The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: The 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Just ease back the lazy boy Diehard and admire the rebuild that we are in the throes of. It's a sight to behold. We are no longer plagued by the Gillis regime when it comes to drafting for Genius Benning is in da haus!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Just ease back the lazy boy Diehard and admire the rebuild that we are in the throes of. It's a sight to behold. We are no longer plagued by the Gillis regime when it comes to drafting for Genius Benning is in da haus!
Can't really do much else can we? It's likely going to be a long rebuild, so might as well get comfortable.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Diehard1 wrote: Even though the twins have dropped off, once they retire the team will be missing either a first or second line. Nobody in the pipeline to replace them, yet.
Well, let's not forget about the $14M in available cap space once the twins retire as well. Just removing them! Not to mention space created by Miller, Burrows, Hansen, and Sbisa's contracts ending at the same time or at the end of this year.

Not that signing an UFA is going to be the solution but the ability to absorb some salary can be a huge asset in making deals. Should still leave some cap space for complimentary pieces.

While building through youth is key having some extra cap space will prove very useful in the next couple years!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Even though the twins have dropped off, once they retire the team will be missing either a first or second line. Nobody in the pipeline to replace them, yet.
Well, let's not forget about the $14M in available cap space once the twins retire as well. Just removing them! Not to mention space created by Miller, Burrows, Hansen, and Sbisa's contracts ending at the same time or at the end of this year.
and the cap recapture from Luongo retiring at the same time.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote: and the cap recapture from Luongo retiring at the same time.
NO!

Doc told me he's being bought out by FLA.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Topper wrote: and the cap recapture from Luongo retiring at the same time.
NO!

Doc told me he's being bought out by FLA.
LOL you remembered! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't think a Florida buy out gets Vancouver off the hook for the cap benefit they received while he was here. Cap recapture is not a tradable liability.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Topper wrote:and the cap recapture from Luongo retiring at the same time.
2-3 years from now ? ;)

<Puts on patented Strangelove(TM) glasses>
Not a problem. That's when the Canucks organization starts reaping dividends from putting league-approved good ol' boys in the front office, and the recapture penalty is forgiven.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hey Avalanche, Coyote fans - Patrick 2 goals in his first game back tonight. Vilardi a hat trick tonight, been flying since coming back from His appendectomy hiatus
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I don't think a Florida buy out gets Vancouver off the hook for the cap benefit they received while he was here. Cap recapture is not a tradable liability.
You may be right, unusual case though, my thoughts on the matter are expressed on this page:

http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 24#p257424

Gist: If he gets bought out, who's to say he wouldn't have played out the contract given the chance?

... I'm suggesting there may be zero recapture for Nucks/Cats with a now-extinct-CBO or regular buyout.

(and a buyout in 2018 might be the better way to go for a cap-floor-ish team like Florida)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Should the Avalanche just decline the rest of the season? Bow out now?
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Aaronp18 wrote:

Not that signing an UFA is going to be the solution but the ability to absorb some salary can be a huge asset in making deals. Should still leave some cap space for complimentary pieces.

While building through youth is key having some extra cap space will prove very useful in the next couple years!
Unfortunately cap space doesn't seem to be the boon most think it will be. Most of the big deals signed aren't great value, and will whoever is signed out produce the twins? Maybe, but it's not a sure thing. If you don't get some value you could end up with a team full of garbage contracts.

Will at least make it interesting to see what they do though.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well over half that cap space, in essence, is already gone with having to sign Horvat and another goalie, whether it be Miller or someone else.
Even harder because that's for the coming year, 17/18. Next year will be our most difficult to work around.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote:Well over half that cap space, in essence, is already gone with having to sign Horvat and another goalie, whether it be Miller or someone else.
Even harder because that's for the coming year, 17/18. Next year will be our most difficult to work around.
:?

I don't see any cap problems moving forward...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Winnipeg kid - Cody Glass is it. Should be in our wheelhouse

6'-2" 180 lbs, his coach says he will probably put on 10 to 15 lbs when has matured. Once he gets stronger he will be a force and impossible to take off the puck his Portland coach says

Skates like the wind, excellent skater! And more importantly - Hi hockey IQ. Great 200 ft game

Scored 1 goal and 3 assists last night. 7th overall in scoring in the WHL.

Getterdun