Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

Bah, Ducks are overrated.

All those games they won by one goal = fluky.

They and the Preds are coming back down to Earth just in time for the playoffs.

This is one of those years any team could get hot and win the West.

Why not your Vancouver Canucks says I. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:This is one of those years any team could get hot and win the West.

Yeah, I think we have a good dark horse team. If I were one of the top seeds, I don't think I'd wanna play Vancouver. While we don't have that elite superstar franchise player, we make up for it in other ways. When we on our game, we can roll 4 solid lines that can do some dmg, roll 6 D and looks like we have the goaltending that can steal us some games. We also getting healthy and getting some key players back (ie - Juice + Richie Rich), which should give us an extra jump and bolster us our lineup that much more.

Our team is not quite as good as the 2011 squad, but definitely better than the 2012+2013 squads. I doubt our guys have 16 Ws in them, but I can definitely see us going a couple rounds. And hey, once u reach the conference finals, you're only 4 Ws from a Stanley Cup final again, anything can happen, u never know.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:This is one of those years any team could get hot and win the West.

Yeah, I think we have a good dark horse team. If I were one of the top seeds, I don't think I'd wanna play Vancouver. While we don't have that elite superstar franchise player, we make up for it in other ways. When we on our game, we can roll 4 solid lines that can do some dmg, roll 6 D and looks like we have the goaltending that can steal us some games. We also getting healthy and getting some key players back (ie - Juice + Richie Rich), which should give us an extra jump and bolster us our lineup that much more.

Our team is not quite as good as the 2011 squad, but definitely better than the 2012+2013 squads. I doubt our guys have 16 Ws in them, but I can definitely see us going a couple rounds. And hey, once u reach the conference finals, you're only 4 Ws from a Stanley Cup final again, anything can happen, u never know.
We also still have shown we don't work well when the ref puts the whistle into the pocket.

The Canucks PP is also lacking so even if a penalty was called would the Nucks score?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Shinkaruk scratched last game for Utica, him and Jensen are making a good case for themselves to get demoted to the ECHL

Surprised with Jensens struggles, maybe it's frustration. Not surprised with Shinkaruks struggles, he needs to be extra special offensively to validate him belonging in the pros cause 200 ft game, play away from the puck, defence, board play are his weaknesses. I guess the same can be said about about Jensen. If these two are not good enough for top 6 they will not play in the NHL

Not surprised that Gaunces transition to the AHL from junior has been seamless. Definitely looks more than capable of slotting in at the bottom 6 of an NHL lineup, size, 200 ft game, skill, defence and smart.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk scratched last game for Utica, him and Jensen are making a good case for themselves to get demoted to the ECHL

Surprised with Jensens struggles, maybe it's frustration. Not surprised with Shinkaruks struggles, he needs to be extra special offensively to validate him belonging in the pros cause 200 ft game, play away from the puck, defence, board play are his weaknesses. I guess the same can be said about about Jensen. If these two are not good enough for top 6 they will not play in the NHL

Not surprised that Gaunces transition to the AHL from junior has been seamless. Definitely looks more than capable of slotting in at the bottom 6 of an NHL lineup, size, 200 ft game, skill, defence and smart.

Gaunce has also been adjusting to the switch from centre to wing. The Canucks are trying to convert him to a power forward on LW as they feel he is better suited to wing due to his skating issues. I think as he gets more comfortable at wing he will get strong at the position. Will be interesting to see if he can translate that into an NHL game. A 2-3 line winger with size is always a good thing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

lostinarink wrote:Has Vancouver ever had 3 rookies in top 40 in scoring? :P

For that matter, they have 2 in top 20. And of the top 20, the sit #1 & #2 in shooting percentage

Weird season.
Who are the top rookies in the league this season? How is BoHo stacking up against them in the points standings?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/playe ... on/rookies

Filip Forsberg,Johnny Gaudreau & me were all born on Aug 13
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Pretty impressive for Bo considering Ekblad and Drouin are the only teenagers ahead of him on that list.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

dangler wrote:http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/playe ... on/rookies

Filip Forsberg,Johnny Gaudreau & me were all born on Aug 13
Ah, thanx Dangler.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Elvis Presley
David Bowie
Me...were all born Jan 8th I couldn't sing a note with a gun held to my head...

So what are you saying dangler :?:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

jus
rats19 wrote:Elvis Presley
David Bowie

1st & 2nd leading rookies born on the same day is pretty coincidental,,,,,and your a hunka hunka burning love
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

dangler wrote:jus
rats19 wrote:Elvis Presley
David Bowie

1st & 2nd leading rookies born on the same day is pretty coincidental,,,,,and your a hunka hunka burning love
With a little "Ziggy" thrown in.. 8-)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:Shinkaruk scratched last game for Utica, him and Jensen are making a good case for themselves to get demoted to the ECHL

Garbage - as I've said many times Shinkaruk hasn't been terrible, he's just completely snake bitten. Kid can play and will be fine, give him some time. Jensen has looks disinterested and I'm not sure what they do with him, guys like Haunce, Virtanen, Baertschi will all likely make the team before Jensen does.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's not about being snake bitten, it's about the other parts of the game that the average fan cares to give credit for like defence, puck battles, 200 ft game. The one common complaint I keep hearing about Shinkaruk is that puck possession ends on his stick as he is constantly taking low percentage chances to score, forcing the play that isn't there. He apparently isn't very patient but his biggest issue is puck battles, he's not strong at all. The pro game is tough on Hunter. He's either gonna sink or swim. If he swims he's gonna have to be real good offensively because those other parts of hockey that matter, he sucks at
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:It's not about being snake bitten, it's about the other parts of the game that the average fan cares to give credit for like defence, puck battles, 200 ft game. The one common complaint I keep hearing about Shinkaruk is that puck possession ends on his stick as he is constantly taking low percentage chances to score, forcing the play that isn't there. He apparently isn't very patient but his biggest issue is puck battles, he's not strong at all. The pro game is tough on Hunter. He's either gonna sink or swim. If he swims he's gonna have to be real good offensively because those other parts of hockey that matter, he sucks at
His biggest problem is strength, no question. The nice thing about that is correcting it takes nothing but hard work. He should improve greatly with a full offseason of training in that area.

His other problem is he likes to try junior moves - ie takes too long to pass, over handles the puck, etc - he's learning that can't happen in the pro game.

I'm not saying he will definitely make it, just that he has the talent to and now needs to work at it. There are tons of examples of guys who took 2-3 years in the AHL before making it full time in the NHL, and Shinkaruk will likely be one. His speed, shiftiness and skill level are all pro calibre.

Lots of other good prospects on the farm as well - Pedan is playing really well, Gaunce has been a bit slow the past 4 or 5 games but he thinks the game very well and will likely make it as a bottom 6 guy, Baertschi has a ton of offensive skill. McCann has been very good this year, he's really the straw that stirs the drink in the Soo. Virtanen I haven't seen as much but ilove his skills and overall game, just needs to hone it and play better two ways. Hutton and Subban is signed both have solid potential.

Will be another good prospect added this year, maybe a couple if Benning can recoup some picks. I don't see any superstars but Boston and LA really don't have that superstar up front and they've done just fine.