannon. I'd say Trevor and Elmer are now on the clock. About fucking time after this three year abortion.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

nuckster wrote:Now that the season is over, I would really like to see Benning/Linden axe Willy D an bring in Crow or Ruff. I would love to see the Sedins out of the lineup too, but that's another story.
Ruff is a burned out drunk and the Crow act gets old real fast, players eventually tune out the cah cah'ing from the Crow
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What's the deal with Twitchy's lip chewing? Classic coke binger
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Desjardins is gone.

Good riddance to bad rubbish
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Desjardins is gone.

Good riddance to bad rubbish
Hopefully, we won't see Megna or Chaput on the Sedins line.