Handling the Prospects Correctly

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dbr
CC Legend

Re: Handling the Prospects Correctly

Post by dbr »

Danny, really I was just jumping on the chance to make a cutesy remark. But.. I don't buy into the "fill all the holes immediately or start the rebuild" thing.

I'm not into the window philosophy, I mean to some extent it is absolutely true but you don't pronounce the window closed and blow up your first line (for example) unless you're moving players who have one foot out the door or are part of the problem - I know there's room for some to think some current players are part of the problem but the solution seems to be to trade them for worse hockey players, anyway that's for another thread.

I just think that for a first class franchise there is only room for so many calculated gambles where you make the on-ice product worse .. and we've made ours for now in dealing Cory.

Right now we're making pronouncements about the 2013-14 edition of this team in the second week of July, with 200+ free agents still floating around - many of them probably considering their options now that the market has evidently not borne out a huge offer for them in the first day feeding frenzy. We've seen lots of teams add a player in August or September that's gone on to play a big role for them in the season (Manny Malhotra in San Jose, Raffi Torres here are a couple of examples that spring to mind) and this team could still add a contributor like that.

Anyway none of this has much of anything to do with handling the prospects, except for the fact that while we've seen the Canucks talk about how they're depending on a bunch of ELCs on the roster this upcoming season, I would not be surprised to see them also make it tougher for those kids to land a job.
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Uncle dans leg wrote: To me, it's very apparent this team seriously lacks balls. We've seen nothing from management other than the drafting of prospects with balls and as much as I am relieved by this it doesn't address the current issue of our pillowy soft forward group.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

I like my prospects slow boiled and well seasoned as opposed to raw. The NHL is littered with guys who have been ruined by being rushed into regular NHL duty. Its harder to think of examples of players who have been ruined by a take it slow approach.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I don't want Horbat or Shinkurak or even Gaunce or Jensen anywhere near this team next year except perhaps on a call up. I would also prefer giving Corrado a full year in the AHL if we can.

Give me an under-valued guy with 4-5 years of NHL experience on a cheap FA contract over the kids.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

While the flow years only occur once every twenty eight, Canuck fans remain ever bitchy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ORCA wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: To me, it's very apparent this team seriously lacks balls. We've seen nothing from management other than the drafting of prospects with balls and as much as I am relieved by this it doesn't address the current issue of our pillowy soft forward group.
:lol:
I do like balls! Big hairy ones hanging under the jersey of a Canuck 1st liner hopefully. We haven't seen that in awhile...

Dave, I agree with you in principle on the fact that there is still plenty of time to add what's needed. My issue is more that Gillis hasn't yet seemed to recognize these deficiencies and address them other than on the draft floor. Rushing in Horvat or Gaunce doesn't do these players any favours in regards to their development as others here have detailed.

Gillis has gaping holes to deal with and hasn't seemingly done Jack in the past to add balls.

Where's the Balls dammit!
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote: I do like balls! Big hairy ones hanging under the jersey of a Canuck 1st liner hopefully. We haven't seen that in awhile...

Dave, I agree with you in principle on the fact that there is still plenty of time to add what's needed. My issue is more that Gillis hasn't yet seemed to recognize these deficiencies and address them other than on the draft floor. Rushing in Horvat or Gaunce doesn't do these players any favours in regards to their development as others here have detailed.

Gillis has gaping holes to deal with and hasn't seemingly done Jack in the past to add balls.

The problem is that the other 29 NHL teams are trying to do the same during offseason. That is the reason why players like Clarkson, Clowe, and Iginla got big bucks. It is hard to trade for those players as well because of the high demand. The best way to address the problem is by drafting. Yes, I agree that we as fans would like to see results today. However, you don't really want the Canucks to be the next Flames or leaves...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
I do like balls! Big hairy ones hanging under the jersey of a Canuck 1st liner hopefully. We haven't seen that in awhile...

I generally agree with you, this team needs more balls; however, I do think Gillis has made some effort to add more testicular fortitude. To some degree, one could argue that Gillis has made several moves to get more balls that can play in the line-up.

For example, Torres (Bernier), Higgins (Tambellini), Kassian (Hodgson), Booth (Samuelsson) and Garrison (Salo) all have more balls than the player they replaced. I think Tortorella has more balls than AV, who almost assuredly neutered Kassian.

Has it been enough (Torres has never been replaced)? Are these guys all BAMFs? No, but other than picking up a bunch of goons I don’t know what else we can expect. The kind of player we all seem to want (a rare combination of skill, skating, grit, toughness, and two-way play – Milan Lucic incarnate) just isn’t that easy to get.

In this remaining off season, I’d like to see Weise replaced with somebody who’s less of a useless pansy (Raffi Torres without the rep) and a ballsy 3rd pairing guy with size added (Fistric, Alberts, Jay Harrison, Ryan O’Byrne…I dunno). Other than that, I’m OK with seeing how things shake out at this point.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I say we play that Cederholm kid we drafted in the 5th round this year.

It's pretty clear his balls dropped well before most others!

Have him play some spot duty just to run over guys. He looks like he could legitimately hurt people.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Aaronp18 wrote:I say we play that Cederholm kid we drafted in the 5th round this year.

Have him play some spot duty just to run over guys. He looks like he could legitimately hurt people.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote:I say we play that Cederholm kid we drafted in the 5th round this year.

He can certainly destroy balls... :lol:

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:

He can certainly destroy balls... :lol:

Does he clear the front of the net like dat? :wow:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

how does one not get all flushed and gushy when thinking about the youth on this team
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I agree with the OP, I'd throw Corrado on that list too.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

There`s an interview with him on CDC as well.

"I play a simple game, tough, physical..."

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... ?id=262406
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:Do you ever wonder of maybe it was AV that kept the players balls in a jar on a shelf in the coaches office?
Look at kassian, he came here as advertised chucked his knuckles a couple of times and then strapped his tampon on like the rest of the girls.

Some nights it seemed like the mantra was play between the whistles or watch from the skybox

I mean how are you get down and dirty when your coach is trying to turn the game into a systems clinic?
I actually thought along those lines too. But when you look at our roster, it's tough to figure it out. I'm guessing we'll know soon enough, and it certainly won't be the way Tortorella runs things. His is a very different philosophy to AVs lose with your head held high.....Torts thinks that losing well just makes you a bigger loser.