Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Chef Boi RD »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We had better odds than Winnipeg at last years draft. Who ended up with the generational player - Patrick Laine? Is that Bennings fault for losing the lottery?
Come on, Dude. No one has blamed Benning for not winning the lottery and, to my knowledge, that has never been anyone's issue with Benning.

4) overpaying on some contracts and trades; which some have argued is a trend rather than an anomaly.
I'm assuming you mean - Sbisa, Sutter, Dorsett and Eriksson

Sbisa, one more year left on his 3 year - $3.6 million no NTC contract. Devestating

Etiksson is a good player, give the man some time, it's par for the course with him as he is known slow starter when new to his team, plus last summer veteran UFA's - Ladd, Backes, Nielsen all signed similar contracts to Eriksson. It's a standard UFA contract for those types of vets. How is this so devestating. The Canucks are a healthy team cap wise

Sutters $4.6 per contract bad? For a player in the middle of his career, in his 20's?. It's the same contract we took over in Booth and Ballard, yet Sutter is a thousand times better. Not a flake, good in the room, face offs, 20 goal scorer. What is so fucking devestating about this contract? After next season the contract becomes a partial NTC as he would have to give 15 teams he'd have to waive for and will still be in his 20's.

We've gotten good service out of Dorsett despite the devestating injury this season. He'd still young and a good presence in the room, a character guy

Again nothing wrong with those signings, they are not hurting this team unlike the massive hurt Garrisons Gillis contract will give Stevie Y in July while he ups big pay raises to RFAs Palat, Drouin and Johnson. Garrison may be the 3rd Gillis acquisition that gets bought out, terrible legacy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:We had better odds than Winnipeg at last years draft. Who ended up with the generational player - Patrick Laine? Is that Bennings fault for losing the lottery?
Come on, Dude. No one has blamed Benning for not winning the lottery and, to my knowledge, that has never been anyone's issue with Benning.

People have blamed Benning for:

2) not trading away certain players to acquire more draft picks or prospects. That said, I think nearly everyone of both the "Kool-Aid" and "Urine" Crews was satisfied that this trade deadline was, at worst, a success and, at best, a coup;

So this is quite obviously directed at last years deadline regarding Vrbata and Hamhius because Benning obviously satisfied the trade deadline obsessed morons at this years deadline. Vrbata had a disgusting final year with us last season, seriously I am dying to hear what you think we could have gotten for that old man that would have shot this organization over the moon, I'm excited to hear from you the opportunity missed. Regarding Hamhius this can be argued but according to rumours the offers for Hamhius were shite. Benning and Linden back then showed some loyalty to Willie and the Sedins by keeping him around. You do realize that more pending UFA's play out there seasons with their team than getting blasted out at the deadline. There is something very valuable that goes into making trades that idiot fans choose to be in denial about - it's called anwilling dance partner. How many teams did Hamhius waive for? Anybody?

Again - devestating no trades that set this organization back centuries
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote:Again - devestating no trades that set this organization back centuries
Almost ! Three and half posts without referencing the previous management group.

The trouble with citing the impact of no-trade clauses is that one of your favourite examples of a bad Gillis signing, Jason Garrison, had a no-trade clause, and was moved anyway early in Benning's tenure.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Elmer should not have to be adding extra picks to help teams in cap trouble. Bonino and Clendenning for Sutter and 3rd should have been sufficient. McCann and a 4th for Gudbranson is fair. Add in the 2nd pick for Vey and that's three 2nd round picks flushed down the toilet.

Back to Wilbrod after RD once again derailed another thread. Does he get another gig in the show after he gets punted ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BOKNOWS
AHL Prospect

Post by BOKNOWS »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Elmer should not have to be adding extra picks to help teams in cap trouble. Bonino and Clendenning for Sutter and 3rd should have been sufficient. McCann and a 4th for Gudbranson is fair. Add in the 2nd pick for Vey and that's three 2nd round picks flushed down the toilet.

Back to Wilbrod after RD once again derailed another thread. Does he get another gig in the show after he gets punted ?

Hows Granlund & Baercheese dong? :shock: :mrgreen: :shock: :lol:
BOKNOWS
AHL Prospect

Post by BOKNOWS »

:wave:
RoyalDude wrote:
micky107 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/will ... an-miller/

So, with Hansen and Alexandre Burrows traded for youth and picks, is it now safe to say the Canucks are in the midst of a rebuild?

"I think you can use whatever word you want," Linden said. "It maybe hasn't happened as fast as some people have wanted... but I'm really excited about where we're going."
So I guess the retool failed. Trev and JB basically wasted 3 years when they could have blown it up, not sign guys like Verbeta, Eriksson and Millzy and increase our odds in the McJesus and Matthews/Laine sweepstakes.
No

They would have had to trade the Sedins to go full rebuild 3 years ago. Is that too hard to understand?
Hey, Dude, question for you.
I could read back but since your here:

How did you feel when Kesler wanted out?

I was all in for trying to trade the Sedins at that point but I remember the majority of fans in this town didn't seem ready...
I'm not an archivist like Island N. If we were meant to look backwards our eyes would have been put at the back of our heads. I'm a forward looking man but I will tell you this - this city was not reedy to trade the Sedins back then and therein layed the problem for Linden and Benning when they were hired, not to mention the NTC's Gillis handed out like Halloween candy in which gave Kesler the Luxury of only naming one team he'd waive for. That my friend is the Gillis legacy - the Kesler trade. Gillis should just title his Biography - "Shitty contracts filled with impossible NTC's" - see my recent Garrison post and how that Gillis shrewd negotiating is going to royally screw the Lightning in signing 3 key RFA's this summer. BTW - Benning trading that slug Garrison and that ridiculous contract of his is one of Bennings best trades, doesn't get the credit it surely deserves

:wave: :wave:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Again - devestating no trades that set this organization back centuries
Almost ! Three and half posts without referencing the previous management group.

The trouble with citing the impact of no-trade clauses is that one of your favourite examples of a bad Gillis signing, Jason Garrison, had a no-trade clause, and was moved anyway early in Benning's tenure.
So are we just choosing to ignore here that Kesler exercised that right by only waived to one team - Anaheim? Bennings fault?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Elmer should not have to be adding extra picks to help teams in cap trouble. Bonino and Clendenning for Sutter and 3rd should have been sufficient. McCann and a 4th for Gudbranson is fair. Add in the 2nd pick for Vey and that's three 2nd round picks flushed down the toilet.

So a 24 year old Gudbranson for a McCann (who is having a disappointing season (no surprise)), a 2nd and a 4th no good for us? How are those assets doing for Florida? How is McCann's season going? You know there is a very strong possibility that Gudbanson could be the only quality NHL playing asset out of all those 4 assets combined. Sounds like you've written the book on this one, Bubbles.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don't mind Gudbranson but there was no need to throw in an extra 2nd round pick
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I don't mind Gudbranson but there was no need to throw in an extra 2nd round pick
Benning threw it in? He stepped back into the pocket threw a long bomb 2nd round pick kiddie corner across the continent all on his own? The deal could have simply been that bum McCann and and a 4th for McCann? Hmmm, you would be extremely hard pressed to find a GM out there in the hockey world who would take just a 3rd rate prospect and a 4th round pick for a 24 year old Gudbranson (former 4th overall daft pick) Blob, did you write the book on this one to?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I don't mind Gudbranson but there was no need to throw in an extra 2nd round pick
Benning threw it in? He stepped back into the pocket threw a long bomb 2nd round pick kiddie corner across the continent all on his own? The deal could have simply been that bum McCann and and a 4th for McCann? Hmmm, you would be extremely hard pressed to find a GM out there in the hockey world who would take just a 3rd rate prospect and a 4th round pick for a 24 year old Gudbranson (former 4th overall daft pick) Blob, did you write the book on this one to?
Why would Benning choose a 3rd rate prospect in the first round?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Why would Benning choose a 3rd rate prospect in the first round?
So Benning was supposed to look beyond McCanns attitude problems and his lacking the strength to play
up against the stronger NHL players? He took a chance on the kid, realized quickly he was no good and
cut bait when his stock was high. Quite fucking brilliant GM'ing to be honest.

Larsson cost Hall
Griffin Reinhart cost Barzal and Beauvellier
Dougie Hamilton cost a 15th overall pick and two 2nds

Gudbranson cost? Sounds about right
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Larson and Hamilton are far better players than Gudbranson.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Larson and Hamilton are far better players than Gudbranson.
Oh yeah, far better alright. Lol and to think - the Flames and Oilers gave up more for them than we for Gudranson.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Larson and Hamilton are far better players than Gudbranson.
Oh yeah, far better alright. Lol and to think - the Flames and Oilers gave up more for them than we for Gudranson.
I'm with Blob about the coiler dude. So far theres absolutely no comparison with Larsen. He hits like a fuckin tank and is an excellent defensive dman.
They won that trade hands down.
If you need air...call it in