The all new Vancouver Canucks coaching staff

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

The all new Vancouver Canucks coaching staff

Post by SKYO »

"Tortorella, Sullivan and Gulutzan will call the shots from the Canucks bench next season. Interesting, Torts added another assistant."
confirmed by Dreger of all people.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: The all new Vancouver Canucks coaching staff

Post by Canuck-One »

Dreger isn't he the guy who reports for hockeybuzz :scowl:
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Sullivan wasn't a shocker, though I can't say I'm enthused as he evidently wasn't part of the solution in New York. A mini Torts, if reputation is to be believed - someone who follows up Torts' shouting with more yelling. I'd like to see what else he brings to the table besides his vocal chords.

As for Gulutzan, colour me intrigued. I think he got a bad rap in Dallas considering the roster he had to go with. Having said that, I wouldn't have been enthused if he had been named as head coach in Vancouver. As an assistant coach though, he might be the good cop of the bunch and it will be worth watching how his thinking will translate on the ice.

Question is, who will coach the defencemen? IIRC, Sullivan was a forward and so was Gulutzan (man, Wikipedia is quick with the news. Even they had Gulutzan as assistant coach!). Torts was a forward himself. Not saying you had to have been a defenceman to coach defencemen, but it would make sense.

I get the feeling there may be one more addition.

In any case, I'd like to know more about how this coaching team is going to work.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Lancer wrote:I get the feeling there may be one more addition.
With all the weapons grade assholes behind the bench they're going to have to bring back Ryan Walter just to balance it out. :D
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice to see Gulutzan behind our bench! :D

I enjoyed watching his teams in Vegas (ECHL) for a few years. Never outworked and always hustling.

He could be a great asset with the kids this year (we might have a few in the lineup).
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

Lancer wrote: As for Gulutzan, colour me intrigued. I think he got a bad rap in Dallas considering the roster he had to go with. Having said that, I wouldn't have been enthused if he had been named as head coach in Vancouver. As an assistant coach though, he might be the good cop of the bunch and it will be worth watching how his thinking will translate on the ice.
I'm happy with the Gulutzan addition. I don't think he got a bad rep at all. He's probably one of those player's coaches who is simply an average coach in the NHL. As an assistant or AHL coach he's excellent.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Lancer wrote:Question is, who will coach the defencemen? IIRC, Sullivan was a forward and so was Gulutzan (man, Wikipedia is quick with the news. Even they had Gulutzan as assistant coach!). Torts was a forward himself. Not saying you had to have been a defenceman to coach defencemen, but it would make sense.
Is Dave Babych still around? He was never an assistant and I was never sure of his title, but I think he worked with our D-men (probably more with our prospects though).

BurningBeard wrote:With all the weapons grade assholes behind the bench they're going to have to bring back Ryan Walter just to balance it out. :D
Yeah, I agree. If we have a bunch of SoBs behind the bench, we could probably use a nice cop. A walters type guy or even bones would of been nice. :lol:
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...what I want to see is Rollie Melanson back in Montreal to work with his boy Price and Francois Allaire in Vancouver working with Luongo.

Want a happy Lou?

Sign Allaire up.
DeLevering since 1999.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

donlever wrote:...what I want to see is Rollie Melanson back in Montreal to work with his boy Price and Francois Allaire in Vancouver working with Luongo.

Want a happy Lou?

Sign Allaire up.
Agreed!

And what SL said before, Torts needs a filter type and Craig Ramsay was perfect in that role, should have grabbed him.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Lancer wrote:Question is, who will coach the defencemen? IIRC, Sullivan was a forward and so was Gulutzan (man, Wikipedia is quick with the news. Even they had Gulutzan as assistant coach!). Torts was a forward himself. Not saying you had to have been a defenceman to coach defencemen, but it would make sense.
Is Dave Babych still around? He was never an assistant and I was never sure of his title, but I think he worked with our D-men (probably more with our prospects though).

BurningBeard wrote:With all the weapons grade assholes behind the bench they're going to have to bring back Ryan Walter just to balance it out. :D
Yeah, I agree. If we have a bunch of SoBs behind the bench, we could probably use a nice cop. A walters type guy or even bones would of been nice. :lol:
Have you been drinking North Van water? :evil:

More assholes! All the time, all over the place...until we win the Cup!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Arachnid wrote:More assholes! All the time, all over the place...until we win the Cup!
You're probably right. They should take the nuclear option and hire Guy Boucher as an assistant.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Arachnid wrote:More assholes! All the time, all over the place...until we win the Cup!
Wait a minute, don't we want more dicks? I mean, 'cause dicks fuck assholes. They fuck pussies too, so don't we want to be the fuckers instead of the fucked?

...having a slight Team America flashback. :lol:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Lancer wrote:

...well at least you've moved into the right millennium!

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Lancer wrote:
Wait a minute, don't we want more dicks? I mean, 'cause dicks fuck assholes. They fuck pussies too, so don't we want to be the fuckers instead of the fucked?

:lol:

That's twice today for me*...

NOT WORK (OR KID) SAFE!

Sorry Mods, couldn't resist :D

*how did you know? You're not one of us :evil:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Allaire was already signed as Patrick Roy's goalie coach in Colorado...