2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Boston going off the board and drafting Debrusk and Senyshyn helped our cause quite a bit in getting Boeser. A lot of surprise picks in the first round

The deal the Canucks were looking at making, had Boeser not been available was to the Flyers for the 29th and 61st picks. Toronto, who had Nashville's 24th pick, picking right after us, made the deal. Time will tell whether we should have grabbed that deal or not but from what I have been told the Canucks waited until it was their turn then said no. They simply did not think a player like Boeser would be there for them at 23.

Last year they had a chance to move down as well for either a much later first and a late second or two seconds, one high one lower. But McCann fell in the draft and they saw that as a gift too. Again time will tell if they were right. We know through history who they could have picked this year with 29 and 61. Last year is a little more cloudy because I can't pin down the exact deal and therefore what players would have been there.

But it's easy to see that had Benning made both deals we would have 4 players in the fold and no McCann or Boeser. Who we would have is speculation as to who they valued/internal rankings. I am pleased with both picks although a little concerned about McCann and his two concussions.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So if we draft by positional need in 2016 in the first round, in which defense seemingly is our biggest need positionally, here is what we will be looking at for D-men who are expected to go in the first round. Ranking these prospects by what the average rankings seem to be

1. Chychrun - will go 2nd or 3rd overall

2. a real mix bag of opinions but the next D-man to go after Chychrun is predicted to go around 10th overall. A real big drop after Chychrun. These are the ones who seem to get ranked next

- Fabbro
- Juolevi
- Krys
- Clague
- Day
- Sergachyov
- McAvoy
- Bean
- Lajoie
- Green

Chychrun is the only true stud D-man expected to come out of this draft, the rest are serious question marks. Fabrro, Juolevi, Krys, Clague seem to be guaranteed to go first round somewhere between 10th and 30th, with maybe McAvoy, Sergachyov and Bean maybe cracking the top 30. Day is the real wild card here as he is a physical specimen with the brains of David Booth.

With the exception of Juolevi, the other D-men expected to go in the first round - Fabbro, Clague, Krys are on the small side. McAvoy and Sergachyov have good size.

Anyhow, its not a good draft class for D-men at the top end. It is safe to assume that the Canucks will be picking somewhere between 10th and 20th. I guess Fabbro, Juolevi, Krys and Clague could be targeted with our first pick, but again there are some really good forwards going in the top 20 and a lot of them I would take ahead of those 4 if you go by the BPA.

If the Canucks are picking top 10, if Chychrun is gone, we are picking a forward in the top 10. It would be asinine to trade back in the daft as there are some real good forward prospects going in the top 10.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I agree Dude. Benning is a BPA type anyway. One friend told me that Benning does his own draft rankings monthly and then does an analyses of why a player(s) may have dropped, looking for trends and patterns. His reshaping of the scouting has, is as one goal, aimed at getting him regular updated information. He constantly looks at potential draft position and constantly shapes and re shapes his rankings, based on best overall players who may be available when the Canucks may draft.

His forte is scouting and drafting. I think the only times you will see him shift away from BPA are if a positional need is so great and the separation between draftees is very narrow on his rankings and in later rounds.

The selection of Boeser is an example of how he works. He had three players targeted at 23, who he felt may be available. Of those three he had them ranked, in order of 1-3 as to who he would take. If any of those three were available they were taking BPA. If none were there, and barring a higher ranked player dropping, he was trading the pick as he felt the next grouping of three would be available at 29. He is very methodical and meticulous in his approach.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Hockey Widow wrote:One friend told me that Benning does his own draft rankings monthly and then does an analyses of why a player(s) may have dropped, looking for trends and patterns.
:eh: Does he post his ranking on a message board and take every opportunity available to him to take pot shots at GMMG?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:I agree Dude. Benning is a BPA type anyway. One friend told me that Benning does his own draft rankings monthly and then does an analyses of why a player(s) may have dropped, looking for trends and patterns. His reshaping of the scouting has, is as one goal, aimed at getting him regular updated information. He constantly looks at potential draft position and constantly shapes and re shapes his rankings, based on best overall players who may be available when the Canucks may draft.

His forte is scouting and drafting. I think the only times you will see him shift away from BPA are if a positional need is so great and the separation between draftees is very narrow on his rankings and in later rounds.

The selection of Boeser is an example of how he works. He had three players targeted at 23, who he felt may be available. Of those three he had them ranked, in order of 1-3 as to who he would take. If any of those three were available they were taking BPA. If none were there, and barring a higher ranked player dropping, he was trading the pick as he felt the next grouping of three would be available at 29. He is very methodical and meticulous in his approach.
But 95% of fans at other fucking Canuck messageboards say they have 1000% more hockey smarts than JB!

How can so many retards be so wrong?!! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Yeah unless we are talking McDavid or Eichel, drafting at the top end like in the top 5 you can draft by position, for instance you may have Pujujiarvi ranked one higher than Chychrun but if NEED D prospects especially a stud one you take Chychrun. Sort of like comparing Ekbkad to Reinhart and Bennett. But later in the draft and the rounds that follow it's pretty standard for teams to draft BPA available on your own compiled list as it's pure crap shoot then. You are relying on your own leg work then.

Unfortunately this is not a great D draft class but who knows maybe where we pick the BPA is a D-man, but I could care less as prospects take 3-4 years to develop and our needs may could Be something completely different then

Maximize your asset value by taking BPA. Trade assets for positional need later something like what the Oilers did by getting Reinhart
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Thanks for enlightening us Pacific Blue ! No shit you take the best player available and doubly so when your prospect pool is as lousy as Vancouver's is . This team lacks at every position not just defence .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:This team lacks at every position not just defence .
Yeah well what about this position Blob...

The position of..... F A N !

____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Seth Jones
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Thanks for enlightening us Pacific Blue ! No shit you take the best player available and doubly so when your prospect pool is as lousy as Vancouver's is . This team lacks at every position not just defence .
Listen Baggage McKenzie, I was just carrying on with your buds - IN about his demands that Benning MUST draft a defence man hell or high water. Ya don't need to bloody up the bed sheets old friend over what is nothing more than shootin the breeze at the Canuck water cooler, you not loading up on the tall boys and nacho chips poolside Pitt Meadows this lovely August summer afternoon? Chillax.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Why cant we all just get along?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Thanks for enlightening us Pacific Blue ! No shit you take the best player available and doubly so when your prospect pool is as lousy as Vancouver's is . This team lacks at every position not just defence .
Listen Baggage McKenzie, I was just carrying on with your buds - IN about his demands that Benning MUST draft a defence man hell or high water. Ya don't need to bloody up the bed sheets old friend over what is nothing more than shootin the breeze at the Canuck water cooler, you not loading up on the tall boys and nacho chips poolside Pitt Meadows this lovely August summer afternoon? Chillax.
Where did I say that? I said at a certain point in the draft determining BPA isn't always clear-cut. If we get to that point, drafting a D-man would make sense. Our defensive prospect pool might be the worst in the NHL.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Reefer2 wrote:Why cant we all just get along?
Because we fucking hate each other.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Where did I say that? I said at a certain point in the draft determining BPA isn't always clear-cut. If we get to that point, drafting a D-man would make sense. Our defensive prospect pool might be the worst in the NHL.
But you do agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat? Like what the Oilers did in acquiring a good young D-man in Reinhart former 4th overall draft pick? Flames did the same with getting 22 year old Hamilton, giving up their 15th overall pick and two 2nds in the process. Wasn't Hamilton a top 4 pick? The Oilers had depth in picks to make that happen and have enough good young hockey players that sacrificing a 16th overall pick and a 33rd overall pick would not hurt their youthfulness.

BPA is the only way to fly, maximum value of assets to be acquired, trade for need later
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: But you do agree that there is more than one way to skin a cat? Like what the Oilers did in acquiring a good young D-man in Reinhart former 4th overall draft pick? Flames did the same with getting 22 year old Hamilton, giving up their 15th overall pick and two 2nds in the process. Wasn't Hamilton a top 4 pick? The Oilers had depth in picks to make that happen and have enough good young hockey players that sacrificing a 16th overall pick and a 33rd overall pick would not hurt their youthfulness.

BPA is the only way to fly, maximum value of assets to be acquired, trade for need later
lol you say there is more than one way to skin a can, then say BPA is the only way to fly.

I agree that if if there is a clear BPA you take him. But generally after the top couple picks, BPA is more difficult to determine. At that point, say you have a dman and a forward ranked similarly, we should lean towards the d-man. And yeah, the trade route would work, but both your examples involve stockpiling draft picks, which Benning hasn't done. When we acquire draft picks, they are usually out the door fast.

And Hamilton was 9th overall.