Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media" (or "Idiots" as Torts calls them)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Vancouver's Hockey "Media"

Post by Betamax »

Reefer2 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Somebody needs to tell bro Jake that he isn't funny. His jokes are the worst, what's with his long drawn out fake laugh ? How the fuck did he ever get on radio? I don't get it.
He's mastered Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." His Shtick is to be the class clown and apparently it works, since it seems like the people he associates with, like the guy. 8-)
I will say that Bro Jake has improved by 100% since his inauspicious debut as a Sports Talk Show host. It was God awful the first couple of weeks, and the daily episodes of the CHAMP was painful.

They've since retired the CHAMP and stopped the scripted/fake comedic segments and the Bro has improved as a host that it's actually listenable these days. :mex:
Never - the guy still always trys to get a penis reference into everything he does.
I think he's at least tried to lower the amount of sexual innuendo that was more prevalent when he first began the show. That might work at a Rock Radio Station Morning Show but for Sports Talk listeners want more sports and less of a clown show. The move to hire The Bro was to get more of a crossover audience i.e. the casual sports fan that were fan of The Bro in his morning Rock DJ days. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Somebody needs to tell bro Jake that he isn't funny. His jokes are the worst, what's with his long drawn out fake laugh ? How the fuck did he ever get on radio? I don't get it.
He's mastered Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People." His Shtick is to be the class clown and apparently it works, since it seems like the people he associates with, like the guy. 8-)
I will say that Bro Jake has improved by 100% since his inauspicious debut as a Sports Talk Show host. It was God awful the first couple of weeks, and the daily episodes of the CHAMP was painful.

They've since retired the CHAMP and stopped the scripted/fake comedic segments and the Bro has improved as a host that it's actually listenable these days. :mex:
Never - the guy still always trys to get a penis reference into everything he does.
I think he's at least tried to lower the amount of sexual innuendo that was more prevalent when he first began the show. That might work at a Rock Radio Station Morning Show but for Sports Talk listeners want more sports and less of a clown show. The move to hire The Bro was to get more of a crossover audience i.e. the casual sports fan that were fan of The Bro in his morning Rock DJ days. :mex:
via: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/27 ... en-missed/

Botchford reports:
BEST RATINGS

The last book for TEAM 1040 is in.

The morning show is up to around a 7.9 share in the key 25-54 demo. This is an impressive number when you consider the flagging interest in the Canucks. And it’s the Canucks that carry the station.

It pretty much validates the TEAM’s decision to hire Bro Jake btw.

He took a lot of crap when he took the job, but he’s worked his ass off. Not sure I’ll be doing the same when I’m his age. Cruise control, baby.

Midday comes in at 6.7 – 6.8 share.

Afternoon drive came in with a 5.6 share. There may be some meetings about that one.
The Morning Show as I've stated previously improved considerably after the removal of a lot of the self indulgence that Bro Jake initially brought.

The last tidbit is interesting, I could see them moving "The Pratt Man" back to the Afternoon to drive up the ratings there. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!
I think sooner or later, The Pratt Man is going to be back in the driver's seat in the afternoon. Not sure who they would pair Bro Jake with in the mornings ... my vote would be to slot Rob Fai (Nation) as Pratt's replacement. :mex:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:Gotta say, I've done a complete 180 with Pratt, I used to hate him but now I'm a fan of his. For how much Sekeres irritates me his show is probably the best 1040 has now mainly cause his partner provides a good ying yang for that slot. Pratt is saving the morning shot combined with Jake reeling it in. The guys I can't stand are B Mac and Taylor, moron fence sitters lacking hard opinions. Get rid of them!
Pratt isn't that bad ... Hasn't been for years. If they could build a few shows around Pratt, Moj, Sekeres (puke) , Rintoul , Ball and Lalji they would be ok . The other tards need to be booted . As long as 1410 is around there is an alternative that is far better .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Mondi wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

That didn't take long for Botch.
Wow, what contrived nonsense. This is so Vancouver. A goalie with 41 games to his credit, who wore down at the end of the season, is going to be in a goalie controversy with a guy who is a legit number one. I'm not saying the miller deal is the best it could've been, would have the preferred two years, but botch and Vancouver sports media just has to eat its young, it knows no other way.

Funny, all the media commentators outside Vancouver think the miller deal is pretty good, those inside Vancouver generally don't like it… Too much navel-gazing inside the Van bubble.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mondi wrote:http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

That didn't take long for Botch.
My exact thoughts when I heard about the Miller signing.

The Canucks are setting themselves up for a goaltender controversy. Miller's a competitor, he's never won a Stanley Cup, and most of all, he wants to be "the man". You think at age 33 he's interested in mentoring Lack to replace him in 3 years? Fuggedaboutit.

Lack adequately proved himself last season and I think did enough to be the starting goalie. Now with this Miller signing, he gets dirt kicked in his face. But hey, what's new. This is Vancouver where we treat our goaltenders like shit so same old same old.

I don't like this one bit and further confuses me on whether or not we're rebuilding or retooling or aiming for the last playoff spot to go out in round 1 and draft 18th overall.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

"Canucks are setting themselves up for another 'goalie controversy'" - well, sure.

"Canucks are setting themselves up for another 'goalie controversy' and it's a huge problem" - :roll:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote: My exact thoughts when I heard about the Miller signing.

The Canucks are setting themselves up for a goaltender controversy. Miller's a competitor, he's never won a Stanley Cup, and most of all, he wants to be "the man". You think at age 33 he's interested in mentoring Lack to replace him in 3 years? Fuggedaboutit.

Lack adequately proved himself last season and I think did enough to be the starting goalie. Now with this Miller signing, he gets dirt kicked in his face. But hey, what's new. This is Vancouver where we treat our goaltenders like shit so same old same old.
Miller WILL be the man, and Lack WILL be the backup. How is this anything different for Eddie Lack? He signed here as a Free agent, when this team had Roberto Luongo. He watched the controversy swirl around Lou/Schneider, he watched them trade Schneider, do you not think he was expecting to back up Luongo for a couple years? When they traded Lou, he played decently enough, but he obviously wasn't convincing enough to be a 55-60 game starting goalie.

It certainly shouldn't shock anybody that Linden and Benning were targeting a number 1 goalie. I highly doubt Eddie is surprised. The best thing is, he's got 2 years left, and then he's a UFA himself and can decide where he wants to go. If he's as good as you think he is, he will replace Miller or at least earn himself a nice deal elsewhere. If he's not, well then he's in the same spot he's been pretty much his entire time here in Vancouver, playing behind a veteran number-1 goalie.
I don't like this one bit and further confuses me on whether or not we're rebuilding or retooling or aiming for the last playoff spot to go out in round 1 and draft 18th overall.
Clearly they're aiming for the playoffs. It won't matter. The difference between Miller and Lack is not going to be enough to get the Canucks into the playoffs.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:[
Clearly they're aiming for the playoffs. It won't matter. The difference between Miller and Lack is not going to be enough to get the Canucks into the playoffs.
And.... you just made my point.

So why Ryan Miller then?

Your statement implies that Miller is better than Lack.

And you also say that we're not getting into the playoffs.

So what the two above statements imply is signing Ryan Miller is going to cost us at least 1 or 2 draft spots.

Right? And... I think that's a bad thing.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

mathonwy wrote:
So why Ryan Miller then?

He is. What makes you think Lack is even capable of playing 50 games as soon as this season?

So what the two above statements imply is signing Ryan Miller is going to cost us at least 1 or 2 draft spots.

Miller will make us competitive on any given night. We still won't be able to score enough to win the required games to get us into the playoffs. Lack/Markstrom is as likely to be a complete disaster as it is to be an adequate tandem, that's not an acceptable risk to anyone.

The key to this signing will be in years 2/3, imo. Rather than just sell Lack right down the river, letting him get shelled every single night, we insulate him a bit. We also allow the season ticket holders to think the game that night might be competitive. See how this works? Build for the future (ie Lack as a starting goalie) while giving the illusion of not completely rebuilding. It might get us 4-6 more points in the standings, but that is likely the difference between 28th and 26th overall.

Just because Miller won't get the Canucks into the playoffs doesn't mean ownership should want to tie a cinder block around Lack's feet and toss him off the Lions Gate bridge.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Let's also keep in mind, Miller over lack is roughly $4.5M in cap space out the window as well. Considering we already have $800k gone to Lu, that is basically a player like Moulson/Cammallerri we can't sign and also getting into Stastny territory. With all our cap room we might have lured Stastny here & our 2nd line & PP would have been hella improved...perhaps Iginla comes as well. Now we're talking playoffs as a reality. As it is all we're talking is getting a crappier draft position.

What are we doing here, rebuilding, retooling on the fly or surging for a long playoff run?

So if the playoffs aren't a reality and, as it is, being successful in them isn't...why not being in a vet backup (Brodeur) to mentor/shield Lack. Save term & cap space while giving Eddy 50% of the starts. At least he can still develop & see the light at the end of the tunnel.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
So why Ryan Miller then?

He is. What makes you think Lack is even capable of playing 50 games as soon as this season?
What makes you think he isn't capable? The "collapse" from last year that had nothing to do w/ him and was actually an organizational collapse? Miller totally collapsed last year in Buffalo & St. Louis. Are we prepared for 3 yrs of that for Mark Messier money? Miller has given no indication he isn't done. He's certainly trending downwards...Lack at least has upside. If we still had a Selke winning 2C I'd feel better abo a rebound. What makes everyone so sure Lack can't handle this yet Bonino can fill our 2 spot? He won't be lining up on the wing w/ Getzlaf & Perry as linemates. Like a Torts said, this isn't 2011...that could apply to Miller as well.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
So why Ryan Miller then?

Miller will make us competitive on any given night. We still won't be able to score enough to win the required games to get us into the playoffs. Lack/Markstrom is as likely to be a complete disaster as it is to be an adequate tandem, that's not an acceptable risk to anyone.

The key to this signing will be in years 2/3, imo. Rather than just sell Lack right down the river, letting him get shelled every single night, we insulate him a bit. We also allow the season ticket holders to think the game that night might be competitive. See how this works? Build for the future (ie Lack as a starting goalie) while giving the illusion of not completely rebuilding. It might get us 4-6 more points in the standings, but that is likely the difference between 28th and 26th overall.

Just because Miller won't get the Canucks into the playoffs doesn't mean ownership should want to tie a cinder block around Lack's feet and toss him off the Lions Gate bridge.
What makes you think Lack isn't capable of playing 50 games? The truth is, we won't know until we know and now we won't know until 3 years from now.

And neither Clam nor I are advocating on selling Lack down the river.

Bringing in a vet WILL help Lack's development. Ryan Miller is just not the right one. Botchford made some great points in this article. I share his concern about whether or not Ryan Miller has the personality to survive in Vancouver. Miller isn't a Brodeur who has won pretty much won everything. Miller still has a lot to prove with age working against his favor. And Vancouver is a very tough market for goaltenders with attitude issues. And Vancouver's roster is chock full of question marks.

Not a good situation IMO.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote: What makes you think he isn't capable?
His career 41 games NHL experience, where he did wear down towards the end of the season.