Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
herb wrote:and intends to make the playoffs every year (i.e. no tear it apart rebuild).
Called it. :mrgreen:
Just placating the herd, Doc. You're from Abby, you know what that's all about.

He's not just gonna come out say we intend to miss the playoffs this year.

Besides, we WILL make the playoffs every year.... after this one. :mex:
Or a mandate from ownership who love them playoffs revenue ........ 8-)
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

^^ They'll be getting a lot more playoff revenue if they tear it down and get top value now, before a wicked draft.

Hopefully the Francesco fuckups of yesteryear have convinced him to butt out.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:^^ They'll be getting a lot more playoff revenue if they tear it down and get top value now, before a wicked draft.

Hopefully the Francesco fuckups of yesteryear have convinced him to butt out.
I don't think no matter how hard they try, even if they could re-hire the late Bill Laforge, could they finish with the worst record next season to essentially guarantee themselves one of two future "superstars." 8-)
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 29945
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Strangelove »

TRADE OUR FIRST ROUND PICK IN 2015! :thumbs:

It's 'supposed' to be a wicked draft, and we're 'supposed' to suck again

.... meaning they'll give us the moon for that pick!! :towel:

ALL IN FOR THE CUP BABY YEAH!!!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:^^ They'll be getting a lot more playoff revenue if they tear it down and get top value now, before a wicked draft.

Hopefully the Francesco fuckups of yesteryear have convinced him to butt out.
I don't think no matter how hard they try, even if they could re-hire the late Bill Laforge, could they finish with the worst record next season to essentially guarantee themselves one of two future "superstars." 8-)
Meh, 3rd-worst would get us a wicked player, then add another top-tenner via trade = Vancouver Dynasty. :thumbs:

But yeah, if we could somehow outsuck Buffalo that would be mint.

:lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:TRADE OUR FIRST ROUND PICK IN 2015! :thumbs:

It's 'supposed' to be a wicked draft, and we're 'supposed' to suck again

.... meaning they'll give us the moon for that pick!! :towel:

ALL IN FOR THE CUP BABY YEAH!!!
2015 1ST AND HUNTER SHINKARUK FOR KEITH BALLARD
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
herb
CC Legend
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:2015 1ST AND HUNTER SHINKARUK FOR KEITH BALLARD
*facepalm*
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12558
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:TRADE OUR FIRST ROUND PICK IN 2015! :thumbs:

It's 'supposed' to be a wicked draft, and we're 'supposed' to suck again

.... meaning they'll give us the moon for that pick!! :towel:

ALL IN FOR THE CUP BABY YEAH!!!
2015 1ST AND HUNTER SHINKARUK FOR KEITH BALLARD
We need to add for that.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Meds
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8788
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:If the Canucks make the mistake of not going for a major rebuild, who do they go after in free agency?
Are you asking that out of random speculation, or are you alluding to what Benning said about how in Boston they started by focusing on making the playoffs and then they started bringing youth into the lineup etc.?

When you look at the contracts on our roster and consider who hold the NTC's, there is no room to actually add anything significant in the way of free agents and get some of the younger players into the lineup on a regular basis where they will get some experience. It's one or the other.

The only thing about that press conference that has me feeling optimistic is the fact that Benning gave an affirmative answer when asked if he would be willing to approach players about waiving their NTC's.

So if we have some young kids ready to take spots this year, then I would say that at least 2 of our NTC holders will need to be moved out with only a single roster player returning and the rest in picks and young prospects.

Benning also said that as it stands now he wants to try and keep Kesler, and that he is also a fan of the Sedins.....
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Meds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:If the Canucks make the mistake of not going for a major rebuild, who do they go after in free agency?
Are you asking that out of random speculation, or are you alluding to what Benning said about how in Boston they started by focusing on making the playoffs and then they started bringing youth into the lineup etc.?

When you look at the contracts on our roster and consider who hold the NTC's, there is no room to actually add anything significant in the way of free agents and get some of the younger players into the lineup on a regular basis where they will get some experience. It's one or the other.

The only thing about that press conference that has me feeling optimistic is the fact that Benning gave an affirmative answer when asked if he would be willing to approach players about waiving their NTC's.

So if we have some young kids ready to take spots this year, then I would say that at least 2 of our NTC holders will need to be moved out with only a single roster player returning and the rest in picks and young prospects.

Benning also said that as it stands now he wants to try and keep Kesler, and that he is also a fan of the Sedins.....
Yeah, I'm pretty much suggesting that if they want to make the playoffs and they're not tearing it down, they better go after a Stastny or something for the Kesler line and they better fix the defense, add a vet goaltender, etc...

Like I said, huge mistake if they go that route. Delaying the inevitable and minimizing returns for another first-round asskicking.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Just checked out the Benning interview. Said all the new-GM stuff new GMs say. That said, I am pretty stoked about this hiring.

I put absolutely no stock in press conference banter, but man, I wish the people in our organization would stop insisting the Canucks are still a talented team. :roll:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 11769
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by rats19 »

I liked what he had to say too rummy. I have high hopes for the proper running of this franchise. With excalating expectation level as each of the next couple three years go.. .no cups in 43 yes and 2 in the next 7 years...I am stoked
To... Or not..
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Just spitballing here...

If Daniel looks as bad this season as he has the past two, he might be the worst 7-million dollar player in the league.

:idea:

I know it seems unlikely right now (and would cost the Tardilinis a lot of dough), but maybe we should save our CBO for after the 14/15 season if we're serious about turning this ship around.

Still can't believe those contracts... and how many of you were thrilled about them. :scowl:
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Sat May 24, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:Just spitballing here...

If Daniel looks as bad this season as he has the past two, he might be the worst 7-million dollar player in the league.

:idea:

I know it seems unlikely right now (and would cost the Tardilinis a lot of dough), but maybe we should save our CBO for after the 14/15 season if we're serious about turning this ship around.
I think this is the last off-season you can use the CBO. I have my doubts that the Canucks' will even use their last one.
User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4201
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Who Can Be The Canucks New GM?

Post by Rumsfeld »

Betamax wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Just spitballing here...

If Daniel looks as bad this season as he has the past two, he might be the worst 7-million dollar player in the league.

:idea:

I know it seems unlikely right now (and would cost the Tardilinis a lot of dough), but maybe we should save our CBO for after the 14/15 season if we're serious about turning this ship around.
I think this is the last off-season you can use the CBO. I have my doubts that the Canucks' will even use their last one.
Well in that case I guess we're stuck with him for four years.

If Gillis had just held off on those stupid fucking contracts, there's no way their agent could have landed that term or cap hit. Three more years at 5 million I could live with.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Locked