Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Luongo and Schneider Revisited (or is it continued?)

Post by Rumsfeld »

Mëds wrote:I haven't seen that one yet. Someone actually thinks Torts is going to turn Luongo around? Pfffft.....better quote that.
:lol:

Are you actually serious?

It was you.

I don't have time to sift through the crap but I believe your exact words were that "Luongo is going to be a very different goaltender under Torts". And it was clearly meant in a positive light.

So do pray elaborate on how Luongo is going to be a better goaltender under Torts, I'm dying to hear it. Unless it wasn't you in which case whatever. :mex:
If anyone thinks that we would have been better off going the way we have gone even though Lou could have gotten us the same return.....they need psych exam.
Yeah I don't know what those words mean. Are you in the middle of some kind of aneurysm? :crazy:

Should be interesting to revisit this blindly irrational Luongo love-in later in the season. Wonder if he'll have thrown any teammates under the bus by then...

The funny thing is that I was the biggest Luongo fan on this board the first few years he was a Canuck. My sig was his jersey and the words "it's about fucking time". I think you could have made a case for him being the best hockey player in the world after the 06/07 season. He is without a doubt the best goaltender we've ever had and did some great things for us and I thank him for that. But there is no doubt in my mind that Cory Schneider is a significantly better goaltender today, and will probably be one of the very best for quite some time.

Unlike some of you I cheer for the team and not the multi-millionaires wearing the jersey. Luongo has been a meltdown artist and an egomaniac and an idiot with the media. He's also been a shitty teammate although he certainly improved in that regard last season. Every GM and every hockey fan outside this city (and most inside it) seems to grasp the obvious fact that Luongo has a history of breaking badly in the playoffs. Hilariously, this board seems determined to put the blame everywhere else and STILL vastly overrate a 34-year old netminder despite the fact that even at a 5.3 million dollar cap hit the guy was UNTRADEABLE for over a calender year. His numbers last year weren't very good and they aren't IMO going to get any better.

It's fucking priceless, really. The guy would kill to get the fuck out of here and you kids are getting in line to blow him. But I'm done talking about Lou, there's really nothing left to say. Let's see how the season plays out and talk some more about it then.

Oh an BTW you're quite the goaltending expert there Mëds, did you play some street hockey back in the day? Until you so adroitly broke down the game 6 Hawks OT winner in '11 for me I had no idea a goaltender must flop on his stomach in order to stop a low shot. Thanks for that, it's amazing every goalie isn't doing it.
It's not a strength issue so much as it is a physiology and flexibility issue. Lou is "bow-legged", Cory is not. For Lou to actually go into the butterfly and get his pads to rotate out along the ice is next to impossible without him falling forward.
Oh really doctor? :lol:

So Luongo falls on his face due to genetics and Schneider is clearly much quicker (any idiot can see that he is) but there is no difference between them in terms of ability?

And weren't you slagging the shit out of Luongo on the other site until you realized your opinion was unpopular? Yeah, pretty sure you were.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote: Are you actually serious?

It was you.

I don't have time to sift through the crap but I believe your exact words were that "Luongo is going to be a very different goaltender under Torts". And it was clearly meant in a positive light.

So do pray elaborate on how Luongo is going to be a better goaltender under Torts, I'm dying to hear it. Unless it wasn't you in which case whatever. :mex:
I didn't mean he was suddenly going to be more skilled or something. I was referring to him welcoming the change of voice and accountability from behind the bench. Thought you meant someone said that Torts was going to make him better as in like a goalie coach.....

Rummy wrote:
Mëds wrote: If anyone thinks that we would have been better off going the way we have gone even though Lou could have gotten us the same return.....they need psych exam.
Yeah I don't know what those words mean. Are you in the middle of some kind of aneurysm? :crazy:
If Gillis could have gotten Jersey's pick for Luongo but instead chose to deal Schneider and keep Lou.....if someone thinks that would have been smarter.....that someone needs their head read.
Rummy wrote: Should be interesting to revisit this blindly irrational Luongo love-in later in the season. Wonder if he'll have thrown any teammates under the bus by then...
Should be very interesting indeed.

Rummy wrote: Unlike some of you I cheer for the team and not the multi-millionaires wearing the jersey. Luongo has been a meltdown artist and an egomaniac and an idiot with the media. He's also been a shitty teammate although he certainly improved in that regard last season. Every GM and every hockey fan outside this city (and most inside it) seems to grasp the obvious fact that Luongo has a history of breaking badly in the playoffs. Hilariously, this board seems determined to put the blame everywhere else and STILL vastly overrate a 34-year old netminder despite the fact that even at a 5.3 million dollar cap hit the guy was UNTRADEABLE for over a calender year. His numbers last year weren't very good and they aren't IMO going to get any better.
Likewise.....on the cheering for the team and not the player. That being said, if the player is in the jersey, then generally I pull for them. Edler excepted.....although I do hope he finally hits his stride. His $5.3M cap hit was not what was untradeable, it was the length of the contract and all the recapture crap in the new CBA. Nobody is completely excusing Luongo. It was, and always has been, the team as a whole that shit the bed and collapsed.....Luongo included. But the lines in the sand get drawn and most people on here cherry pick lines from posts while ignoring the entirety of the opinion. So by the time it's gone back and forth for a bit you are down to opposing sides and all that.
Rummy wrote: It's fucking priceless, really. The guy would kill to get the fuck out of here and you kids are getting in line to blow him. But I'm done talking about Lou, there's really nothing left to say. Let's see how the season plays out and talk some more about it then.
Good plan.....saves you from looking like an ass-hat in several months. :look:

:P
Rummy wrote: Oh an BTW you're quite the goaltending expert there Mëds, did you play some street hockey back in the day? Until you so adroitly broke down the game 6 Hawks OT winner in '11 for me I had no idea a goaltender must flop on his stomach in order to stop a low shot. Thanks for that, it's amazing every goalie isn't doing it.
Why thank you Rummy.
Rummy wrote:
It's not a strength issue so much as it is a physiology and flexibility issue. Lou is "bow-legged", Cory is not. For Lou to actually go into the butterfly and get his pads to rotate out along the ice is next to impossible without him falling forward.
Oh really doctor? :lol:
I would quote the source of that info if I could remember where it was.....some hockey article, on NHL.com I think, but I'm too lazy to go look it up again.
Rummy wrote: So Luongo falls on his face due to genetics and Schneider is clearly much quicker (any idiot can see that he is) but there is no difference between them in terms of ability?
Well I don't know.....Luongo has always played like this, and when he was Schneider's age he was facing an average of 31 shots per game behind an absolutely shit team, and his numbers were among the best in the league. Schneider is facing 28 shots per game and has been playing behind one of the best (on paper) teams in the NHL, his numbers are a little better than Luongo's were at 27, but how do you really compare the numbers of a backup playing on one of the best teams and a starter playing behind some of the worst teams in recent history....

Or did you mistype....did you mean to spell agility instead of ability?
Rummy wrote: And weren't you slagging the shit out of Luongo on the other site until you realized your opinion was unpopular? Yeah, pretty sure you were.
Yep. I was, but I slag the shit out of every multi-million dollar hockey player when he doesn't get the job done. Edler, Bieksa, Sedins, Kesler, Ohlund.....list goes on.

You do the same if memory serves.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I don't have the patience to filter through all of the posts but here is my two cents:

With either Schneider or Luongo we were going to be OK. I haven't commented on it at all because right from the beginning I have really believed that.

I think Torterella and his staff will change/modify the face and attitude of this team, thus directly or indirectly affecting our goaltending...which I believe will be just fine. Luongo is a big boy and it isn't his first rodeo. He has been a professional throughout the drama and will continue to be one.

He has retained the unquestionable no.1 spot again. It has been a couple years since the last time he could say that. Give the guy a chance and see what he does with it.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

I think anyone who thinks we're better off with Lou then Schneider going forward is delusional, but that's not really the point, or even something worth arguing about. :mrgreen: The point is, the trade wasn't a commentary on who was the better goalie. It was a commentary on the fact that GMMG thought Lou and the number 9 pick was more valuable to the team then Cory and whatever table scraps he could get for Lou. It's that simple. It was a BOLD MOVE that could prove disastrous if Lou's game falls apart or goes into rapid decline.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BurningBeard wrote:I think anyone who thinks we're better off with Lou then Schneider going forward is delusional, but that's not really the point, or even something worth arguing about. :mrgreen: The point is, the trade wasn't a commentary on who was the better goalie. It was a commentary on the fact that GMMG thought Lou and the number 9 pick was more valuable to the team then Cory and whatever table scraps he could get for Lou. It's that simple. It was a BOLD MOVE that could prove disastrous if Lou's game falls apart or goes into rapid decline.
At times, I wonder whether the whole Luongo vs. Schneider rumour was MG's plot to get the most out of the Schneider's trade. The Canucks did pump up Hodgson's value by giving him all the chances to be successful before trading him.

After the lockout lifted, MG knew that he would have a tough time trading Luongo for a decent return. The best solution to solve the problem is to trade Schneider. Therefore, the Canucks pumped up his value by giving him more starts and creating an image that Schneider was the Canucks new No. 1. If other GMs offered something decent for Luongo, MG would take it. Else, the trading value for Schneider would increase due to the status change from 1b goalie or backup goalie to 1a goalie or starter. Again, this is only my conspiracy theory in the long summer... :lol:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I know goaltenders don't usually get the best return on the trade market, but I think the #9 overall pick and nothing else is a bullshit return on a franchise goaltender with Cory's numbers and pedigree on an affordable contract. Gillis really fucked this whole thing up trying to flip our MVP at the last minute.

Horvat is by all accounts an excellent young player but he hasn't put up the kind of junior numbers that NHL first-liners traditionally do. His ceiling is probably as a good second line centre (which would be great) but I wouldn't be that surprised if he only pans out into a very good third line checking cente (disappointing). His highlight reels don't exactly scream high-end skill to me.

And of course all of this happens years from now, so it doesn't do anything to address our concerns this season... of which there are plenty. I like our prospect depth now but Canucks fans still don't seem to realie that it's very average if you look around the entire league. We should have been able to aquire at least another top prospect for a tender of Cory's caliber.

So Medster, I guess this means I'm not invited to your annual Down syndrome awareness BBQ? You were so good in the sack race last year. Remember to helmet up this time you little seat-chewer. :thumbs:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: The best solution to solve the problem is to trade Schneider. Therefore, the Canucks pumped up his value by giving him more starts and creating an image that Schneider was the Canucks new No. 1. If other GMs offered something decent for Luongo, MG would take it. Else, the trading value for Schneider would increase due to the status change from 1b goalie or backup goalie to 1a goalie or starter. Again, this is only my conspiracy theory in the long summer... :lol:
I truly hope nobody actually thinks this is what happened. Cory won the job by being the better goaltender. Revisionism might comfort some but it really does a disservice to how good Schneider was the past two seasons.

If only he'd had the chance to play a full playoff series from the start with a healthy groin. I think that kid has a big cup run in him, although that's gonna be pretty fucking tough with the Devils.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote: Horvat is by all accounts an excellent young player but he hasn't put up the kind of junior numbers that NHL first-liners traditionally do. His ceiling is probably as a good second line centre (which would be great) but I wouldn't be that surprised if he only pans out into a very good third line checking cente (disappointing). His highlight reels don't exactly scream high-end skill to me.
It is funny how this description is similar to the one for Kesler, except people think that he was nothing more than a third line center...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Jovocop wrote:The best solution to solve the problem is to trade Schneider. Therefore, the Canucks pumped up his value by giving him more starts and creating an image that Schneider was the Canucks new No. 1. If other GMs offered something decent for Luongo, MG would take it. Else, the trading value for Schneider would increase due to the status change from 1b goalie or backup goalie to 1a goalie or starter. Again, this is only my conspiracy theory in the long summer... :lol:
I truly hope nobody actually thinks this is what happened. Cory won the job by being the better goaltender. Revisionism might comfort some but it really does a disservice to how good Schneider was the past two seasons.

If only he'd had the chance to play a full playoff series from the start with a healthy groin. I think that kid has a big cup run in him, although that's gonna be pretty fucking tough with the Devils.
Schneider is a very good goalie, just like Hodgson is a very good prospect. I hate to lose Schneider as well but like BurningBeard mentioned earlier in the thread, "GMMG thought Lou and the number 9 pick was more valuable to the team then Cory and whatever table scraps he could get for Lou." If MG knew that he could only get scraps for Luongo, the only logical thing to do was to improve Schneider's trade value.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Horvat is by all accounts an excellent young player but he hasn't put up the kind of junior numbers that NHL first-liners traditionally do. His ceiling is probably as a good second line centre (which would be great) but I wouldn't be that surprised if he only pans out into a very good third line checking cente (disappointing). His highlight reels don't exactly scream high-end skill to me.
It is funny how this description is similar to the one for Kesler, except people think that he was nothing more than a third line center...
You realize how unusual Kesler's ascent to a first-line quality player was, don't you? Shall we start comparing our 5th rounder this year to Datsyuk and Zets?

Horvat will be good but if you're expecting a first-line center that scores a point a game I think you're going to be very disappointed.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

BurningBeard wrote:I think anyone who thinks we're better off with Lou then Schneider going forward is delusional, but that's not really the point, or even something worth arguing about. :mrgreen: The point is, the trade wasn't a commentary on who was the better goalie. It was a commentary on the fact that GMMG thought Lou and the number 9 pick was more valuable to the team then Cory and whatever table scraps he could get for Lou. It's that simple. It was a BOLD MOVE that could prove disastrous if Lou's game falls apart or goes into rapid decline.

And it will look great if CS pulls a Havlat, and fails to perform as the #1.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Jovocop wrote:Schneider is a very good goalie, just like Hodgson is a very good prospect. I hate to lose Schneider as well but like BurningBeard mentioned earlier in the thread, "GMMG thought Lou and the number 9 pick was more valuable to the team then Cory and whatever table scraps he could get for Lou." If MG knew that he could only get scraps for Luongo, the only logical thing to do was to improve Schneider's trade value.
Firstly, Schneider is a much better goaltender than Hodgson was a prospect.

Secondly, the suggestion that MG somehow engineered this whole thing fromn the start by replacing Luongo with Schneider with the intention of trading Schneider is absolutely fucking ridiculous. If that were the case he wouldn't have waited until draft day and gotten such a shitty return. Not to mention the absurdity of the entire notion with regards to the GM deciding who's in net and the younger better goaltender totally outperforming Lou and yet being the one Gillis wants to trade.

I guess the Rockefellers took down the trade center as well.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: The best solution to solve the problem is to trade Schneider. Therefore, the Canucks pumped up his value by giving him more starts and creating an image that Schneider was the Canucks new No. 1. If other GMs offered something decent for Luongo, MG would take it. Else, the trading value for Schneider would increase due to the status change from 1b goalie or backup goalie to 1a goalie or starter. Again, this is only my conspiracy theory in the long summer... :lol:

2 years from now, he is a FA and can sign with anyone. Jersey has a short term solution if they can't keep him.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Tciso wrote: 2 years from now, he is a FA and can sign with anyone. Jersey has a short term solution if they can't keep him.
I'm sure he'll be well worth whatever salary he receives, unlike the 5.3 million Luongo will be getting until the end of time.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Tciso wrote: 2 years from now, he is a FA and can sign with anyone. Jersey has a short term solution if they can't keep him.
I'm sure he'll be well worth whatever salary he receives, unlike the 5.3 million Luongo will be getting until the end of time.
IF Schneids is as good as you say he is Rumms, his cap-hit will be north of $7mil.

But then of course Cory "Panic Attack" Schneider night turn out to be a bigger meltdown artist than my buddy Lou.

Who knows, the guy is 27 had has never played more than 33 games in a season....
____
Try to focus on someday.