2016 Training camp

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2016 Training camp

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 Training camp

Post by SKYO »

‘I’m willing to chew through rope to be here,’ says Canucks PTO invite Jack Skille

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... um=twitter

A player like Skille will be good for the young guys to see how quick your career can go by in the league, plus how hungry and determined players are to EARN a NHL job and keep it.

This holds true to the young folks who haven't quite made it yet in Brendan Gaunce, I'd put Virtanen in this not-yet-made-it full time, Pedan, Cassels, Rodin, Larson, Stecher, Subban, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Etem, Carcone.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

How bad do these vets want to play in North America?

In a perfect world, one or two of these PTO's will sign with Vancouver and start the year in Utica. It'd be ideal to have more of a veteran presence in Utica, particularly up front.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote:‘I’m willing to chew through rope to be here,’ says Canucks PTO invite Jack Skille

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nh ... um=twitter

A player like Skille will be good for the young guys to see how quick your career can go by in the league, plus how hungry and determined players are to EARN a NHL job and keep it.

This holds true to the young folks who haven't quite made it yet in Brendan Gaunce, I'd put Virtanen in this not-yet-made-it full time, Pedan, Cassels, Rodin, Larson, Stecher, Subban, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Etem, Carcone.
This year, in particular, how many scouts does a team need, right now?
Eyes need to be everywhere. :idea:
"evolution"
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Pedan on the NHL:

“I’m really excited for this year and I know anything can happen if you play solid. I came to North America because I like this type of hockey. I don’t like the big rinks. It’s slow and you can take a nap between shifts. I like when it’s intense and the boys are going at it. Some (Russian) guys get some injuries and want to take it easy on their bodies and go back there (KHL) and make some money.

“I’m ready to make the NHL.”

I love this guys attitude!
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Kuzma tweet on Tryamkin, Sept 20:
Been skating here for weeks. Looks fitter, faster. Slotted as No.7. English still a challenge.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

That would make Pedan #8 if you believe Benning when he says Sbisa is top four and Larson is slotted to 5-6 and on the PP.

Tanev-Edler
Gudbranson- Hutton
Larson-Sbisa

With Trymakin and Pedan the 7-8 guys.

Been a long time, if ever, since we've had a balance on the L/R sides. Maybe Sbisa will be better if he doesn't have to play the off side.

Stecher first injury call up, maybe Biega if he clears waivers.

I wish they could move Sbisa. Free some cap, open a spot on D. Of course we do need vets to expose in the expansion draft :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I have "higher" hopes for Tryamkin. :)
"evolution"
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Tryamkin is still very intriguing to me and I was most excited about him over our other prospects only a couple of years ago. Now that I have seen him play I realize I may have over hyped him in my mind a little ... but still ... so much upside there.

I hope he has a better handle on the language, and can start to fit in with the team more and get some chemistry going. Looked a little under the headlights last year, and rightfully so. He will be one to watch this year.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think as time goes on, we could see Tryamkin and Pedan form a Russian Twin Towers 3rd pairing, ain't nobody fucking with em.

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Tryamkin - Pedan
Andrey Pedan:
He’s 6-foot-5 defenceman. He just put up 20 points in 42 AHL games in a top pairing shutdown role, and he did it without power-play time.
Andrey Pedan made a significant impression in his first two games with the Canucks as a defenceman. The physical side of his game wasn’t surprising, but his poise with the puck definitely was.
He has shown remarkable mobility and touch. It’s enough to make you wonder what other tools he has in his toolbox.
& remember superskills?
It was surprising to even see Pedan in the fastest skater competition: 6’5”, 213 lb physical defensive defencemen generally aren’t known for their wheels. To see him post the fastest time, beating defending champion Jannik Hansen by over 3/10ths of a second was shocking.
Both having cannon shots, Pedan being the more offensive type, I think they'd be a helluva d-pairing, especially as Pedan speaks Russian to help Tryamkin on the ice and on the bench.
Halfway through the interview in his stall in the Vancouver Canucks locker room, Andrey Pedan is interrupted by a tap on the shoulder from Nikita Tryamkin. There seems to be some confusion about workout gear.

Tryamkin is supposed to pack for an upcoming road trip, but there's a communication gap between the newest Canucks player and the team’s training staff. So Pedan excuses himself, settles the issue and apologizes for the interruption.

Such is life for Pedan these days. He’s a full time National Hockey League prospect, part-time translator and security blanket for his new teammate. Whatever it takes to stay and play at this level, Pedan is willing to do his part. He wants Tryamkin to feel as comfortable as possible in his new surroundings, but Pedan, too, wants to feel right at home here. This is where he wants to be next season -- and for years to come -- and he’s hoping this late season audition gives Canucks management a true indication of his readiness to play in the NHL.

Through three games on this current recall from Utica, the Lithuanian-born, Russian-raised Pedan hasn’t looked out of place as a member of the Canucks third defensive pairing. At 6’5”, he’s not as large as Tryamkin – few are – but Pedan certainly has the size to be an imposing force on the blueline. He can’t allow himself to get drawn out of position looking for big hits, but whenever an opportunity to finish a check presents itself, he has to make opponents pay a price.http://canucksarmy.com/2016/3/21/how-an ... me-nhl-job
If you want to win and finally have some size in our depth pairing, I can't imagine a better scenario as Tryamkin and Pedan together destroying every team in their path.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm hoping all the journeyman reclamation projects we've signed to PTO's make the team instead of any of our drafted prospects. Willie would be in heaven!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

SKYO wrote: Tryamkin - Pedan
This is likely the most interesting thing for me this coming season. I'm seriously hoping that these guys are the real deal and FINALLY make the Canucks a tough team to play against.

Just gotta love the pre-season dreams. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

As much as I'm excited about both giants separately, I don't see them making an ideal pair at any point.

Neither is known for puck movement or quick breakouts, and having at least one d with that type of skillset is absolutely necessary.

For example, advanced stat guys shit on Gudbranson, but he was totally fine in terms of possession stats whenever paired with a puck mover like Campbell. When paired with partners that have similar limitations, like Mitchell, his numbers were absolutely terrible. You need one guy who is capable of making controlled zone exists against an aggressive forecheck. It's not optional. Not anymore.

In my mind, Tryamkin, Pedan, and (hopefully) Sbisa -- all left shots, and all d-zone first guys -- are competing for the same spot on that third pairing. Meanwhile, Larsen, Stecher, and (hopefully not) Biega -- all right shots, and all puck movers -- are competing for the other spot.

Having a "twin towers" pairing sounds great in theory. But it simply doesn't apply to today's game. It would be a recipe for a badly tilted ice surface.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lloyd Braun wrote:As much as I'm excited about both giants separately, I don't see them making an ideal pair at any point.

Neither is known for puck movement or quick breakouts, and having at least one d with that type of skillset is absolutely necessary.

For example, advanced stat guys shit on Gudbranson, but he was totally fine in terms of possession stats whenever paired with a puck mover like Campbell. When paired with partners that have similar limitations, like Mitchell, his numbers were absolutely terrible. You need one guy who is capable of making controlled zone exists against an aggressive forecheck. It's not optional. Not anymore.

In my mind, Tryamkin, Pedan, and (hopefully) Sbisa -- all left shots, and all d-zone first guys -- are competing for the same spot on that third pairing. Meanwhile, Larsen, Stecher, and (hopefully not) Biega -- all right shots, and all puck movers -- are competing for the other spot.

Having a "twin towers" pairing sounds great in theory. But it simply doesn't apply to today's game. It would be a recipe for a badly tilted ice surface.
There may be some truth in what you say, but, they are young!
Both can still bring,(add), more elements to their game and should.
Skyo pointed out the speed of Pedan and one could probably say he hasn't used that too much offensively yet.
All round defensemen with both PP skills and PK skills, throw in rushing, pinching, etc., can take a while before one can say, "What you see is what you get".
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm hoping all the journeyman reclamation projects we've signed to PTO's make the team instead of any of our drafted prospects. Willie would be in heaven!
I'm taking that as a joke, like in sarcasm, right? ;)
"evolution"