World Juniors 2015

Discuss Canada's National Teams in our Team Canada forum.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: World Juniors 2015

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dangler wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Canada's really not helping themselves. Their defence, almost to a man, has been horrific. Nurse, in particular, has made awful pinches and rushes.

Ferraro's sure gushing over him LOL!!
He was a different player in the third period and Ray is right, that was the best period he's played all tournament. Sticking to his job of defending, he was unreal in our corners and in the battles. That's where he should focus his game. His, and the majority of the d-men's, second period was bad. They wanted to get in on the rout and let the Russians back in the game.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Whew! Couldn't have asked for a better period to end it all.

GOLD!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

That's Gold Jerry! Gold!!
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That Russian D-man - Gavrikov is 2015 draft eligible. Really impressed with him, doesn't seem go be rated very high. Was more impressed with him than Provorov.

Pretty damn good game! That's Gold Jerry! The gold is back where it belongs m
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Games like that remind me how awesome hockey is!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Great game by Canada but had some brain farts.

Russia's goalies had an odd game, 5 - 10 minutes of pure crap and then 5 - 10 minutes of big saves.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Great game Canada. Beat those autocratic communist SOBs. Still would have liked to have seen Horvat in there celebrating the gold. We own the game of hockey.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

okcanuck wrote:Great game Canada. Beat those autocratic communist SOBs. Still would have liked to have seen Horvat in there celebrating the gold. We own the game of hockey.
I've got my doubts that Horvat would have survived the final cut.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

okcanuck wrote:Great game Canada. Beat those autocratic communist SOBs. Still would have liked to have seen Horvat in there celebrating the gold. We own the game of hockey.
OK we won... but it was a close one. Give the Capitalist Russians their due.. They made a great comeback in the second period . Their passing offence was the best I have seen in a junior team. The third period was all about our team playing a great defensive game.. Something that was missing in the first 2 periods. Yep I am happy and just won a bet with a Swede to add to the pleasure.. It was the most entertaining game of the tournament ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments;
The Russians were the only team Canada faced that could both challenge them in the alley and on the ice. If they had been told the game started two minutes earlier, the outcome may have been different. Goaltending let them down.
Island Nucklehead wrote:Domi, like his dad, has a very punchable face.
No surprise Max got the first emotionally undisciplined penalty for Canada just as it is no surprise Virtanen received the second one.

I had no problem with either of those calls especially after both benches had been warned twice to cool thing off.

In a seven game tournament you ride the hot hands like a 16 year old wife in Bountiful. Players who find a mate in the pre-tourney foreplay are expected to reproduce goals, those who don't, slave to support the colony.

Jake was given every opportunity to find a line, he had a game + with McDavid after Fabbri went down but like Ritchi before him, he didn't work out. Things started to come together with Petan and Paul but McDavid discovered he could work with Petan. That said, I liked what I saw from the kid, strong skater willing to challenge anyone, good shot and quick release. Just as advertised. Plenty of warts as well. He was Canada's Zach Kassian.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Pure speculation - IF Horvat had been loaned to Team Canada he would have been asked to play the wing and tried in Duclair's spot along side Reinhart and his old London team mate Domi. No idea if would it have worked out, but I think that would have been the starting point.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Perhaps Tops, but he likely would have been one of, if not the best f/o guy on the club. So it would have been pretty difficult to move him to the wing given his strong two-way ability and big game pedigree.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BladesofSteel wrote:Perhaps Tops, but he likely would have been one of, if not the best f/o guy on the club. So it would have been pretty difficult to move him to the wing given his strong two-way ability and big game pedigree.
A huge reason he wasn't there.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

BladesofSteel wrote:Perhaps Tops, but he likely would have been one of, if not the best f/o guy on the club. So it would have been pretty difficult to move him to the wing given his strong two-way ability and big game pedigree.
Yep. And really, do you want Horvat to go in there as the third-line Centre? It might've been fine to have him and Virtanen line up beside one another, but I don't see Bo pushing Reinhart or McDavid from their 1-2 C positions.

He would have certainly been a great asset for TC, but in the end, Gold is Gold and nobody can really argue with that roster.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Congrats to Canada, and thanks for beating the Russians! 8-)
I really would have hated to see them win...

As I said early on, I doubted that the Swedish team could be a contender this year, due to sloppy D.
I was pleasantly surprised that we won our group undefeated, and we beat Finland soundly, but then in the quarter final and the bronze game the warts did become visible.
On the plus side, this was the youngest team we've ever brought to the juniors.
Twelve of the players will be eligible next year as well, and ought to be stronger and smarter by then. :)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.