2014-15 Utica Comets

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2014-15 Utica Comets

Post by BladesofSteel »

He can keep McCann company in the press box.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Grenier with an EN. Markstrom about to post a SO with 14 seconds left. Utica up 2-0 about to advance to Calder final, in their second year of existence. Face off outside Comets zone.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

2-0 SO for Markstrom!!! Utica takes on LA farm team next. A little piece of redemption perhaps? I may purchase to watch the finals.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Doing it in style! I don't recall a Canucks farm team ever having this kind of success.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Short term memory, Moose lost to Hershey in the 08-09 Calder finals.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Don't know if this is true but read over on CDC that AHL Live Calder Cup games will be free on their app using the promo code CALDERCUP.

http://ahl.neulion.com/

Game one goes Saturday.

**edit**

I just set up an account on AHL Live. When you go in to set up your account and get to billing information don't fill that part out re credit card. Beside credit card info you will see a box to enter promo code. Enter CALDERCUP

choose that option and you are registered and able to watch the final free. App proves highlights and past games. Feed is poor quality but hey, it's free if you are interested. Saturday at 3pm Eastern times, game one.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Topper wrote:Short term memory, Moose lost to Hershey in the 08-09 Calder finals.
One big difference between that Moose team and this Comets team is the Moose were really led by AHL journeymwen - Mike Keane, Nolan Baumgartner, Krog, Jaffray. The Comets' leading scorer is Cal O'Reilly, but other than that it looks to me like its Canucks prospects who still have a shot at the bigs that are driving this team - ten that are 20 or under.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BladesofSteel wrote:He can keep McCann company in the press box.
I read somewhere that McCann and Hutton were sent home from Utica to get working on the off season training plans the team has for them.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:He can keep McCann company in the press box.
I read somewhere that McCann and Hutton were sent home from Utica to get working on the off season training plans the team has for them.

Hutton was for sure, don't know about McCann. Today Benning stated that Cassels will not join Utica. He was playing the past month with an injury and the Canuckscwant him to rest, heal and get ready for camp.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Don't know if this is true but read over on CDC that AHL Live Calder Cup games will be free on their app using the promo code CALDERCUP.

http://ahl.neulion.com/

Game one goes Saturday.

**edit**

I just set up an account on AHL Live. When you go in to set up your account and get to billing information don't fill that part out re credit card. Beside credit card info you will see a box to enter promo code. Enter CALDERCUP

choose that option and you are registered and able to watch the final free. App proves highlights and past games. Feed is poor quality but hey, it's free if you are interested. Saturday at 3pm Eastern times, game one.
http://www.uticacomets.com/ahl-live-fre ... alder-cup/

That's back-to-back game 7 shutouts for Markstrom. Total clutch. The thing w/ this guy is he seems to have real clunkers but it seems he responds very well. With Willie he's never had the chance to rebound right after that SJ game. He's yet to lose back-to-backs for this playoff run and that included one game he was pulled.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote:That's back-to-back game 7 shutouts for Markstrom. Total clutch. The thing w/ this guy is he seems to have real clunkers but it seems he responds very well. With Willie he's never had the chance to rebound right after that SJ game. He's yet to lose back-to-backs for this playoff run and that included one game he was pulled.
Good for Markstrom, it would be nice for him (and everyone else) to get a championship.

It's obvious he's got nothing left to prove at the AHL level, but he certainly wouldn't be the first goalie to dominate that league and flounder in the Show.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just a minor clarification Clam. He didn't get back to back game seven shutouts. He did get back to back series clinching shutouts though. One was game seven, the other game six.

Still your points are all the same valid. Backing up Miller may not allow him those recovery games as you suggest. He needs t leRn the NHL game, he needs the confidence of his coach to rebound. Bishop has the full backing of his coach and as such as also displayed that ability to bounce back and win after a stinker.

I'm not sure how well Markstrom develops under WD. Not without some type of mandate that he gets x games as the back up. Lack sat far too often and for too long of stretches. Markstrom needs a chance to play 30+ games as a backup and it's hard to see him getting that if Miller stays healthy.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Markstrom has dominated in every league he has played in, except for the NHL. I think he's worth a shot next season as the back-up.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ahhh, young forewards breaking need 2nd unit PP time and regular top six linemates and now goalies breaking in need recovery games after shit outings.

Mother of tanking god.

To date, Markstrom has shown nothing at the NHL level. He is a great AHL talent.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Mother of tanking god.

To date, Markstrom has shown nothing at the NHL level. He is a great AHL talent.
Don't talk about Spidey's mom... she's DEAD damnit!! :evil:

All of Markstrom's NHL woes are easily explained by bad teams, injuries, and WD feeding him to the Sharks.

Do you realize Markstrom had a 0.96296296296 sv% in his last NHL game??

DO YOU??!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.