2013 FA Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

2013 FA Thread

Post by Hockey Widow »

Already this morning players were free to talk to teams. Lots of rumours floating around. The one that interests me is that of Iginla narrowing down his choices and Vancouver is said to be on his list of teams. I have no idea if this is from his agent or mere speculation at best. But what is interesting is that Cowpuke has exploded in outrage at the thought the Iginla could even consider Vancouver. 18 pages so far and they have digressed to out right hatred of the man.

Now more to the point, I can't see how the Canucks could fit him under the cap for what it is reported he wants. 2-3 year deal at the 4 million range. Now if he would do a 1 year deal with the understanding they team could talk extension in January I would like to see him on the team for 1 year at about 3.5.

You know he wants a cup and you know this may be his last contract. Other teams said to be on his final 4 are LA, NYR and Pittsburg. Again I don't know the source of this rumour so take it for what it is worth.
The only HW the Canucks need
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2013 FA Thread

Post by TDA Rum »

I read somewhere that players 35 and over could have bonuses deferred to next year... when the cap goes up... i think it was in the Boston trying to sign Alfredsson...
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

Hockey Widow wrote:Other teams said to be on his final 4 are LA, NYR and Pittsburg.
Still dissin' Boston is he? 8-)

Aw yea... the brutha remembers Wardgate and wants nuffin to wif dat city.
2011..... the one that got away.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Hockey Widow wrote:Already this morning players were free to talk to teams. Lots of rumours floating around. The one that interests me is that of Iginla narrowing down his choices and Vancouver is said to be on his list of teams. I have no idea if this is from his agent or mere speculation at best. But what is interesting is that Cowpuke has exploded in outrage at the thought the Iginla could even consider Vancouver. 18 pages so far and they have digressed to out right hatred of the man.

Now more to the point, I can't see how the Canucks could fit him under the cap for what it is reported he wants. 2-3 year deal at the 4 million range. Now if he would do a 1 year deal with the understanding they team could talk extension in January I would like to see him on the team for 1 year at about 3.5.

You know he wants a cup and you know this may be his last contract. Other teams said to be on his final 4 are LA, NYR and Pittsburg. Again I don't know the source of this rumour so take it for what it is worth.

I could see Vancouver as a very real possibility. The rumor is that he is going through a divorce, and if that's true, he may want to be closer to his kids (he spends the summers in the Okanagan). Anyway, he's past his "best before" date, although he can still contribute - but I think he's going to be invisible on a lot nights.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

I like Iginla as a complimentary scorer. He doesn't have to be the one doing everything on either the Sedins or Kesler's line.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

FAN wrote:I like Iginla as a complimentary scorer. He doesn't have to be the one doing everything on either the Sedins or Kesler's line.
Ya I sort of like
Sedin/Sedin/Iginla
Booth/Kesler/Kassian
Burrows/JS/ scorer
Higgins/Lain/Hansen
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
FAN wrote:I like Iginla as a complimentary scorer. He doesn't have to be the one doing everything on either the Sedins or Kesler's line.
Ya I sort of like
Sedin/Sedin/Iginla
Booth/Kesler/Kassian
Burrows/JS/ scorer
Higgins/Lain/Hansen
If I'm Gillis, I try like hell to sign a guy like Iginla, Horton or whomever else he thinks fits in the lineup. If you're succesful you can always trade to create cap room - could trade a Tanev and sign a minimum salary guy to replace him, going with Corrado in his spot instead. There are many options, but you have to get the free agents first.

No reason to sit on the sidelines, it's just money - sign a guy (you can go up to 10% over the cap in the summer if I remember correctly) and then worry about how to get under the cap. They would have the whole summer to figure it out.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Iggie is done. He was useless for the Pens in the playoffs and demoted to 4th line duty. Old and slow. The fact he stared for the Flames only highlights how bad that team had become.

off to read Bountiful with a fresh cup of coffee
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Steer clear of Horton. He'll command fat cash and comes with a concussion history, consistency issues and will have a difficult time living up to expectations without the support of Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand carrying his ass.

noidontthinksono.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Topper wrote:Iggie is done. He was useless for the Pens in the playoffs and demoted to 4th line duty. Old and slow. The fact he stared for the Flames only highlights how bad that team had become.

off to read Bountiful with a fresh cup of coffee
+1

Unless he's willing to play for $1 mill/yr and work on the 3rd line (which would still be a bad fit, IMO) I don't see the value in signing him. Unless he pulled a Brad Richards and didn't come into the shortened season in shape, I don't see him being any better next season than he was last season.

There are better options out there.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

I'd take Iggy in a heart beat (at the right cat hit)!

I don't believe Iginla has much left offensively. His best days are definitely behind him but he'll still get ya 25 goals, 50/60 points.

I think the real benefit would be having a professional like Iginla show our kids, Horvat, Gaunce, Kassian and Shinkaruk what it takes to be a pro. I can't think of a better mentor in the game right now. Say what you want about Iginla's diminishing skills, he's a leader, professional and truly one of the games good guys. IMO, there's value in what he can teach our young guys.

And he'll pot you 25!

If you can fit a guy like Iggy into our cap (I don't really see how), you do it!

Just my humble opinion. :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote:Iggie is done. He was useless for the Pens in the playoffs and demoted to 4th line duty. Old and slow. The fact he stared for the Flames only highlights how bad that team had become.
What was he staring at? Giving some one the evil eye?

And yeah, he has passed his best before date, but the twins would make him look like a superstar.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Eddy Punch Clock »

BladesofSteel wrote:Steer clear of Horton. He'll command fat cash and comes with a concussion history, consistency issues and will have a difficult time living up to expectations without the support of Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron and Marchand carrying his ass.

noidontthinksono.
I've read that Horton doesn't want to go to a hockey mad market anyways. His next team is going to be his semi-retirement... and they're not going to get value from him.

He'll count his money, polish his ring, protect his head (as he should) and mail it in most nights.
2011..... the one that got away.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

You hear a lot of negative stuff about Horton but if he's the right fit somewhere he's a big player who is a complete asshole out there, he'll get you 20 goals most seasons and he's still just 28.

It's a rare opportunity to pick up a player with those attributes in free agency.

BUT.. the concussion history is worrisome (still played a full season this year) and obviously if he's explicitly looking for a small market where he can blend into the scenery then Vancouver is out.

That would leave David Clarkson as the only young-ish, big-ish, asshole out there who can play a top six role. And he's going to probably give you David Booth-y production, which at $6m per or whatever it's going to take isn't particularly attractive.

Edit: forgot about Clowe but apparently he has his sights set back East.
Last edited by dbr on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I imagine Iginla fulfilling that Samuellson role - effective RW, moves up and down the lineup as needed, can be counted on for 50 points, and most importantly shoots right to tee them up on the PP.

I wouldn't want to expect him to stick with the Sedins for an entire season and put up 80 points again, but if he's cheap enough - man, what an upgrade on Samuelsson/Raymond.

So far the only UFA RHD I've found is Roszival, who apparently had a bit of a renaissance in Chicago.