Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Rumsfeld »

7 million and 5.3 million isn't a big difference under a 75+ million dollar cap... especially when the guy getting seven is elite and the guy getting 5.3 is average (referring to 2016).

The panic attack rumors are unsubstantiated and sound like a massive pile of horseshit. The kid performed at an elite level in big games at every level. Even if they are true it was his first playoff game in an incredibly high-pressure situation in a crazy building and it hasn't happened since. There is no way that this incident, true or untrue, contributed in any way to his being traded. Again, shoddy revisionism to make fans feel better.

Funny how nobody was calling Cory a panic-attack victim who can't handle pressure when he played here. :roll:

It was probably what they said it was, leg cramps due to dehydration. Pretty understandable given the circumstances of his first-ever playoff game don'tcha think?

And isn't an 8-goal meltdown in the SCF a "panic attack" of sorts? For the fans it sure as shit was.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I just don't see how spending years developing a first-round pick into an elite player and then flipping that elite player for another first-round pick can be considered a good move. Unless that first-rounder is an obvious franchise player, which Horvat is NOT projected to be.

I've seen a few posters referring to the upcoming "Horvat" era of the Canucks. LOL. The kid is not Henrik Sedin, people.

He's going to be a big part of our team one day most would assume, but let's be realistic. He's a PPG player in a junior league where offensive stars get two PPG.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Rumsfeld wrote:I've seen a few posters referring to the upcoming "Horvat" era of the Canucks. LOL. The kid is not Henrik Sedin, people.
No, we'd have much lower expectations if that were the case. :lol:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Rumsfeld wrote:I just don't see how spending years developing a first-round pick into an elite player and then flipping that elite player for another first-round pick can be considered a good move. Unless that first-rounder is an obvious franchise player, which Horvat is NOT projected to be.

I've seen a few posters referring to the upcoming "Horvat" era of the Canucks. LOL. The kid is not Henrik Sedin, people.

He's going to be a big part of our team one day most would assume, but let's be realistic. He's a PPG player in a junior league where offensive stars get two PPG.
While its debatable whether the likes of Patrice Bergeron or Jordan Staal are franchise players, there is little doubt they both played a significant role in helping their respective clubs win the Stanley Cup.

Neither are offensive powerhouse players, but both are perennial Selke candidates that any club in the league would love to have among their core.

Bo Horvat could conceivably be compared to either of these players based on style of play, physical ability and yes, even Junior stats.

Just sayin'.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rumsfeld wrote: Shall we start comparing our 5th rounder this year to Datsyuk and Zets?
Nah, our 5th rounder this year seems more likely to grab Datsyuk and Zetterberg's heads and smash them together!

Call it the Cederholm smash.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:I just don't see how spending years developing a first-round pick into an elite player and then flipping that elite player for another first-round pick can be considered a good move. Unless that first-rounder is an obvious franchise player, which Horvat is NOT projected to be.

While its debatable whether the likes of Patrice Bergeron or Jordan Staal are franchise players, there is little doubt they both played a significant role in helping their respective clubs win the Stanley Cup.

Neither are offensive powerhouse players, but both are perennial Selke candidates that any club in the league would love to have among their core.

Bo Horvat could conceivably be compared to either of these players based on style of play, physical ability and yes, even Junior stats.

Just sayin'.

Look, if the kid turns into Patrice Bergeron then ermahgerd, that's fantastic. The point is we don't really know WTF he'll turn into. He could turn into Chris fucking Higgins. Pretty sure those numbers would be somewhat comparable as well.

He'll be good, but how good? We knew what we had in Schneids.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:

Just sayin'.

Look, if the kid turns into Patrice Bergeron then ermahgerd, that's fantastic. The point is we don't really know WTF he'll turn into. He could turn into Chris fucking Higgins. Pretty sure those numbers would be somewhat comparable as well.

He'll be good, but how good? We knew what we had in Schneids.
For 98 regular season games and 10 playoffs games. Not saying that he is not good but it is still way too soon to call him the next Roy or Brodeur...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Using the best two-way centre in the game (Bergeron) as a projection for Horvat seems incredibly optimistic.

I'll admit it makes me a bit hard though.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Funny how nobody was calling Cory a panic-attack victim who can't handle pressure when he played here. :roll:
Yes but he's gone now so we can tell the TRUTH. Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:Using the best two-way centre in the game (Bergeron) as a projection for Horvat seems incredibly optimistic.
Bo is gonna end up with about 30 lbs more muscle than Bergeron.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Using the best two-way centre in the game (Bergeron) as a projection for Horvat seems incredibly optimistic.
Bo is gonna end up with about 30 lbs more muscle than Bergeron.
And about three less Selkes and a few hundred less points and a couple less Cups.*

* :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I'm telling you guys, revisionism is like poster vic.

It doesn't work and it sounds stupid.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I just don't see how spending years developing a first-round pick into an elite player and then flipping that elite player for another first-round pick can be considered a good move.
C'mon dude, Schneids was drafted 26th overall and we got a 9th overall for him = WE WIN!! :thumbs:

Besides, Schneider was damaged goods (mentally ill) and we still got value for him!!

*guzzles rest of drink*

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 81ac798373
____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: I just don't see how spending years developing a first-round pick into an elite player and then flipping that elite player for another first-round pick can be considered a good move.
C'mon dude, Schneids was drafted 26th overall and we got a 9th overall for him = WE WIN!! :thumbs:
So...you would have traded Bieksa for a 4th rounder....or Kesler for a 20th overall? :eh: