Jim Ignitowski Benning

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Jim Ignitowski Benning

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brandon Sutter thread has gotten derailed with the fans of Iggy licking his nutsack and the more moderate posters rapping his knuckles for some of his countless blunders . I think the Brandon Sutter acquisition and subsequent signing is not a real great move but it represents one of Reverend Jims better moves . Yes , yes......I'm setting the bar low but we may as well have a separate thread for the Iggy apologists and the people who shake their head every time this poor sap opens his yap .

Have at it !!
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Jim Ignitowski Benning

Post by ukcanuck »

the hole troll thing you're doing...

seriously

Miller

why you trashing the guy?

didn't he win a Vesina, wasn't he an allstar...wait wasn't he a USA goaltender?

Benning is a smart guy, your a smart guy,

what gives??
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Eddie Johan Hedberg Lack

Nothing like a loveable Swedish goaltender. Such a fan favourite, therefor overrated

NHL GMs - "lack is a good back up goalie"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ukcanuck wrote:the hole troll thing you're doing...

seriously

Miller

Benning is a smart guy, your a smart guy,

what gives??
So you think Miller at 6 million a season is a better deal than Lack at 1.15 million . I have no idea what to say here .
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Guy needs to stick to (re)building this team through drafting. That's why it's good he's around for this transformative stage for the franchise, his amateur scouting and drafting looks solid. Everything else (trades, signings, cap management, media relations) leave much to be desired.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
Miller
So you think Miller at 6 million a season is a better deal than Lack at 1.15 million . I have no idea what to say here .
Island Nucklehead wrote:Hockey News: Canucks have 2 of the 5 best goalie prospects.

Some good media coverage in a summer where the Canucks are getting hammered pretty hard by the pundits.

Markstrom is ranked #5 best goaltending prospect, Demko sits at #4.
Having these young goalies who appear to be great goalie prospects thus far, helps the odds of us being OK in the goalie department for years to come, having Miller here for the next couple of years will help those young goalies mature and develop properly.

Basically Benning somewhat Schneider'd off Lack for another pick to help solidify our prospect cupboards further, something Gillis was horrendous at during his tenure here.

So yup Miller, Markstrom, Demko, yeah we should be fine for now and in the future, which ultimately made Lack a calculated expendable.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Guy needs to stick to (re)building this team through drafting. That's why it's good he's around for this transformative stage for the franchise, his amateur scouting and drafting looks solid. Everything else (trades, signings, cap management, media relations) leave much to be desired.
That is why he has unloaded lineup players for picks with no players or salary coming back... you know, the moves you hate.

Then he's gone out and acquired character vets on short deals to mentor the kids, ala the anti-oiler, you know, the moves you also hate.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Guy needs to stick to (re)building this team through drafting. That's why it's good he's around for this transformative stage for the franchise, his amateur scouting and drafting looks solid. Everything else (trades, signings, cap management, media relations) leave much to be desired.
That is why he has unloaded lineup players for picks with no players or salary coming back... you know, the moves you hate.
It's not the players for picks I hate, it's moving the picks after we acquire them.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:his amateur scouting and drafting looks solid. Everything else (trades, signings, cap management, media relations) leave much to be desired.
Yeah, he'd be great to have as a chief scout and/or maybe assistant GM, but giving him the keys to the franchise? I dunno. He seems a bit too cavalier to be the guy making the big calls, as his asset management is a big question mark. He trades some good players and gets like nothing in return (ie - Lack/Kass) and he seems to overpay, wasting cap space on a bunch of average players (ie - Pizza-Man, Dorsett, etc). He also seems to go out of his way to keep his coach happy (ie - paying a high price to acquire Vey and keeping him for another year).

I wonder if there was a division in the Canuck Camp? Trev had to choose between the guy he picked in JB vs some of the guys who came in under Gillis (Gillman + Henning). Gillman is supposed to be some kind of top capologist and maybe he didn't like some of the contracts we were handing out. Maybe Gillman and Henning didn't like the direction the club was heading in, thus they were let go. JB seems to be getting his own guys now as they announced some new guys to the hockey operations. Trev appears to be a very green now, as he seems to be just following JB's lead and just supporting whatever JB decides to do.

We'll see how things play out. I'm not very optomistic for the coming season and I do not expect much. It'll take at least a couple years to really judge all these moves.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:So you think Miller at 6 million a season is a better deal than Lack at 1.15 million . I have no idea what to say here .
I personally believe Miller's a better goalie. Is he a better deal? You're comparing a starter to a backup, so the comparison is invalid in my opinion. Is there a cheaper starter the Canucks could have acquired? That's a more valid question.
Last edited by BurningBeard on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Of course Benning and Linden are surrounding themselves with their guys. Trevor explained that. Year one he didn't want to make rash moves, he wanted time to assess. He basically said too many cooks in the kitchen and it was important to have everyone on the same page.

What transpired is what always transpires, new prez, new GM, they pick their guys. Not just hockey this happens.

I love the job I think Gillman did with the cap. I'm uneasy with Weisbrod I admit. But time will tell. All the naysayers may be right in the end. Valid points have been made on both sides. Time will, tell. If we shit the bed, we draft high, a win. If we get another 100 points we make the playoffs, a win. Camp will start soon. Then we can see.

How about them Jays!
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Doh
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BurningBeard wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:So you think Miller at 6 million a season is a better deal than Lack at 1.15 million . I have no idea what to say here .
I personally believe Miller's a better goalie. Is he a better deal? You're comparing a starter to a backup, so the comparison is invalid in my opinion. Is there a cheaper starter the Canucks could have acquired? That's a more valid question.
Lack has never had an opportunity to be a starter for more than 20-30 games . He has been up to the challenge once and shit the bed in his rookie year. I am not a huge Lack honk I just feel that if there is any difference between the two guys it sure as shit isn't 4.85 million dollars annually .
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
BurningBeard wrote:
Lack has never had an opportunity to be a starter for more than 20-30 games . He has been up to the challenge once and shit the bed in his rookie year. I am not a huge Lack honk I just feel that if there is any difference between the two guys it sure as shit isn't 4.85 million dollars annually .
Really!?

A vesina

What have you done for me lately holy shit ...
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:Really!?

A vesina

What have you done for me lately holy shit ...
There are arguments to be made for going with Miller, but "he was good half a decade ago" isn't one of them. Maybe we should have signed Martin Brodeur, he has four vesinas..