2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2016 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This one reeks of HANDLERS making decisions for a teenager. I really cannot see how this is Austins wish. I'm sure he would have been just as happy playing for the Everett Silvertips for one season, who own his CHL rights, getting in 70 games. I just don't see how playing in Switzerland for one year is better for his development. This purely reeks of parents and agent maximizing every penny for their son/client. Poor Austin 'Eric Lindros' Matthews. Hey Mr. and Mrs. Matthews, give Carl Lindros a call, you have a lot in common. Meddling parents. It's not like the kid isn't going to make Kabillions of dollars over the next 20 years, this is a ridiculous decision to make for a 17 year old
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I was skeptical of your interpretation Dude, until I googled it and realized his first name is spelled "Auston" - his parents are maniacs, and must be stopped.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Honestly, I am dreading following this or any sport in about 20 years. Any bets as to whether this team is led by a Caden - Jayden - Grayson line?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Pretty good odds on a Jack - Josh - Logan line, too.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canada's under 18 team is looking very good at the Ivan Hlinka tourney. A couple BC kids to keep an eye for the 2016 draft - Jost a forward who picked up a hat trick the last game and D-man named - Fabbro

Benson of the Giants is playing great as well. This Sam Steel is pretty slick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BC kid Tyson Jost expected to go top 15 in the 2016 NHL draft announced today he will play for the University of North Dakota, the same program Brock Boeser is about to play for. The Canucks scouts will be seeing this kid a fair bit. Could be in our wheelhouse of where we will be drafting. I think he could go top 10, he was a star at the recent Ivan Hlinka tourney. Got a hat trick one game. Plays LW and Centre. Apparently his buddy Dante Fabbro may follow him to UND as well. Both played in the BCHL last year. Fabbro another BC kid expected to go top 10. A stud a D/man
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:BC kid Tyson Jost expected to go top 15 in the 2016 NHL draft announced today he will play for the University of North Dakota, the same program Brock Boeser is about to play for. The Canucks scouts will be seeing this kid a fair bit. Could be in our wheelhouse of where we will be drafting. I think he could go top 10, he was a star at the recent Ivan Hlinka tourney. Got a hat trick one game. Plays LW and Centre. Apparently his buddy Dante Fabbro may follow him to UND as well. Both played in the BCHL last year. Fabbro another BC kid expected to go top 10. A stud a D/man
Our prospect pool could really use a stud d-man, or three.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Still take the best player available but yeah it would be nice to land a stud D man. Not sure if we will be Terri-bad enough to land Chychrun but me thinks Fabbro is a possibility. It's not a deep D-man pool, lots of wingers rated to go in the first. We are thin on LW so wouldn't mind Jost. Even though Gsuthier is a RW I wouldn't hesitate to draft him. He's a beast and could really stack the right side with Virtanen and Boeser there. We are pretty deep at centre although we don't have the prototypical no. 1 centre but Horvat ain't no slouch and McCann has the potential as well
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:Still take the best player available but yeah it would be nice to land a stud D man. Not sure if we will be Terri-bad enough to land Chychrun but me thinks Fabbro is a possibility. It's not a deep D-man pool, lots of wingers rated to go in the first. We are thin on LW so wouldn't mind Jost. Even though Gsuthier is a RW I wouldn't hesitate to draft him. He's a beast and could really stack the right side with Virtanen and Boeser there. We are pretty deep at centre although we don't have the prototypical no. 1 centre but Horvat ain't no slouch and McCann has the potential as well
It's hard to argue against the BPA mentality, but if the Canucks really like one of those d-men, it could be worth our while to trade down in the draft, pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and take a d-man early. This team will go nowhere if we wind up being stacked up front while having the worst D in the West, and given our current prospect pool back there, that looks like a definite possibility in a couple seasons.

There's also the option of trading prospects later on, but with Jim's questionable trade history I don't want him to go that route.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

You have to take best player available, it's about maximizing value. Most prospects take 3-4 years to develop typically, Horvats fast track isn't typical. Trade for need something like what the Oilers did with getting Reinhart. If we are stacked with valuable prospects in one position you can always trade from that depth for need that is more of a sure thing than drafting by position instead of best player available
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:You have to take best player available, it's about maximizing value. Most prospects take 3-4 years to develop typically, Horvats fast track isn't typical. Trade for need something like what the Oilers did with getting Reinhart. If we are stacked with valuable prospects in one position you can always trade from that depth for need that is more of a sure thing than drafting by position instead of best player available
Sure, if there is a clear best player available. Obviously you aren't going to pass on McDavid to take Hanifin because you need D. But when you get into the 5th-10th overall range, into that next group of prospects, there is much less consensus on who the BPA actually is. Generally it depends on what a particular GM values (size, skill, vision, shoot etc). When you're talking about Provorov, Rantanen, Meir or Werenski at the draft table you have the luxury of drafting for position, as the BPA differs depending on who you ask. Or even Drouin vs Jones, sometimes you get two choices of equal value and have the ability to draft for position.

What the Canucks could really use is a high pick (or two) in a defense-heavy draft like 2012.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:You have to take best player available, it's about maximizing value. Most prospects take 3-4 years to develop typically, Horvats fast track isn't typical. Trade for need something like what the Oilers did with getting Reinhart. If we are stacked with valuable prospects in one position you can always trade from that depth for need that is more of a sure thing than drafting by position instead of best player available
Sure, if there is a clear best player available. Obviously you aren't going to pass on McDavid to take Hanifin because you need D. But when you get into the 5th-10th overall range, into that next group of prospects, there is much less consensus on who the BPA actually is. Generally it depends on what a particular GM values (size, skill, vision, shoot etc). When you're talking about Provorov, Rantanen, Meir or Werenski at the draft table you have the luxury of drafting for position, as the BPA differs depending on who you ask. Or even Drouin vs Jones, sometimes you get two choices of equal value and have the ability to draft for position.

What the Canucks could really use is a high pick (or two) in a defense-heavy draft like 2012.
Exactly - BPA once your past the top 5 is anything your team desires for most part.

BPA is purely a way for some people to sound like they know something when there is no smoke or fire.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Reefer2 wrote: Exactly - BPA once your past the top 5 is anything your team desires for most part.

BPA is purely a way for some people to sound like they know something when there is no smoke or fire.
Adding to that, we've seen Benning's willingness to stick with his rankings. If you believe him, the Canucks would have taken Brisebois in the 2nd round. So it's tough to know what his BPA rankings are, maybe he factors positional needs into his rank structure, a seperate category of "potential franchise impact" to go alongside "character" and "intangibles".

Just looking at the 2014 draft, if Carolina had Fleury as their BPA, but knew Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie were highly coveted by the teams picking after them, would it not make sense for them to drop down to 10th, pick up an extra 2nd rounder, and still get "their guy"?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya IN, teams do that all the time. In fact, if Boeser had not been available the Canucks had a deal in place to drop down because they knew the next player on their list was going to be available much lower. Same last year, if McCann had not "fallen" to them they were contemplating dropping down and taking a couple of seconds at that slot.

If you believe the spin, McCann and Boeser dropped to them and they did not expect either to be available.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boston going off the board and drafting Debrusk and Senyshyn helped our cause quite a bit in getting Boeser. A lot of surprise picks in the first round