World Juniors 2017

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2017

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:He isnt the best dman on his very crappy WJC team. He is only on the second unit PP...bumped down to make room for a 16 or 17 yr old in a cage. Goalie pulled for the extra attacker and no OJ on the ice for the final 1 and a half minutes.
What the fuck!

Yeah the Canucks should have been drafting the best skater period. They have fuck all depth or high end talent at any position so a winger or a center man would have been fine in the 2016 draft. Right now Tkachuck , Keller, Nylander and Jost look a lot better than Juolevi.
Honestly what I'm seeing is a young Phillip fucking Larsen with a little more defensive awareness. That would be devastating to this franchise.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Well between the Virtanen blunder and Juolevi looking like a Grant Ledyard type of player, that could be the demise of Elmer. Two top six picks and he ends up with a second pairing vanilla d man and a Dale Weise 4th line scrub.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:He isnt the best dman on his very crappy WJC team. He is only on the second unit PP...bumped down to make room for a 16 or 17 yr old in a cage. Goalie pulled for the extra attacker and no OJ on the ice for the final 1 and a half minutes.
What the fuck!

Yeah the Canucks should have been drafting the best skater period. They have fuck all depth or high end talent at any position so a winger or a center man would have been fine in the 2016 draft. Right now Tkachuck , Keller, Nylander and Jost look a lot better than Juolevi.
Honestly what I'm seeing is a young Phillip fucking Larsen with a little more defensive awareness. That would be devastating to this franchise.
I'm not seeing anything that terrible. I'm seeing a smooth-skating, high-IQ minute muncher that is being overwhelmed by the task before him. Looking at a couple goals against he's been on for, they've had nothing to do with him. On the second Czech goal his partner threw it away and the forward lost coverage up high, and on the winning Finnish goal he had his man down low while all kinds of missed assignments were happening elsewhere.

He's not going to be a dynamic point-producing D-man, and so we can debate the merits of taking that kind of player at 5. He's more Chris Tanev/Adam Larsson than Erik Karlsson. But from what I've seen at the WJC the Finns are too young and making too many mistakes, and Juolevi isn't contributing to that, he's just not good enough to cover for a whole teams worth of mistakes.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Yeah, nothing like the Finnish teams the last few years.
One might say, they are in a rebuilding stage! :shock:
"evolution"
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

micky107 wrote:Yeah, nothing like the Finnish teams the last few years.
One might say, they are in a rebuilding stage! :shock:
Look for the next 2-3 years
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

:lol: :lol:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
What the fuck!

I'm not seeing anything that terrible. I'm seeing a smooth-skating, high-IQ minute muncher that is being overwhelmed by the task before him. Looking at a couple goals against he's been on for, they've had nothing to do with him. On the second Czech goal his partner threw it away and the forward lost coverage up high, and on the winning Finnish goal he had his man down low while all kinds of missed assignments were happening elsewhere.

He's not going to be a dynamic point-producing D-man, and so we can debate the merits of taking that kind of player at 5. He's more Chris Tanev/Adam Larsson than Erik Karlsson. But from what I've seen at the WJC the Finns are too young and making too many mistakes, and Juolevi isn't contributing to that, he's just not good enough to cover for a whole teams worth of mistakes.
I dont think the Philip Larsen comparison is fair. I just watched him pretty close for 2 games and was looking for something dynamic...and not seeing it.
He really has a nice fluid stride, his breakout passes are intelligent and accurate. I dont see an offensive vision that warrants him on the 1st unit PP unfortunately....and neither do his national team coaches. He would be on the ice defending a one goal lead more likely.
I can see him developing into a complimentary top 4 d-man who would be paired with a higher risk offensive partner. Yay.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Really liking this swedish kid Rasmus Dahlin. Hes got franchise defenseman written all over him.
If i was the canucks I'd be doing whatever it takes to have a top pick or 3 in the 2018 draft
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I like the entire Swedish defence, how they immediately look for a pass to create offense when they get the puck. No circling behind their own goalie, trying to slow things down. Fun game to watch! :)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Is there a more annoying color moron than Craig Button? I can imagine a conversation between him and Benning sounding like 2 rain men
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Watch out for the Danes!

OK,they got thrashed by Sweden 6-1 in their first game, but then they beat the Finns in regulation and now the Czechs in ot! Two HUGE upsets. :shock:

Right now they're in second place in the group.
And did you see the gwg in ot against the Czechs?
Sweeeeeeeet goal from From!
First a deke, then roofs it with a backhand.

http://www.worldjunior2017.com/en/media ... -197445939
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Better for Team Canada to face these wake-up calls when the games don't matter.

Yanks dominating.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

USA owns the ice. Canada cant recover dump ins, cant recover pucks in their own zone down low and are getting their break outs back checked into the ground. A very mediocre defense by Canada tbh.

Am i the only one who reaches for the remote to mute those annoying fucking nike commercials?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Team canada getting bitch slapped by the yanks in their own barn. Can we say now that American hockey is on par with Canada hockey?

I must say, not impressed with Dubios, Bean, Fabbro and Jost at all. Our 4 best from the 2016 class. Barzal and Myers are our only threats really. Strome is a very selfish player, Constantly makes low chance decisions with the puck, a shoot hog, irritating. He's a turnover machine because of it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Can we say now that American hockey is on par with Canada hockey?
lol. Yeah, because the Americans have been doing great in best-on-best lately.

Canada needs this wakeup call. They were buying into their own hype after getting by Russia early, then a couple walkthrough's. Sweden is the class of this tourney and if we don't put it together tonight we'll be seeing them in the semis (if we get that far). I imagine that could be a more embarrassing result than this one.

Seems the US has figured out how to play our juniors. Be aggressive, don't let them set up, make them overthink, and get them off their game with the chirping.