World Cup 2016

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: World Cup 2016

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote:The Russians are an odd bunch. So much skill, so little team spirit.
A guy like Ovechkin can be coasting around most of the game, not helping out in the defense, and then suddenly he throws in another gear, and can single handedly win a game. It's just odd.

So, with the Russians you never know what you're going to get. If they decide to pitch in for the team, they're a formidable force of nature, and can beat anyone. But almost as often as that you get a bunch of moody stars that each has great skills but doesn't much seem to care about doing the blue collar gritty work that every team needs.

You seldom see that happen for other national teams.

Swedes, Finns, Canadians, even Yanks, always willing put in the hard work.
The Russians? Some times yes, some times no.
Is it some sort of locker room politics or what is it?

The Czechs are a special case. They rely heavily on playing a sort of trap with quick counter attacks. If they get an early lead, they are really hard to beat. If they get an early goal against, you can crush them completely, as they have a really hard time playing when they are forced to try to take charge of the game.
I've often wondered the same things about the Russians.
It would just be a guess on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was something in their early schooling and if you think about it and the ages of them, I can only imagine the mixed messages they got in school in regards to their feelings of nationalism and patriotism.
Add the fact that some feel it isn't appropriate to play in the NHL, (and that would include coaches maybe), and then mix all these feeling together and well, it's just a guess.
Could be as simple as mega egos.. ;)
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Lets go Canada!

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Did Canada beat Russia lately ?

Just wondering ?
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Got to eat some crow. I had said on previous posts that I would never want Marchand on any team I am cheering for. I was dead wrong. He is more than a pest and shitball. Dude can play. Of course, Crosby is walking on water these days. Easily the best player in the world. Wonder what that feels like? Anyhow, picking feathers out of my teeth on this one. Damn the boy can play.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

damonberryman wrote:Got to eat some crow. I had said on previous posts that I would never want Marchand on any team I am cheering for. I was dead wrong. He is more than a pest and shitball. Dude can play. Of course, Crosby is walking on water these days. Easily the best player in the world. Wonder what that feels like? Anyhow, picking feathers out of my teeth on this one. Damn the boy can play.
Yeah, good post! I remember when JB came to Vancouver saying I wish he could bring Marchant with him.
I was with some of my hockey friends at the time and they almost went beaters on me.
Most guys turn into pricks over time. He's doing it the other way around.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

damonberryman wrote:Got to eat some crow. I had said on previous posts that I would never want Marchand on any team I am cheering for. I was dead wrong. He is more than a pest and shitball. Dude can play. Of course, Crosby is walking on water these days. Easily the best player in the world. Wonder what that feels like? Anyhow, picking feathers out of my teeth on this one. Damn the boy can play.
A Swedish hockey writer speculated after watching this game whether Crosby actually may be better than Gretzky and Lemieux. :o

Sure, those guys have scored an incredible amount of goals, but against the crappy goaltending and haphazard defence of that era, and they didn't have to help out defensively the way forwards do today.

He suggested that Sid is a much more well rounded player, who is great at all aspects of the game. And he already, at the age of 29, has won two cups, two Olympic golds and one world championship. Also, he has played 23 straight games for Canada without losing (Canada has only won 14 straight, but Crosby wasn't on the team at the last world championship).
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Wtf... 2-2 in regulation. :shock:

This semifinal will be decided by lottery! :|
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Per wrote:Wtf... 2-2 in regulation. :shock:

This semifinal will be decided by lottery! :|
Or wait... Is it real unlimited overtime in the semifinal?
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

gone in a flash
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

:mad:

If that's not a kicking motion...
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Sweden's worst game of the tournament, and the one that mattered most.
Henrik Lundquist, who seldom makes mistakes, made some big ones here on both the second and third goal by Team Europe. Mind you, on the second goal Strålman should have kept Tatar from being able to get the rebound, but still.

The coaching was the main problem though. They kept the players to a too rigid structure. Not enough improvisation. And, yeah, I know, that structured play is one of Sweden's strengths, but you have to let a player like Karlsson be Karlsson. Sweden had so much talent on the ice, and hardly made any use of it.

We should have won this game in regulation.
Too little offense too late. :evil:

And I maintain - that was definitely a kicking motion! :mad:
That goal would not have stood in the SHL.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote:excuses... excuses...
Shit, Per - you sound like a Canucks fan! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:
Dyed in the wool. :mex:
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Per wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
Dyed in the wool. :mex:
Condolences man. I also thought it was a kicking motion BUT Sweden should never have let it go to overtime. WTF? Team Europe versus Canada? I think Europe's days of surprising people is over. Two straight.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, it's far enough along now that I can honestly say. I didn't get much out of this tournament.
It did not have an Olympic feel to it at all, for me.
I do recognize the money making end of it for the league.
Maybe it's just a problem with me, although I, as usual, find myself looking forward to the new NHL season.
If I had to make a guess why I didn't like it;
The two split teams made it hard for many to root for their country.
I just don't think this time of year works well anymore even though there's no other options for it.
Guess I just liked the every four year, middle of the season, Olympic break better...
"evolution"