Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Canucks select Bo Horvat with the #9 pick

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:The future looks bright with BOHO.
BoHo, gotta say... luv it! :lol:
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I haven't been this exited about a draft class since COHO in 09'.

Horvat and Shinkaruk. Our prospect pool looks WAY better now.Sucks we had to lose Schneider to make it happen but sometimes you need make sacrifices. I am ok with this one.

I know nothing of these two prospects but everything I have read tells me we are going to be just fine. Good move by Gillis IMO.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

League-wide consensus: An elite, affordable young goaltender with crazy upside for a barely top-ten pick? And they're stuck with a grudging and declining Luongo for the next god knows how many years? That's all they got? Holy shit, Gillis got fleeced!!!

CanucksCorner consensus: YAY!!!
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: League-wide consensus: An elite, affordable young goaltender with crazy upside for a barely top-ten pick? And they're stuck with a grudging and declining Luongo for the next god knows how many years? That's all they got? Holy shit, Gillis got fleeced!!!
Rummy I do believe you've underestimated the hate factor of the anti-Canuck.

They're gonna mock everything your Vancouver Canucks do.

Bold Move Mike is not done yet with his summer moves.

We must relax and yet remain strong my friend.

Can I get you something to drink? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Doc, it's not just the Canuck hate. Everybody thought we got shafted here, even Gillis' pom-pom wavers (laughs at Spidey).

I just think this board tends to support every fucking move the Canucks make, and it leads to a lack of good debate and a whole bunch of mindless agreement and back-slapping.* Hence my awesome revival of the Luong/Schneider/Horvat conversation...

*except RD of course, who is, quite intentionally, the polar opposite
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I just think this board tends to support every fucking move the Canucks make
Can I get you something to drink? :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Rumsfeld wrote:Doc, it's not just the Canuck hate. Everybody thought we got shafted here, even Gillis' pom-pom wavers (laughs at Spidey).

I just think this board tends to support every fucking move the Canucks make, and it leads to a lack of good debate and a whole bunch of mindless agreement and back-slapping.* Hence my awesome revival of the Luong/Schneider/Horvat conversation...

There's no doubt we got the shaft, maybe not in terms of Gillis being cornered and getting what he could get at the draft right then and there (okay, fine, let's go Horvat, I'm on board) but there's no doubt that MG's preference was to move Luongo and he couldn't; it was him getting cornered in the first place. He admitted it. So, it's a fuck up. I like Luongo, could have a great year, but this was not the plan, CS was the goalie of the future but MG played it poorly...Horvat may turn out to be a stud and everyone's happy, and RL may well have a stunning year, wouldn't surprise me, but this WAS NOT the plan.

Also, since MG said in post-trade interview he had a sense after the CBA was signed that moving Roberto would be next to impossible, why not move Schneider at the deadline when no one was expecting it, or earlier? By waiting to the draft everyone and their babysitter knew MG had to make a move by the end of the draft, he basically admitted it (and thus he's cornered), so move earlier, go to a team like Philly and say at the deadline and say, okay, I got your goalie of the future right here...let's deal. The answer could be, MG tried that, but I heard no rumors to that effect and usually someone somewhere talks...also, if he had pulled the CS deal at the deadline it leaves Roberto as the clear #1 right there, no questions, and he plays the rest of the season and playoffs as #1 and that question is done like dinner. And then we don't have this absurd situation now where Owner, GM and coach are making their respective pleading, on bended knee trips to FLA to get win him over....flowers and poker chips in hand. (that's not a critique of Luongo, but the process)

MG messed this all up, he's paid big bucks to be a step ahead, and he was a step ahead. Hopefully, Horvat and Luongo covers for it, that would be great to see.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rumsfeld wrote:Doc, it's not just the Canuck hate. Everybody thought we got shafted here, even Gillis' pom-pom wavers (laughs at Spidey).

Meh i don't think Vancouver got shafted if one looks at the going rate for goaltenders traded in the last ten years. They don't fetch much in return but hey don't let that fuck up a good story.

I don't know if there EVER was a market for Luongo. Gillis plays the media like the retards that they are. People put the media on a paddle stool but in reality they are as dumb as most of the fans.

As an asside where did you and the dude go for your birthday Rummy ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Boston Canucker wrote:
MG messed this all up, he's paid big bucks to be a step ahead, and he was a step ahead. Hopefully, Horvat and Luongo covers for it, that would be great to see.
Great summary Boston Canucker,I suspect we're in for a couple years of mediocrity but the potential is there for success.
The team was thin in centers and the forwards weren't getting it done in the playoffs anyway, so maybe (pardon the optimism),this could be a positive direction for the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:League-wide consensus: An elite, affordable young goaltender with crazy upside for a barely top-ten pick? And they're stuck with a grudging and declining Luongo for the next god knows how many years? That's all they got? Holy shit, Gillis got fleeced!!!
Just finished speed-reading a few "Schneider Value?" threads at HF (pre-trade).

Chose to link this one because it's NJ-centred:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1373019

One guy named Inflict puts way too much value on Schneids... and gets torns to bits by the mob.

The rest (not including Canuck fans obviously) put not-much value on him.

Anyway, the general consensus PRE-TRADE was that Schneids wasn't worth a top-10 pick.

... and the general consensus POST-TRADE was that Schneids was worth much more than a top-10 pick. :lol:

PRE-TRADE - 27-year-old backup. POST-TRADE - young #1 with a glorious future.

Like I said Rummy: HATRED :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: As an asside where did you and the dude go for your birthday Rummy ?
Cobalt. But I had to buy all my own beers and BJs. :(

BTW, the Dude and I really think it's time you got yourself on a good cycle of antidepressants Blobert. We're here for you friend.

Well Royaldude is anyway.

:mrgreen:
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Trade is done, no going back now. I consider myself a Gillis supporter but I still would have liked to see another asset included - another pick or a roster player.

Can't do much about it now though, hopefully Bo plays like everyone thinks he should and becomes more valuable than Schneids was on the ice.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Diehard1 wrote:Trade is done, no going back now. I consider myself a Gillis supporter but I still would have liked to see another asset included - another pick or a roster player.

Can't do much about it now though, hopefully Bo plays like everyone thinks he should and becomes more valuable than Schneids was on the ice.
Yeah. I think it's pretty unlikely he'll ever be more valuable than Schneider would be to us, but if he pans out into a high-end 2nd line two-way center -- like a beefier Kesler -- I'll be stoked.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Rumsfeld wrote:League-wide consensus: An elite, affordable young goaltender with crazy upside for a barely top-ten pick? And they're stuck with a grudging and declining Luongo for the next god knows how many years? That's all they got? Holy shit, Gillis got fleeced!!!

CanucksCorner consensus: YAY!!!
It doesn't matter where I post or speak about the team. I support it 100% wether I think we are making the right moves or not. The fact that the team has had relative playoff success coupled with poor choices at the draft by management have left the prospect pool thin. This is the best we've had in years.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.