Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Aaronp18 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: So Aaron you see the rebuild on the fly model that Benning is doing now as moving in the right direction based on his turnover towards younger while remaining competitive and building on the whole winning culture thing. The detroit model i guess is the closest comparable. Interesting.
Detroit maybe, but it's different of course. And we've missed the playoffs a couple times realizing it's time to retool this cupboard.

The most unique aspect is the twins, obviously there is no other situation like it in the league. These are two of the classiest and hardest working guys in the NHL. And Benning is definitely using this as a mentorship program, as he should. It will pay off in spades as our younger players will learn exactly what it's going to take to be successful at this level.
Uncle dans leg wrote: I guess we can compare how the leaves fare as they are with us at the bottom and we both started rebuilding almost at the same time...almost.
Yeah, except the leaves have been ass for decades and really should be well ahead of us.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Aaronp18 wrote: Yeah, except the leaves have been ass for decades and really should be well ahead of us.
I think they started the latest teardown after Boston destroyed their souls a couple/few years ago in that 1st round 3rd period implosion
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mëds wrote: But we still lack that game changing player.

I'm not saying aim for the tank, I'm just saying I won't be disappointed if we end up picking in the top-3 this year.
I think we need to wait and see what we really have in Boeser and Juolevi. Horvat could really become that workhorse player who may not score 50 goals but simply plays a 200' game that is integral to success.

We have some pieces as you said, I wouldn't be upset with a top 3 pick either. And if vet injuries pile up again like they did last year we do the same thing and hope for another good pick!

I just hope we don't have that type of injury-riddled season again. Not that I really believe we'll be cup contenders but I want to watch the younger guys develop in time, not being forced into roles they aren't ready for and then getting overwhelmed.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I just want to see what a full healthy roster can do just for once, is that too much to fucking ask?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:I just want to see what a full healthy roster can do just for once, is that too much to fucking ask?
Nope!
And one day, we will talk about why that damn instigator rule. ;)
"evolution"
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

Detroit's been successful through great drafting and development - and so far I'm impressed with Benning's job in that regard even without a ton of picks. I think you ultimately build your team through the draft... either directly or indirectly.

If we keep developing and signing prospects that gives us the flexibility to make moves elsewhere to perhaps acquire a game-changer without tanking. For example, guys like Hall and Subban were traded last offseason - we were apparently interested in Subban, and perhaps with a deeper prospect pool here the story ends differently.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The flamers are giving Tkachuk his 9 games at least.

Source-me
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What the pundits use as a measuring stick are two things:

1) how many vets did you trade and how many assets did you get in return

2) did you stay away from signing FA vets to long term deals.

That's what confuses most who say they are confused about our direction, this rebuild on the fly that Benning prefers to call a transition. The fact that we have not cashed in on trading away players pisses a lot of people off. Then there are the others that don't understand the importance of mentorship.

Great post by the way Aaron.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Aaronp18 wrote:

I'm not saying aim for the tank, I'm just saying I won't be disappointed if we end up picking in the top-3 this year.
I think we need to wait and see what we really have in Boeser and Juolevi. Horvat could really become that workhorse player who may not score 50 goals but simply plays a 200' game that is integral to success.

We have some pieces as you said, I wouldn't be upset with a top 3 pick either. And if vet injuries pile up again like they did last year we do the same thing and hope for another good pick!

I just hope we don't have that type of injury-riddled season again. Not that I really believe we'll be cup contenders but I want to watch the younger guys develop in time, not being forced into roles they aren't ready for and then getting overwhelmed.
If vet injuries pile up again, I want to see Benning actually read the writing on the wall and pull the trigger on guys like Hansen and Burrows for draft pick returns.
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Mëds wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

If vet injuries pile up again, I want to see Benning actually read the writing on the wall and pull the trigger on guys like Hansen and Burrows for draft pick returns.
Sadly, if it happens, they will probably be among the injured.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Aaronp18 wrote: Oh the pundits!

. . .

Hockey "experts" are amazing beings, how someone can think we are currently building for a run is beyond me. We are trying to make the playoffs, which I have no issue with at all. In the meantime our roster turnover has been unreal and we are putting a lot of effort into developing and bringing in some younger talent.

So because we aren't going full tank these guys can't see the forest, or really don't care to look that closely! Tis' why I've always taken the media's opinion with a grain of salt at most.
I like this post. It was a very nice post indeed! :thumbs:

I also don't expect Skille to make the roster. It's certainly possible that he surprises, but I'm not sure why he'd be considered a favourite at this point over both Etem and Virtanen. So that lowers our age for this season by a tick or two.

Additionally, our average age this year is skewed by having four 35+ year old players in Sedin, Sedin, Burr, and Miller. They're huge outliers in a roster that doesn't have anybody else over 31. And that aught to be taken into account when talking about the makeup of the franchise.

We are a younger team than the "27.5217..." implies, IMO.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mëds this team needs more than the Biter and Miller off the books next year.
Bo and Gudbranson could eat up the lion share of that $10.5M in a real hurry if they have even halfway decent seasons.

Gudbranson is our ONLY big, physical, NHL proven, defenseman. He's a legit top-4. If he improves at all in more of a two-way role than he had in Florida $5M is the minimum we are paying him.

Bo had a 40 point sophomore season playing way over his head because of injuries to other players. If Horvat takes another step forward in his development he could easily be staring down 20+ goals and 50 points.

Sean Monahan over in Calgary is another young 2-way center, albeit Monahan has a stronger offensive component to his game, but he also played with Gaudreau and Hudler, was 2nd on the team in PP/TOI, and averaged 48 seconds of PK time per game.....he scored 63 points playing first line and first unit minutes with a pair of scoring wingers. He also saw over 19 minutes of TOI per game.

Bo led Canuck forwards in PK time, by a country mile. He played with developing wingers, and got half the PP time that Monahan saw. His zone starts were far more heavily weighted in the defensive zone, he hit almost twice as much, and blocked more too.

Monahan just finished his ELC and inked over $6M per for 6 years. If Horvat hits 50 points playing with 3rd line calibre wingers, there is no way that Benning can sign him for less than $5M.

Blob is totally right about us having some boat anchors tied to players who are being paid 25% more than they should be.
First off, aren't you one of the whiners who complain about a bleak future?

... and that Benning sucks in every way humanly possible?

Yet now you're suggesting Benning added a young top-pairing dee for a mere suspect-prospect + a 2nd

... that he kept the right young centre who you suggest will deserve the 40th-highest NHL centre cap-hit

... at the ripe old age of 22? :scowl:

If these two players deserve $5M each next summer, you should kiss Lord Benning's ass!

Secondly, you're wrong about how much they'll get next year and I'm willing to bet on that.

(Guds won't get more than Tanev, and Bo will get a bridge contract)

Thirdly, the correct math would be $5M + $5M - $4.394166M = $5.605834M

(Guds cap-hit right now $3.5M + Bo's cap-hit $894,166 = $4.394166M)

Meaning, even if you're right about $5M each, the extra cap-hit would only be $5.605834M (not $10M).

Meaning even if you're right about $5M each, there would be PLENTY of cap-space left over.

Miller $6M + Burrows $4.5M coming off the books, replaced by guys like Demko $.925M + Etem ~$.800M...

LOTS of cap room, plus the cap will definitely be increasing (willing to bet on that as well).

No doubt the Urine Crew will soon be complaining the team isn't spending to the cap. :roll:

For every player getting paid "more than they should be" there are two who are getting less.

(Tanev, Markstrom, Baertchi, Granlund... all Benning re-signings)

(Blob says Sutter/Dorsett are overpaid by a mere $500K each and that only Sbisa is massively overpaid)

(I disagree with Blob, especially about Sutter who was a great re-signing)

Seriously, when you get this bitter about your Cupless team, it's time to cut bait imesho...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Linden Vey cut:

https://twitter.com/HockeyNewsTweet/sta ... 8477766656

Secretly I was hoping he would make it. I find it humurous when fans of Calgary and Toronto slag the Canucks non-stop and then their team proceeds to fill their roster with our castoffs.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

How long til Burkie blinks and drives to the airport to pick up Johnny Hockey
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:How long til Burkie blinks and drives to the airport to pick up Johnny Hockey
Not long. ;)
"evolution"