The Glass is Half Empty....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The Glass is Half Empty....

Post by Canuck-One »

Frankly I have no idea how we will do this year but I do want to point out a few things.

1. For most of the season we had 1 NHL center. Kesler only played 17 games. Lapierre was not doing his job very well and we had no 3 c all year. Only Henrik showed up but he was a major focus and MG did nothing to help.

2. AV may have lost the room as they didn't seem to have any fire when they did play. Perhaps a new voice will make a difference.

3. Injuries destroyed the chemistry between Booth and Kesler in effect leaving us with no 2nd line. So focus on the Sedins and shutdown the Canucks.

4. Kassian seemed to be in a fog. I put this down to AV's coaching. I think the kid was too afraid to do anything wrong.

5. I don't feel the love some of you have for Schroeder as he is too small for the NHL. I see Richardson as the 3rd C and Lain on the 4th.

6. I would like to see MG sign both Alberts and Fistric while allowing Corrado another year of development in Utica.

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Kesler
Tanev - Webber
Alberts - Fistric.

I think this D while not of superstar caliber would get the job done.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Canuck-One wrote:6. I would like to see MG sign both Alberts and Fistric while allowing Corrado another year of development in Utica.

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Kesler
Tanev - Webber
Alberts - Fistric.

And Bieksa moves to the 2C position? Bold move! I like it!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Spock wrote: At this point, it is impossible to argue that the Canucks are a better team for the upcoming season than they were last season.
Well we'll see about that....
Spock wrote: 1) one year older on a veteran laden team.
One year wiser, one year's more experience.
Spock wrote: 2) less depth at defense
Depth dee Ballard/Alberts/Barker are easily replaced... and arguably improved... by Weber/Corrado/whomever

(it's quite clear GMMG is going to bring in another defenceman).
Spock wrote: 3) less depth in goal.
Schneider's panic attacks were wreaking havoc upon the team's morale = MUCH better off without him. :drink:
Spock wrote: 4) the few young forwards Canucks employ have not shined at the NHL level thus far.
Not thus far, but young forwards DO tend to improve, so odds are these young players WILL be better next season.
Spock wrote: 5) no cap room to improve the team.
Not much, but the fact remains your Vancouver Canucks are a cap-max team with every player at reasonable cap-hit.
Spock wrote: Basically, Canucks are praying that the current roster can play better.

Sounds like the definition of insanity to me.
Actually the definition of insanity is being unable to distinguish fantasy from reality.

And the reality is that your Vancouver Canucks WILL win the Stanley Cup next season.

Prove me wrong...
Spock wrote: We aren't Calgary yet, but getting there.....
:shock:

Yikes Spock, that was over-dramatic, who pissed in your glass this morning?

*slips some Canucks koolaid powder into Spocks glass* :cheers:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:Precisely why I'd be patient this year with a shuttle of Comet kids and the risk reward of them playing in the bigs.
:thumbs:

Suffer a bit this upcoming season while nurturing and developing the young guns while hoping the cap goes up in the 2014 offseason, which has a wealth of awesome UFA's, some will re-sign of course but it should be a banner year to go after quantity and quality NHL free agents.

And a big IF the 2nd line remains relatively healthy, this team is helluva a lot more dangerous than it has shown lately.

Plus play the shit out of Kassian - force develop.
Strangelove wrote:*slips some Canucks koolaid powder into Spocks glass* :cheers:
FTW!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

How much is he cap going to increase in the coming years?

The Canadian dollar is down 5%-7% vs the US and not expected to get any better.

Both the US and Canadian economies are tanking.

The Canucks had problems selling out their two playoff dates this year and are being hit with lower corporate sponsorship and this is one of the better franchises.

I can see an increase the season after next, but nowhere near what many are thinking, after that, baby steps up or down but not the growth we had become accustomed to seeing.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

5thhorseman wrote:
Canuck-One wrote:6. I would like to see MG sign both Alberts and Fistric while allowing Corrado another year of development in Utica.

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Kesler
Tanev - Webber
Alberts - Fistric.

And Bieksa moves to the 2C position? Bold move! I like it!

ha ha ha oops!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:How much is he cap going to increase in the coming years?

The Canadian dollar is down 5%-7% vs the US and not expected to get any better.

Both the US and Canadian economies are tanking.

The Canucks had problems selling out their two playoff dates this year and are being hit with lower corporate sponsorship and this is one of the better franchises.

I can see an increase the season after next, but nowhere near what many are thinking, after that, baby steps up or down but not the growth we had become accustomed to seeing.
I dunno Topper, I hear attendance was up 1.5% last year and that sponsorship is also up overall.

I hear that the Canadian dollar will only have an effect if it drops below 90 cents.

I hear that if they used their regular formula, revenues from 2013 would have set next year's cap much higher

(but hard to figure cuz they're extrapolating shortened season number$)

( = shortened season but full playoffs and whatnot)

(don't forget next year's cap was negotiated rather than calculated, so it's likely artificially low right now).

Obviously I'm no expert, but I do speed-read some of what the experts have to say.

And the NHL is predicting $1 billion increased revenue over the next 3 seasons:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... ebook.aspx

... which I think equates to close to an $80mil cap (in 3 years time)??

Not sure.

Not really sure about ANY of this, just speculation.

Oh but I am certain Aquaman will continue to make a fortune off your Vancouver Canucks for the foreseeable future.
____
Try to focus on someday.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

I think Spock sees the future very clearly. I think we are on the down bound train for 3-4 seasons.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tiger wrote:
rockjetty wrote:Missing from the list:
6) Torts for AV shake-up

They aren't praying the current roster can play better -- they paid a coach to make them play better 8-)
I seem to remember the last time we got a coach from the Rangers.. ? :(...didn't quite work out ..
Scotty Bowman couldn't have coached that team that Fat Quinn assembled and got it anywhere near a playoff spot. Blaming Keenan for the way the team was built is a joke.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mondi wrote:All I'm saying is that Botch and Co. will construct a controversy from day 1 (even if none exists).
OMG "Botch" will construct a controversy. Your first mistake is reading/listening to idiots.
The Van media is among the dumbest in ANY sports town in North America.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mondi wrote:All I'm saying is that Botch and Co. will construct a controversy from day 1 (even if none exists).
OMG "Botch" will construct a controversy. Your first mistake is reading/listening to idiots.
The Van media is among the dumbest in ANY sports town in North America.
I absolutely agree with you there. I started following all of those clowns on twitter to keep up with Canucks news and I can't handle some of the crap that flows from their brains on to a keyboard. Sometimes Botchford has a zinger or two but he and Macintyre are by far the most pessimistic make something out of nothing journalists I have read in my life!

As for the Canucks: I am still very optimistic heading into the year. I am not exactly a huge Torterella fan but I am going to have to learn to be. Nothing against AV but this team reeked of complacency the past couple of years and was in definite need of a shake up. Gone is the country club atmosphere from the core and gone is the lack of accountability from the veterans. I am not saying our core is unprofessional or immature, I just believe that AV and crew sometimes gave them too much leash to run with. I would say that it would be a fair statement to claim that the players were making or at the least influencing a lot of team decisions towards the end of AV's tenure.

I expect to see a few players excel and even surprise the fans under Torterella. Booth, Kassian, Garrison, Kesler and Hamhuis all come to mind. I feel that these players will all play better and put up better numbers under the new regime.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hate to say I told you so but I have said for a few years there is a window and it is closing and for the past couple of years MG has been going after the wrong kind of FA. Always a $4M - $5M d - man when scoring was always the problem.

Right now I am a the glass is empty - depends at the end of the season and how they are playing will determine if there is anything in the glass and if so, is it piss water cheap liquor or will it be a good scotch worthy of someone like me.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Shit....I thought there was still the ability to trade, sign, & make changes. I was unaware that we were stuck with what we have at the moment. You are right Mondi, its not looking good for us..

we are doomed :cry:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:You take a mediocre team and punt their 3L centre and #1 goalie, there is only one direction to go.
OK, saying the loss of Derek Roy is a reason we are going to suck going forward is just retarded.

Next, somebody will be lamenting the loss of Yappy Lappy…oh wait, you already did!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

What keeps my glass half full is the impression I got that this team has underperformed for the past 2 years, due mostly to not wanting to play more than 20 minutes a game.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."