Willy D death watch...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Willy D death watch...

Post by ukcanuck »

Either we make the playoffs or the young guns don't work out....

Something like that....

Either way the bell tolls

(Rats I'm sober now and figured the whole thing out )

Thanks doc ;)
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Willy D death watch...

Post by Lancer »

I don't see this death watch happening until this time next year. He won't be judged by whether the team makes the playoffs or not but how it does so or not. If the kids develop and the vets play like they give a shit, the record and standings won't matter so much, no matter what management says. Everybody knows this won't be a painless transition and there something to be said for stability after 3 coaches in 4 years.

This trip will try management's patience, but unless they see the trip stemming from mismanagement of the kids (don't think so) or the team tuning out t coach (and firing Willie may not be the answer anyway) I don't see Willie walking the plank any time soon.

That said, unless we see something we haven't seen before, I don't see Willie as the kind of coach to lead the team into contention. He may learn in time, but he been schooled by wilier coaches even this year.

In that event, Travis Green makes a good plan B.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I don't believe there was ever any expectation this year (or next, frankly) for this team to succeed. It's a shitty squad on its way down to rebuild and the entire organization is on-board.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I'm not a fan of Desjardins but I would keep him around for this season anyways . Long term I would like to see Travis coach the club but I dont think he's ready atm.

This next year or three the team could be very shitty as they turn over what's left of the old guys and hopefully nab a couple of studs in the draft . Sign a couple of high end ufa and get lucky with a couple of our existing prospects and this could turn out pretty good .Constantly changing the coach is not a recipe for success but he isn't a long term answer for this team.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I preferred the original thread. LOL.

Willie ain't going anywhere.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I preferred the original thread. LOL.

Willie ain't going anywhere.
Me too but I'm sober now
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

What was " the original thread " ?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:What was " the original thread " ?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10793

:D
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

its times like these where the ability to laugh at one's self comes in handy...
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Shakey is gonna be fine for a few more years.. While we have an expectation to make the playoffs, nobody is really expecting a deep run, so coaching staff is pretty safe.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Madcombinepilot wrote:Shakey is gonna be fine for a few more years.. While we have an expectation to make the playoffs, nobody is really expecting a deep run, so coaching staff is pretty safe.
Agree.. asking for more from WD is ridiculous.. He cant make chicken soup out of chicken shit..
a bunch of aging vets and rookies .. A good team in a few years as we replace our older players with good young players,,
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Tiger wrote:
Madcombinepilot wrote:Shakey is gonna be fine for a few more years.. While we have an expectation to make the playoffs, nobody is really expecting a deep run, so coaching staff is pretty safe.
Agree.. asking for more from WD is ridiculous.. He cant make chicken soup out of chicken shit..
a bunch of aging vets and rookies .. A good team in a few years as we replace our older players with good young players,,
If only he can get Vrbata and Higgins playing like they at least want to be traded to a contender. Right now, those 2 are untradeable.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I'm not saying, I'm just saying...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

If the canucks don't make the play offs and it's looking like distinct possibility right now then who else walks the plank. Certainly not linden or Benning...

And when you look at other coaches getting more out of mediocre players. You gotta start wondering. Especially when we got out coached against Calgary last year and the way willie has been slow to make changes.

Throw in willy's stated desire to protect his young players and limit their ice time and then reversing that by hanging out Horvat to dry as a second line centre?

Stating publicly that the last game was a must win for the team and demanding more "battle" the limiting their chance to win by starting the back up at home no less...

At some point you gotta wonder does this coach have enough fire and guts and battle to motivate the room?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:If the canucks don't make the play offs and it's looking like distinct possibility right now then who else walks the plank. Certainly not linden or Benning...

And when you look at other coaches getting more out of mediocre players. You gotta start wondering. Especially when we got out coached against Calgary last year and the way willie has been slow to make changes.

Throw in willy's stated desire to protect his young players and limit their ice time and then reversing that by hanging out Horvat to dry as a second line centre?

Stating publicly that the last game was a must win for the team and demanding more "battle" the limiting their chance to win by starting the back up at home no less...

At some point you gotta wonder does this coach have enough fire and guts and battle to motivate the room?
Lol do you actually think this is a decent hockey team ? I don't like Twitch but he has nothing to work with thanks to GM moves from the present and previous administrations