Chris TANEV - what the deal is?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Chris TANEV - what the deal is?

Post by SKYO »

It was sounding like it was all over done with, with all the talk about Mike Gillis saying he's pretty confident he will re-sign Tanev, but then Tanev got a agent and now it appears he wants more cash obviously.

Problem is on Friday he becomes a RFA and can accept offer sheets from an aggressive team who can offer a $3M-$3.36M per contract, with the Canucks only receiving a 2nd rounder in return.

If ol' Gilly can't re-sign him asap, I think Tanev with his value somewhat skyrocketing this past season, he could land the Canucks a young star winger in return, especially if included in a package that included Burrows or some other forward like the bible beater.

Anyways just spitballin', I think this is why they are still listening to offers for Edler so Tanev can move up to the top 4 full time, and Tanev will probably re-sign tomorrow now. ha.

http://www.sportsoverdose.com/nhl-players/chris-tanev
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/24 ... v2#content
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: Chris TANEV - what the deal is?

Post by 5thhorseman »

Geez, can't believe that with millions of dollars at stake he had his dad negotiating for him till now. Then again, I don't know how much of a cut these agents take. Apparently Gillis has made enough cash to buy an NHL Team ;)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:It was sounding like it was all over done with, with all the talk about Mike Gillis saying he's pretty confident he will re-sign Tanev, but then Tanev got a agent and now it appears he wants more cash obviously.

Problem is on Friday he becomes a RFA and can accept offer sheets from an aggressive team who can offer a $3M-$3.36M per contract, with the Canucks only receiving a 2nd rounder in return.

If ol' Gilly can't re-sign him asap, I think Tanev with his value somewhat skyrocketing this past season, he could land the Canucks a young star winger in return, especially if included in a package that included Burrows or some other forward like the bible beater.

Anyways just spitballin', I think this is why they are still listening to offers for Edler so Tanev can move up to the top 4 full time, and Tanev will probably re-sign tomorrow now. ha.

http://www.sportsoverdose.com/nhl-players/chris-tanev
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/06/24 ... v2#content
Are you kidding me? There are lots of cheap replacements out there this year (buyouts + RFAs turn UFAs). Tanev is good but not $3-$4 m good... Anything over $1.75m is overpayment.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jovocop wrote:
SKYO wrote: Problem is on Friday he becomes a RFA and can accept offer sheets from an aggressive team who can offer a $3M-$3.36M per contract, with the Canucks only receiving a 2nd rounder in return.
Are you kidding me? There are lots of cheap replacements out there this year (buyouts + RFAs turn UFAs). Tanev is good but not $3-$4 m good... Anything over $1.75m is overpayment.
Which is the whole point of a offersheet to go above and beyond so a team hopefully doesn't match, I would think a 3 year $6M contract should suffice, but we all have no ideal why this contract isn't signed sealed and delivered just yet.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hearing that Tanev will re-sign here. Term is a sticking point, not cap. Canucks want a little longer term Tanev camp wants to be able to test FA when his time comes. Obviously can't guarantee it but sounds like things are going well and Tanev wants to remain and the Canucks obviously want him back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Not surprised Tanev would want a shorter term.

If I'm Gillis I would sacrifice a little salary for a longer term.

4 years 8 mil sounds pretty good, especially two years from now...
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Rumsfeld wrote:Not surprised Tanev would want a shorter term.

If I'm Gillis I would sacrifice a little salary for a longer term.

4 years 8 mil sounds pretty good, especially two years from now...
I'd go 5 years, 11mil. Not sure Tanev would though.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Hockey Widow wrote:Hearing that Tanev will re-sign here. Term is a sticking point, not cap. Canucks want a little longer term Tanev camp wants to be able to test FA when his time comes. Obviously can't guarantee it but sounds like things are going well and Tanev wants to remain and the Canucks obviously want him back.
Term is a sticking point because Canucks want a longer term and Tanev wants to be able to test FA when the time comes? Let's see... Tanev is 23 and will be a UFA in 4 years? So Gillis actually wants to lock up Tanev for more than 4 years? That's quite interesting. Wondering what type of dollars we're looking at.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

If that really is the issue then it should be pretty easy for both parties to agree on a bridge contract if a long term deal can't be worked out; Canucks can squeeze Tanev down to a lower cap hit during these lean years and don't have him going unrestricted at the end of the deal, and Tanev can prove himself a bit more prior to signing away his peak years as an NHL player.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

YA I'd be fine with a 3 year deal. He doesn't really have much leverage. He has not shown an offensive flare. He is sound defensively but lacks physicality. He has that all important right handed shot though :lol:
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Why would the Canucks want term on Tanev? As HW just described, he is serviceable but their is little upside. Strikes me as the type of guy who will hold the fort but you will also forever hope you can upgrade his spot in the lineup.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I don't believe the canucks will be looking for term that extends to UFA years. As soon as they start going down that path the money increases because you end up paying for those UFA years. The canucks right now have little cap space to play with and the long term deal will exasperate that cap situation. If I'm Gillis I'm looking at a one to two year bridge deal to see if Tanev can evolve past the third pairing guy he is. Given his offensive and size limitations I'm not sure he does. Even he does prove to be a reliable #4 he's never going to have a huge pay day (the thing one concerns themselves when giving out a bridge deal) because of the limitations he does have.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

tantalum wrote:I don't believe the canucks will be looking for term that extends to UFA years. As soon as they start going down that path the money increases because you end up paying for those UFA years. The canucks right now have little cap space to play with and the long term deal will exasperate that cap situation. If I'm Gillis I'm looking at a one to two year bridge deal to see if Tanev can evolve past the third pairing guy he is. Given his offensive and size limitations I'm not sure he does. Even he does prove to be a reliable #4 he's never going to have a huge pay day (the thing one concerns themselves when giving out a bridge deal) because of the limitations he does have.
I am going to guess the hold-up is 3 vs 4 years. Tanev is still a RFA in 3 years. I can see how he wants a 4 year deal, but Gillis would love a 3 year, so we hold the cards during the next contract. My guess is Tanev signs the end of August.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!