Shinkaruk to Flames for Granlund

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Shinkaruk to Flames for Granlund

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk a bean pole flyweight but all of a sudden Mr. We are
Too Small McKenzie now loves him! Go figure. Am I surprised? Hell no!
Sorry I forgot Granound was a gorilla . A strapping 176 pounds with his gear on .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

RoyalDude wrote: Another brilliant trade by the bird dawg!
It doesn't count, he traded a MG draft pick.

Kind of how MG didn't deserve credit for Horvat because he traded a Nonis draft pick.
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Hockey Widow wrote:I stole this from Cowpuke, too lazy to do my own write up:

Treliving on the trade:

- Looking at this (Shinkaruk?) for a while
- Thanked Granlund for his service
- Moved lots of young players to our team quickly...need to continue to build our pipeline of prospects (not a great deal of depth in skill positions)
- Scoring goals at the NHL level is difficult...Hunter has done nothing but score; doesn't translate to NHL level automatically, but its an area of need for the Flames
- Number of players at the centre position for the Flames; Drew Shore and Bill Arnold in the minors
- Markus' contract is up, plus waiver eligible at the end of the season; risk exposing him to waivers later on
- Wants to caution fans that Shinkaruk is NOT at the NHL-ready stage yet, still work to be done; but down the road, he can fill a need for us, which is score goals
- Hunter is a competitive player; Flames like that about him and want him to continually improve
- At the junior level, you can beat other teams with raw skill; but need to fine-tune that for the NHL level because you're playing against "redwoods" on the blue line
- Things that stood out with Hunter for the Flames: Competitiveness, quickness, willingness to score goals
- Has potential to be a top six forward; still has a ways to go, but the Flames want to work with him and bring him to that level
- Don't normally see teams deal with div. rivals, and this is our 2nd deal with VAN in recent times
- First had conversations with VAN about this a few months ago
- Evaluated players, determined areas of need; once you make your wish list, many of those players aren't available
- Giving up a good player in Markus Granlund; need to make sure that its the best move for the organization moving forward
- Talked about it internally in the last few weeks, came together in the last few days
- Tried Granlund on the wing in the minors; he is able to play the wing, but wasn't all that comfortable. One of Markus' greatest strength is his hockey IQ. Good to have those players at any position is good, but best to have it at center. And Markus just didn't seem comfortable at wing
- Flames didn't project Markus to be in the top six long-term; not a bad thing, as you need players in all positions. But with the waiver situation and the rest of the roster, this was the correct move to make
Interesting to note that JB and Treliving seems to be on the same page here.
1) HS is not ready for NHL, no promise that he ever will be, but has the tools. Calgary is a buyer because they have an organizational need in the future - not now. Vancouver is a seller because they have invested time and are not seeing the progress in the areas that they feel are important for success at the NHL level.
2) Granlund is an NHL player with upside potential that needs to be re-signed and playing in the NHL. Vancouver is a buyer because after HS/BH/injured BS, they have a hole because McCann/Vey/Cracknell are not the long term 3/4 solutions. They are prepared to take a risk on him at let him grow. They can use him now and into the future. Calgary is a seller because there is no space for him right now. Too many other above him in the feeding trough. He is not going to get into the lineup. They will end up putting him on waivers and losing him for nothing.

Potential win for both teams, but both are taking risks. HS has a higher risk/higher reward potential, Granlund is the safer/more flexible choice with potential upside. Neither one is a clear winner over the other. Both may end up as busts, or have long productive careers.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

On the radio they mentioned that the Nucks don't have many prospects in this age group because of the bad draft picking. Maybe it is as simple as that?

Still like deal since I don't think HS was in the long term plans but they could of added him to Vrbata or Hamhuis to maybe get a better return?
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Remember Vey
12/13 AHL 67 pts in 74 games
13/14 AHL 48 pts in 43 games
NHL 38 pts in 117 games (12 goals/28 assists)
Like HS, he was a proven point getter/goal scorer in the AHL
Like HS, he hasn't proven the ability to fight through traffic that is needed for NHL success.
Unlike HS, he is 2 inches taller and stronger.

HS is a big question mark still.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Absolutely retarded trade. :lol:
I would have rather seen a 2nd rounder come back, whether it's from this year or next. Why exactly do they need another small, light player who isn't especially fast.
I'm sure the Flames would have preferred a second too.

Next year is another of the retoolbuild. if Granlund isn't any good, he'll clear waivers, if he's ok, he won't be on waivers.

Fun reading all the descriptions of Shrinkwrap's talent not translating to the NHL.......sounds familiar.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:The age group theme is a little odd...great players are great players at any age...why not focus on that.
A continuous roll over of the lineup.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
TDA Rum wrote:I think we have to wait until after the trade line is finished to get a good understanding of what Benning & Lindens plan is... i don't think they are done making moves...
Exactly, tomorrow they trade Cracknell for a 5th.

Wednesday, McCann + Vey for Drouin.
Yeah, because Yzerman is gonna deal Drouin for McCann and Vey. :lol:
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

lostinarink wrote:

Interesting to note that JB and Treliving seems to be on the same page here.
1) HS is not ready for NHL, no promise that he ever will be, but has the tools. Calgary is a buyer because they have an organizational need in the future - not now. Vancouver is a seller because they have invested time and are not seeing the progress in the areas that they feel are important for success at the NHL level.
2) Granlund is an NHL player with upside potential that needs to be re-signed and playing in the NHL. Vancouver is a buyer because after HS/BH/injured BS, they have a hole because McCann/Vey/Cracknell are not the long term 3/4 solutions. They are prepared to take a risk on him at let him grow. They can use him now and into the future. Calgary is a seller because there is no space for him right now. Too many other above him in the feeding trough. He is not going to get into the lineup. They will end up putting him on waivers and losing him for nothing.

Potential win for both teams, but both are taking risks. HS has a higher risk/higher reward potential, Granlund is the safer/more flexible choice with potential upside. Neither one is a clear winner over the other. Both may end up as busts, or have long productive careers.
Pretty much sums it up. It was a hockey deal with both teams looking for different things. Unfortunately the Canucks aren't a team dealing from strength. This team should have started restocking the cupboard after its first round exit in 2011-12 and if not then the next year after going out four straight to San Jose. Instead the end of the Gillis era seemed to be marked by knee jerk decisions in respect to trades eg Luongo, and contracts with NTC's that made no sense eg Higgins. Benning is attempting to fill that void with little or no trade-able assets and not every trade is going to be a home run.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:I absolutely LOVE Elmers dick when it's covered with Nutella but even if it had Parkay on it I'm good to go
LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

givemeda411 wrote:Chris Higgins: Hunter is very skilled but soft. A lot of guys weren't too impressed this past camp. But still labeled the trade weird.

- this from Higgins's brother.
Speaking of Higgy, if we end up moving Hansen and Burr (TDD or offseason), I won't mind bringing Higgy back to Vancouver. We can't have all young guys on the roster, need some vet experience. He the "glue" guy and only has 1 more year on his contract. If anything, see if he can find his game again, up his value and move him for something @ next year's TDD. :P
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

I just have this to say about the trade: Why are we trading AWAY a former Medicine Hat Tiger? This was NOT part of the plan!

We should have been trading for Tyler Ennis and Kris Russel.

Benning has lost his mind and needs to be STOPPED!!! :mad:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rayxor wrote:I just have this to say about the trade: Why are we trading AWAY a former Medicine Hat Tiger? This was NOT part of the plan!

We should have been trading for Tyler Ennis and Kris Russel.

Benning has lost his mind and needs to be STOPPED!!! :mad:
LOL.

Hell has frozen over.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk a bean pole flyweight but all of a sudden Mr. We are
Too Small McKenzie now loves him! Go figure. Am I surprised? Hell no!
Sorry I forgot Granound was a gorilla . A strapping 176 pounds with his gear on .
So Benning should have traded Shinkaruk for Tom Wilson or Dylan McIlrath or Alex Petrovic? I understand your anger now. Like who wouldn't give up a Tom Wilson type for Hunter Smurfkaruk
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Shinkaruk has two more seasons to clear waivers and he was vastly improved this season. I'm not angry he was dealt, just don't understand targeting a player like Granlund. What was the rush to move the kid ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”