The Great Jim Benning Debate! (And personal insult thread)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Kowch
CC Veteran

Re: The Great Jim Benning Debate!

Post by Kowch »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Miller, Sbisa , Dorsett and Sutter weren't signed to their hideous deals and instead replaced by minimum wage guys , the team would have a shitpile of cash to bring in three high end ufa instead of one.Its not like the aforementioned four players are any better than 600 k a year scrubs.
Based on what metrics?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Why do I have the feeling Ive said this before? Lucic, Ladd/Eriksson/Okposo and Demers/Goligoski could have really sped up the rebuildp
Assuming any of them would be interested in playing in Vancouver. That's a pretty big assumption. Even a hometown prospect , who had been involved with their development camp and grew up a Canucks fan, took a lot of convincing and in the end almost didn't end up signing here.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I like this part. Kid has tons of character:

His best line this week after signing was when he essentially said that if he were a Canucks fan he’d be jacked about the progress of his North Dakota teammate Brock Boeser.

He wasn’t talking about how many goals Boeser scored, which was pretty remarkable. Instead, he was speaking to how Boeser handles himself off the ice.

Thing is, Stecher is much like Boeser, the Canucks’ 2015 first-round pick. They are both dedicated, clean-living kids who, if they can make it, have the character to fit right into an organization currently led by two of the classiest players in the league, the Sedin twins.

For an example, Stecher is passing on an opportunity to play in Utica this season, something Ben Hutton did at the end of last year on an amateur tryout deal which didn’t impact his contract situation.

Stecher is staying in school in part because he doesn’t want to lower his grades, which would negatively impact North Dakota’s score in the NCAA’s academic progress rate program.

Low APR scores can result in NCAA penalties such as scholarship reductions and postseason bans.

“I never want a situation where something I did leads the coach to tell someone ‘Sorry, you can’t be a part of this’ because there was a cut,” Stecher said. “You need to leave the program in good standing if you leave early. I didn’t want to jeopardize the programs.”

It does sound like the Sedin twins doesn't it?

Models his game after Campbell and Keith. I'd crap if he were that good!
The only HW the Canucks need
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Kowch wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Miller, Sbisa , Dorsett and Sutter weren't signed to their hideous deals and instead replaced by minimum wage guys , the team would have a shitpile of cash to bring in three high end ufa instead of one.Its not like the aforementioned four players are any better than 600 k a year scrubs.
Based on what metrics?
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Why do I have the feeling Ive said this before? Lucic, Ladd/Eriksson/Okposo and Demers/Goligoski could have really sped up the rebuildp
Assuming any of them would be interested in playing in Vancouver. That's a pretty big assumption. Even a hometown prospect , who had been involved with their development camp and grew up a Canucks fan, took a lot of convincing and in the end almost didn't end up signing here.
:lol: Speed up the rebuild...yeah, lets be the MakeBelieves 2.0 and be mediocre for 10 year. :roll:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:I like this part. Kid has tons of character:

His best line this week after signing was when he essentially said that if he were a Canucks fan he’d be jacked about the progress of his North Dakota teammate Brock Boeser.

He wasn’t talking about how many goals Boeser scored, which was pretty remarkable. Instead, he was speaking to how Boeser handles himself off the ice.

Thing is, Stecher is much like Boeser, the Canucks’ 2015 first-round pick. They are both dedicated, clean-living kids who, if they can make it, have the character to fit right into an organization currently led by two of the classiest players in the league, the Sedin twins.

For an example, Stecher is passing on an opportunity to play in Utica this season, something Ben Hutton did at the end of last year on an amateur tryout deal which didn’t impact his contract situation.

Stecher is staying in school in part because he doesn’t want to lower his grades, which would negatively impact North Dakota’s score in the NCAA’s academic progress rate program.

Low APR scores can result in NCAA penalties such as scholarship reductions and postseason bans.

“I never want a situation where something I did leads the coach to tell someone ‘Sorry, you can’t be a part of this’ because there was a cut,” Stecher said. “You need to leave the program in good standing if you leave early. I didn’t want to jeopardize the programs.”

It does sound like the Sedin twins doesn't it?

Models his game after Campbell and Keith. I'd crap if he were that good!
Thanks Wids,

I needed that read.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

For the whiney little bedwetters on here...http://www.theprovince.com/sports/wille ... story.html

No one is perfect, but our drafting has never been better for prospects.

Some good signings some meh.

Looking forward to April 30 and the Draft...full confidence in the slow rebuild.

2020 Stanley Cup Champs! :thumbs:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

“(Canucks general manager) Jim Benning did an unbelievable job making sure my family and I were comfortable and I only talked to him once on the phone. He let me take my time and make sure I could collect myself before making any decisions. I really respected the way he handled the situation.” Thatcher Demko

We all know EXgmMG would have fucked up that signing :roll:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And Stecher wasn't a slam dunk easy signing either, no player is, you'd think canucks fans would have realized that by now from pimple face Justin Schultz, going back to Kariya, Niedermayer etc.

This team the past while have usually lost these types of opportunities.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:And Stecher wasn't a slam dunk easy signing either, no player is, you'd think canucks fans would have realized that by now from pimple face Justin Schultz, going back to Kariya, Niedermayer etc.

This team the past while have usually lost these types of opportunities.
Oh yeah, you're right SYKO, I forget what a fuck up EXgmmg was when it came to signing promising college prospects. Guess word was out he liked to bugger suburban boys...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chris Tanev the teams best defenceman says hi.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Chris Tanev the teams best defenceman says hi.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I think Alex might have something to say about that...

TSN has Mr. Edler at 167 overall 69.12

....and Young Christabell at.....277 65.53

Nice try putz....but *BUZZZZZZ* try again, harder next time... CURRENT AWESOME GM™ Jimbo Benning has signed 3...count 'em THREE college prospects...not including Brock....and maybe more....how many did the guy that crawled up yer arse sign again? How many did he let slip away with those charmingly desperate Stanley Cup failing eyes did he scare away? :cry:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanev is a better player than Edler is. Only an idiot would say otherwise.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Tanev is a better player than Edler is. Only an idiot would say otherwise.
That's because The Prof signed the college free agent - Tanev. The agenda forever continues with you, Pickled Eggs McKenzie

"FIRE GILLIS....!" Says 18,000 Canuck Fans at Rogers Arena
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Do you think Edler is a better player than Tanev Pacific Blue?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Alex Edler that steamrolled Doughty in the 2010 playoffs could've been a beast. Injuries have taken their toll.

Why are we comparing drafted players to free agent signings? If Stecher turns into a Tanev-level player it would be fantastic. He could very-well be Evan Oberg.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Oh no, here he comes, like clockwork - Blobbys Wingman.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau