The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Oh no, here he comes, like clockwork - Blobbys Wingman.
And there he goes, dodging questions and de-railing threads.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tanev - The UVIC Profs' Legacy. Blobby Itchy and IN Scratchy will make sure you damn well never forget that.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tanev - The UVIC Profs' Legacy. Blobby Itchy and IN Scratchy will make sure you damn well never forget that.
I'd say his legacy is icing the best team this franchise has ever had. But no worries, Benning is a genius and we will soon be transitioning to a better team in the next 2-3 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: But no worries, Benning is a genius and we will soon be transitioning to a better team in the next 2-3 years.
A "better team" as in... an eventual "Stanley Cup Champion"?

AGREED

(although that Cup might not come for 3-5 years)

Not "soon be transitioning".

Rather: "is transitioning".

So sad you're missing all the fun there.... Wingman. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

More like his ovaries...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Alex Edler that steamrolled Doughty in the 2010 playoffs could've been a beast. Injuries have taken their toll.

Why are we comparing drafted players to free agent signings? If Stecher turns into a Tanev-level player it would be fantastic. He could very-well be Evan Oberg.
I was just pointing out to the board fist puppet that Tanev was a better player than Edler. He's far better and his beloved TSN ranking system had Marek Zidlicky ahead of John Carlson so it's a bunk pile of shit just like 99% of the drivel he's been posting.

I like Edler myself and think he's a decent player. That said he has been a fire fire when he doesn't have a Tanev or a Salo to hold his hand in the defensive zone.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:The Alex Edler that steamrolled Doughty in the 2010 playoffs could've been a beast. Injuries have taken their toll.

Why are we comparing drafted players to free agent signings? If Stecher turns into a Tanev-level player it would be fantastic. He could very-well be Evan Oberg.
I was just pointing out to the board fist puppet that Tanev was a better player than Edler. He's far better and his beloved TSN ranking system had Marek Zidlicky ahead of John Carlson so it's a bunk pile of shit just like 99% of the drivel he's been posting.

I like Edler myself and think he's a decent player. That said he has been a fire fire when he doesn't have a Tanev or a Salo to hold his hand in the defensive zone.
What a load of choad that is...you have EXgmmg so far up your bowels you canna see the shit through shinola...Edler is a way better defenceman than Tanev and is matched up against his fellow #1s on the opposing teams all the time. Tanev has played protected minutes in comparison. He is 4 years younger and has not seen the battles Edler has.
Edler is an All Star, an Olympian and a World Champion not to mention other acclaims.

Ask any true hockey pundit and those with even a little bit of hockey IQ and they will tell you Edlers work horsemanship over Tanevs safe but dependable play is the backbone of a #1 D.

Just ask current awesome GMMG who his #1 is D is and is paid like it..... :mrgreen:

Chris is a pretty decent #2 though...

Try again Vagina McMonologue.... :P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol Edler is matched up against his fellow #1s on the other team. Yes , Desjardins has him out against Doughty or Keith every opportunity he gets.

Edler and Tanev play on the same pairing against other teams top lines. Edlers play two years ago was garbage on the second pairing . Once he was teamed up with Tanev his play improved tremendously. Tanev is the anchor. Stick to ball hockey because the NHL clearly isn't your thing. It's getting old emabrassing your sorry ass on the boards. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Arachnid wrote: Just ask current awesome GMMG who his #1 is D is and is paid like it..... :mrgreen:
Ask Who? Even a poster with a shred of hockey IQ and knowledge of your Vancouver Canucks would know that GM Mike Gillis was relieved of his duties in April of 2014.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Edler and Tanev play on the same pairing against other teams top lines. Edlers play two years ago was garbage on the second pairing . Once he was teamed up with Tanev his play improved tremendously. Tanev is the anchor. Stick to ball hockey because the NHL clearly isn't your thing. It's getting old emabrassing your sorry ass on the boards
For me, that's a problem...

Just as the talk is that the team needs to improve to the point where the twins are its second line, I think the team needs to improve to the where Edler/Tanev are its second pairing...

Take care...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
I'd say his legacy is icing the best team this franchise has ever had. But no worries, Benning is a genius and we will soon be transitioning to a better team in the next 2-3 years.
Ahhhh yeah, Gillis did an amazing team putting that core group together, without his shrewd transacting we would never have had the Sedins, Luongo, Schneider, Burrows, Salo, Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen.....the key players who led the charge.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Just ask current awesome GMMG who his #1 is D is and is paid like it..... :mrgreen:
Ask Who? Even a poster with a shred of hockey IQ and knowledge of your Vancouver Canucks would know that GM Mike Gillis was relieved of his duties in April of 2014.
And what an amazing situation he left for the next GM, so many good young players like the good young players he inherited in 2008. Thanks to his impeccable drafting and trading
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rikster wrote:
Edler and Tanev play on the same pairing against other teams top lines. Edlers play two years ago was garbage on the second pairing . Once he was teamed up with Tanev his play improved tremendously. Tanev is the anchor. Stick to ball hockey because the NHL clearly isn't your thing. It's getting old emabrassing your sorry ass on the boards
For me, that's a problem...

Just as the talk is that the team needs to improve to the point where the twins are its second line, I think the team needs to improve to the where Edler/Tanev are its second pairing...

Take care...
I agree Rikster. I think Tanev and Edler are both decent # 2 guys who can play on a top pairing. It's highly unlikely that the Canucks can get two top pairing guys in trades but if they got one to play with Tanev and have a solid guy to hold Edlers hand on the second pairing it would be a good group.

Arachnid ( or is it Doc? ) is clearly trolling. Might be time to make my own list.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

So much player bashing!
How about, like I've tried to point out before, bash the damn coach some too!
Has no system, plays favorites, (VEY), that's BS, as if that little Pr--k deserved powerplay time,
Should sit a guy like Sbisa for not trying and not punish young guys for making a bad pass or missing an assignment with taking away their ice time. That's Midget league tactics.
I could go on for a page and ya, ya ,ya, heard the crap about "didn't have the horses so we can't judge him"
B.S., why not?
Will he change when he has the steeds? I freakin doubt it.
Little man will still put his head down, chew his cud and shake his head continuously :bang:
"evolution"
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Ahhhh yeah, Gillis did an amazing team putting that core group together, without his shrewd transacting we would never have had the Sedins, Luongo, Schneider, Burrows, Salo, Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen.....the key players who led the charge.
Ummmm..didn't he sign all those players to cap friendly deals which allowed him to bring in key role players like Malhotra, Higgins, Torres, Lappy, Sammi, as well a key to the defence in The Hoff? If I'm not mistaken all of those players played a key role in the 2011 run.

This team for so many years has been labeled a 1 line team. Gillis was the only GM in Canucks history to be able to construct a solid bottom 6 without sacrificing his top 6.

Perhaps your still stuck in those Burke and Nonis glory days when they were chasing the likes of Carney, Weinrich, Weaver, Isbister, Cowan, Bullis, Chounard, Fitzpatrick and Pyatt, to compliment the players you mentioned above plus the WCE.

His trades towards the end didn't quite work out, and yes his drafting was shit, but it's hard to always draft good players when your team is constantly picking in the high 20's year after year after year.